Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The official CL cooking thread

MCSMCS
edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
Hi,

Seeing as how i am gonna have a bit of time on me hands, i am going to be cooking a lot more. Now, i love my cooking, but am not necessarily an adventurous cook, i cook what i know!! Tonight, i have am going to be cooking dauphinoise potatoes! Anyone got any tips, as i think some i have had with cheese (Gruyere) but some i have had without!! I have never done one before, so any tips would be welcome!!

I am also going to do some chicken thighs, never done them either, so any thoughts or tips would be great!!

I know there are some pretty clued up cooks on here, as i know we have some threads on whats for dinner etc etc, but perhaps this could be an on going thread for people like AFKA who i know is an amazing cook, apparently he does a mean beans on toast!! ;-)

What is anyone else doing????

Comments

• TCE is a champion chef so I hear
  • T.C.E will help you out mate...
  • Yes, I've heard he's the Master.
  • every recipe you look up for the dauph spuds is different. so i just make my own version. i dont use cheese but i do add some sliced onions, like in rings to it to give more flavour.
  • Dolphin spuds ..... wassat????

For me and the GF, I'm cooking a mean, erm....... Pizza tonight.

Straight out of the freezer, add some more cheese, tomoatoes and chillies, knock up a bit of crunchy salad and a bottle of half-price red wine.

Takes 10 mins.

Anyone want more of my traditional Cornish recipes ...?
  • yeah TCE does look good in a white coat lol

Yeah B, i might just do that, i did think an onion would be good, what i am slightly concerned about is the talk of cream splitting co of too much heat in the oven???
  • edited February 2009
    I use grated gruyere in the cream and lashings of freshly ground black pepper. BBC recipes are usually OK. Re chicken thighs, as long as they're browned off first, anything using mixed herbs, lashings of tomatoes, chopped and gently fried onions plus a clove or two of garlic, sloshed together with sweetish sherry or madeira and chucked over the browned chicken thighs for cooking through. (Pancetta as a luxury add on). Garnish with freshly chopped basil. It can all be done on the hob in a covered fry pan. The two will work well together.
  • [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]I use grated gruyere in the cream and lashings of freshly ground black pepper. BBC recipes are usually OK. Re chicken thighs, as long as they're browned off first, anything using mixed herbs, lashings of tomatoes, chopped and gently fried onions plus a clove or two of garlic, sloshed together with sweetish sherry or madeira and chucked over the browned chicken thighs for cooking through. (Pancetta as a luxury add on). Garnish with freshly chopped basil. It can all be done on the hob in a covered fry pan. The two will work well together.

jamie_oliver_narrowweb__300x401,0.jpg
  • lol .... I thought he'd chopped his fingers off .... lol
  • Nice one Stilladdicted, i knew i would get some sound advice!! Was going to get some gruyere but they had sold out!!

But anyway scrap that mates just phoned me up, and invited us round where they are buying us a post redundancy take away bless!! SO going to cook me dolphin wha potatoes tomorrow lol

nite dudes
  • Sponsored links:

• salad tonight as I'm on a diet :-{
  • I am to cooking what you are to holiday tips Oli, but this is what I'm rustling up tonight.

Starter
    Crostini Lazio
    Italian in origin, crostini are 'little crusts'. In "PARIS" they are called croutons, but both are little rounds or squares of bread brushed with olive oil or butter, and sometimes crushed garlic, then baked in the oven.
    Main course
    Chicken Breasts with Wild Mushroom and Bacon Stuffing and Marsala Sauce
    This is a very simple way to deal with four boneless chicken breasts. The use of wild porcini mushrooms combined with the beautifully rich flavour of Marsala wine in the sauce turns them into something quite unusual and special.
    served with
    Colcannon Potatoes
    Another supremely good version of mashed potato, this is based on the Irish recipe for Colcannon potatoes, which was originally served in a fluffy pile with a sort of well in the centre that was filled with melted butter.
    Dessert
    Caramelised Apple Tart
    This recipe uses a ready-made natural caramel, which needs simply painting over the apples with a pastry brush. Serve it with lots of luscious crème fraiche, and you could be in Normandy!
  • Your missus not counting calories tonight, TCE .... ?

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]Yes, I've heard he's the Master.

I was waiting for the first play on my surname ;-) Master........ does MasterChef, had it all day at work! I've not even seen the programme, did I win?
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I am to cooking what you are to holiday tips Oli, but this is what I'm rustling up tonight.

