Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

best player in the world

Comments

• Options
    It's a shame we won't ever have messi in the top flight of English football.

Pep...could you persuade him?

• Options

Daniel Levy will be better than all of them - he paid himself more than any Spurs player last year (£6.03m) so he must be bloody good.

Given Spurs' newly announced profits he probably deserves it
  • Options

Daniel Levy will be better than all of them - he paid himself more than any Spurs player last year (£6.03m) so he must be bloody good.

But that is because, relative to their position, their top players like Kane are the worst paid. And they will lose him and others because of it. You can replace a Spurs' Chairman. Replacing a 30-40 goal a season player at Spurs is a lot harder.
  • Options
    Ronaldo became the first player to score in 10 consecutive CL matches last night. He's also scored 23 goals in his last 12 matches in all comps.

Think I'd settle for being the second best player in the world in that form at the age of 33!
  • Options
    Messi....Ronaldo's a diver, I don't care how many goals or how he scores them..he is a cheat and has got away with it for years. Messi gets clattered every week and just gets up and gets on with it.
  • Options

But that is because, relative to their position, their top players like Kane are the worst paid. And they will lose him and others because of it. You can replace a Spurs' Chairman. Replacing a 30-40 goal a season player at Spurs is a lot harder.
    I think with the new tv deal and their new stadium move, you'll now start to see Spurs' top players go way over 100k a week. Kane will almost certainly be offered double his 100k a week to sign a new deal
  • Options
    Messi
  • Options
    Obviously goalscorers will always get the limelight,but for me Iniesta has been the outstanding player of this generation,a joy to watch,the complete midfielder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Messi....Ronaldo's a diver, I don't care how many goals or how he scores them..he is a cheat and has got away with it for years. Messi gets clattered every week and just gets up and gets on with it.

His team mates do all the moaning for him.

Love watching them both, but Ronaldo just edges it for me.
  • Options
    Messi every day. Team player, rarely whinges and closest player to Pele I have ever seen. Ronaldo is a very good player, whinges, dives and plays for CR7. Enjoy watching both of them play, but Ronaldo’s antics make me cringe at times.
    Maradona nowhere near greatness due to his issues - Eusebio and Cruyff in front of him easily.
  • Options
    Ronaldo and Messi are the best two players to ever play the game. Don't think it is possible to say one is better than the other although, of course, you might prefer one over the other for a variety of reasons.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Messi now but previously Dick Tydeman.
  • Options

Ronaldo and Messi are the best two players to ever play the game. Don't think it is possible to say one is better than the other although, of course, you might prefer one over the other for a variety of reasons.

Bold statement!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Bold statement!
    But bang on the money. Try and name one better than either.

• Options
    Messi by far. Love watching him play against English teams in the CL. Ronaldo's a bit of a cock to be honest.
  • Options
    To say Messi or Ronaldo are the best ever,means you could not have seen the great George best,he played on mudheaps,without the physical protection that players get today.I shudder to think how good he would have been today,he could have played in any era,could todays superstars play under the conditions that he did.
  • Options

To say Messi or Ronaldo are the best ever,means you could not have seen the great George best,he played on mudheaps,without the physical protection that players get today.I shudder to think how good he would have been today,he could have played in any era,could todays superstars play under the conditions that he did.

Great talent but imho he’s not even in the same argument. Maradonna and Cruyff were the next best two ever. Then there are dozens that were great but still nowhere near Messi or Ronaldo.

• Options
    A great player for me is defined that he obvious has to have great footballing ability but also has great sportsmanship and a good role model, only one of them has it. Messi by a country mile. Anyone else forgot Ronaldo's role in getting Rooney sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I could accept a cheating selfish prick score 23 in 12!!! Messi's no saint that's for sure!

Messi is undoubtedly more of a team player, I do get the impression he would be more than happy to miss 6 open goals if Barca won the game, whereas Ronaldo would be stropping left, right and centre.

But in terms of actual quality how important they are to their sides, it's too close to call. Ronaldo might get the edge just because he has done it in England too. Harsh on Messi but he has decided not to prove himself away from Barca.
  • Options
    :neutral:
  • Options

I could accept a cheating selfish prick score 23 in 12!!! Messi's no saint that's for sure!

Messi is undoubtedly more of a team player, I do get the impression he would be more than happy to miss 6 open goals if Barca won the game, whereas Ronaldo would be stropping left, right and centre.

But in terms of actual quality how important they are to their sides, it's too close to call. Ronaldo might get the edge just because he has done it in England too. Harsh on Messi but he has decided not to prove himself away from Barca.

Ronaldo has won a major international tournament too, in probably a weaker Portugal team than Messi has had the luxury of playing in with Argentina.
  • Options

What.....pissed? He would not have had the discipline to make it in today’s fitness first game.
  • Options
    And Messi never had to play against Kish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCIvMXjees
  • Options
    Ronaldo wins it for me, the devestating football he plays is ridiculous at times. He can score goals from all over the pitch, dead balls and headers as well as skillful dribbling through defences. He also single-handedly pulls Real Madrid and Portugal into contention, whereas Messi tried to give up on Argentina when the going got tough.

Messi is undoubtedly one of a kind, but Ronaldo edges him for me
  • Options

Ronaldo has won a major international tournament too, in probably a weaker Portugal team than Messi has had the luxury of playing in with Argentina.
    Both players are astonishing - looking at the goal stats, Ronaldo has 568 in 755 club games, Messi 554 in 660. Those are stats which make other quality players look ordinary, especially as neither are just "goalscorers"

However to be great, you have to achieve for your country, and Messi's lack of success with Argentina is the one "blot" on his place in footballing history. No World Cups and his goal scoring ratio is relatively poor as well, 61 in 123 games.
  • Options
    They cannot be directly compared for style of play, however for goals and assists Messi is the player you'd want.

For goals created from nothing and plenty of them, Ronaldo is your man.
  • Options
    I seem to recall,Moore,Greaves,Adams,all having drink problems,all would have walked in to any of todays premier top teams.
  • Options
    I don't think people understand that the whole game has vastly changed and most of your old favourites wouldn't walk into any team. They'd fail medicals and if by fluke they didn't, they'd have the problem that the then decent players were not as good as the modern decent players. Not as fast or fit.

Players like Best however, minus the alcohol, could have done a job still.