Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Leaburn on Talksport

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Shocked by the sacking of Dowie, suggested perhaps his character or the way he went about things wasn't right for Charlton.

In our current position, play should go out the window, results are all that matter. Lots of teams not far aware points wise, comforting that two or three others could easily get sucked in. A week ago he would of said we were going down, now thinks there still remains a glimmer of hope, but we desperately need to put a run together, and become tougher to beat.

Next set of fixtures are tough, we must look to tighten up the defence and stay solid, maybe pick up draws, and then look to be more expansive and attacking in the Fulham, Villa games that follow.

Kins back at the club is a bit of a strange one, but he has Charlton blood running through his veins and that appears the road the club want to go down at present. In light of what happened today, maybe Pardew would of been a good appointment (though he suggested as a buffer between Reed and Robson !!). Fans will be very happy with Kins back, a true Charlton legend and a leader. Reed will be looking to pass on experience to him.

Thought it was a strange decision to take off Andy Reid at Spurs, has been getting better with games under his belt, may of picked up a slight injury.

Lloyd Sam is apparently thought of quite highly, though we will be aware that when a side is under pressure its important you don't expose them too much. He'll want the ball, and has pace, and Charlton will always be a club that will give young players a chance.

JFH hasn't kicked in, can understand why we wanted him. Though he has lost half a yard, he does offer goals and that hasn't happened so far. Perhaps he has had to change his game a bit too much and would of been better suited to the Bent role.

Faye seemed a strange buy, too similar to say Kish and Holland. If we are going to spend in the window then a striker is important as you always need goals to get yourself out the bottom, and maybe a winger to offer more supply.

Would be a very strange decision if Bent moved on in January. Unless we already have a ready made replacement lined up, it would almost be like signing our own death warrant.

Comments

• Options
    "Charlton will always be a club that will give young players a chance"

I thought the fans were always complaining that Charlton WOULDN'T play the young players???
  • Options
    Well the bit about Charlton always give youngsters a chance of bollox.

This season COULD see that change.

Reid had an hamstring strain.
  • Options
    personally, i think they were scraping the barrel for a knowledgeable Charlton opinion, but i think Carl is trying to do a bit in the media lately. Don't think he had the greatest of knowledge of what is currently going on down at the Valley, and struggled a bit with a few of the questions.
  • Options
    We DESPERATELY need some kind of midfield...... if we can bring in someone to do something, anything to try and reenergise our midfield I dont know who and I dont have a clue who could fix us but that isnt my job... after the weekend it was palinly obvious that we are absolutley soft through the middle .. We need a captain as well ... no one after we scored against spurs on Saturday even fired the rest of the team up, there was no come on!!! there was no fight ... I was so depressed leaving the ground I felt like ... I dont know Im nervous and its back to the charlton weve all known before the charlton that you fear... as in if we go one up your sure wearent gonna hold it and if you go a goal down you dont think your gonna get it back..... THERES no team about us ....
  • Options
    'Thought it was a strange decision to take off Andy Reid at Spurs, has been getting better with games under his belt, may of picked up a slight injury.'

I thought it was a good decision. Already 4 or 5 down at the time the game was over. We have important games coming up and Andy is so important for those. If we'd have left him on and he'd picked up an injury then everyone would've slagged Les off for leaving him on when we could have negated that risk and also given him a rest. Wonder if Carl still gets dead legs all the time.