Starter
    Crostini Lazio
    Italian in origin, crostini are 'little crusts'. In "PARIS" they are called croutons, but both are little rounds or squares of bread brushed with olive oil or butter, and sometimes crushed garlic, then baked in the oven.
    Main course
    Chicken Breasts with Wild Mushroom and Bacon Stuffing and Marsala Sauce
    This is a very simple way to deal with four boneless chicken breasts. The use of wild porcini mushrooms combined with the beautifully rich flavour of Marsala wine in the sauce turns them into something quite unusual and special.
    served with
    Colcannon Potatoes
    Another supremely good version of mashed potato, this is based on the Irish recipe for Colcannon potatoes, which was originally served in a fluffy pile with a sort of well in the centre that was filled with melted butter.
    Dessert
    Caramelised Apple Tart
    This recipe uses a ready-made natural caramel, which needs simply painting over the apples with a pastry brush. Serve it with lots of luscious crème fraiche, and you could be in Normandy!
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Your missus not counting calories tonight, TCE .... ?

;o)

Oops, silly me...............and a Diet coke ;-)
  • Diet Coke? Yep, that should do the trick...... !

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: tricky[/cite]Yes, I've heard he's the Master.

I was waiting for the first play on my surname ;-) Master........ does MasterChef, had it all day at work! I've not even seen the programme, did I win?

Yep, 'you' won!

Spider crab, spider crab...
  • edited February 2009
    You can keep your "peters pies" next season's speciality grub in The Covered End will be T.C.E s Tarts, also crabs..... you haven't lived until you've had crabs in South London :-0
  • Just had a toasted cheese sandwich. Wicked!
  • I just had a toasted cheese sarnie with thinly sliced frankfurter in it! (well by just i mean at 7 am this morning)
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sucking up to my potential new boss at work and have bought in home made cookies. They are going down a treat so the job interview next week is surely just a formality!!!
  • well that's that then you dearie are bringing cookies to the summer meet!
  • LENTIL SHEPHERDS PIE...make loads and freeze individual portions for emergency meals/other days.

GET.
    Green and Brown lentils
    Guilin Chilli Sauce (See Woo cash and carry Charlton).
    Marmite
    A couple of tins of quality chopped tomatoes
    Mixed Herbs
    Red green and yellow peppers.
    Spuds
    Carrots
    Swede
    Good cheese (at least level five vegetarian cheddar)
    Ground black pepper.
    Individual freezer dishes
    Big shepherds pie oven dish.

Soak a mixture of lentils overnight (not the red split ones).
    Chop some red green and yellow peppers.
    Peel spuds, carrots and swede for the mash.
    Grate the cheese.
    Wash and rinse the lentils well
    Put lentils on to boil and then simmer, just enough water to cover them, as the soaking overnight will do the trick, be prepared to spoon off a lot of the excess liquid as they cook.
    Boil up the mix of spuds swede and carrotts for the mash. If the veg cooks early in the whole process, drain and put aside in the pan with a little semi skimmed milk added to stop burning and sticking to the bottom.
    When lentils have simmered for about 20 mins, drain/spoon off as much of the excess liquid as possible.
    Add the herbs and chopped peppers to the lentils, stir in.
    Add a bigish spoon of chilli sauce and stir in.
    Add the chopped tomatoes to the lentils to re-juice the whole kit and caboodle, stir in and simmer.
    Just before you finish cooking the lentil mix add a big dollop of marmite, and stir in (don't put the marmite in too early in the process.).
    Mash the veg with liberally added grated cheese/a little butter .

Dollop out the lentil mix into the dishes.
    Spread the mash on top (don't worry if the mash is a bit lumpy, the oven cooking will soften the lumps)
    Save the freezer portions to cool down
    Cook the major shepherds pie in the oven (clear up dishes/mess while its cooking), ten minutes from the end, add cheese to the top.
    Serve with lightly cooked green veg, like broccolli, or peas (do in microwave to save aggro).

Feel good because you cooked so much the reserve shepherds pies will save the cooking another day.
  • OK, I've never cooked, don't even know how to turn the oven on to be honest.

But I've finally decided I want to start learning and get serious about it - so what's the best dishes to start with?
  • edited May 2009
    SM do you have a grill?

If you have a grill - Cheese on Toast - toast one side of the bread as normal then turn the bread over and lightly toast this side until golden brown.

Remove the toast and lay 4 thin slices of Level 5 Pilgrims choice cheese accross the toast and toast until cheese is bubbling or golden brown.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]OK, I've never cooked, don't even know how to turn the oven on to be honest.

But I've finally decided I want to start learning and get serious about it - so what's the best dishes to start with?

throw yourself in the deep end and do a roast, i did that and i love cooking now, try to cook anything.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]SM do you have a grill?

Oh yeah, I can do toast!
  • [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]OK, I've never cooked, don't even know how to turn the oven on to be honest.

throw yourself in the deep end and do a roast, i did that and i love cooking now, try to cook anything.

Fair enough, will give it a go. My wife can tell me what I am doing wrong, lol.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sous Chef Dazzler21[/cite]
    If you have a grill - Cheese on Toast - toast one side of the bread as normal then turn the bread over and lightly toast this side until golden brown.

Remove the toast and lay 4 thin slices of Level 5 Pilgrims choice cheese accross the toast and toast until cheese is bubbling or golden brown.
  • I'm making lamb koftas tonight - but no idea what to cook with them - any ideas?