Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Les Reed debate

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Firstly, Varney said Reed was too busy with fans forums, selling tickets for the Wycombe game, and err preparing the side for the Reading game to discuss a contract, but they would sit down and get it sorted the week after.

I haven't noticed anything suggested either a contract has been agreed, or that it has been signed. Have i missed it ?

Secondly, lets see where everyone stands at present.

If we see no real pick up in the next few months, how long will it be before you feel the board should change the management again ?

Or do you feel we are all getting caught up in a poor situation, are being far too reactive, and that Reed and the rest of the management team deserve to be given a proper run till the end of the season ? That they haven't even had the chance to purchase a player yet or stamp their authority on the squad ?

Comments

• Options
    You can't make a purse out of a sow's ear, the problem is squad is lacking in key areas IMHO.
  • Options
    I think Jose Mourinho would struggle to get results with that shower of shite TBH.
  • Options
    wasn't les reed in from the beginning of dowie's reign, so surely he must've had some input with the players coming in? i just think from the start of reeds management it's been the same old tripe and if anything it's got worse since dowie left, les reed doesn't come across as an inspirational sort of leader but hopefully he'll prove me wrong
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't know what to think with regard to the contract.

I think we've got to go along with Reed unless an outstanding manager that we're sure the players will respond to comes along. Even then it'll be a hell of a risk to change again.
  • Options
    problem as I see it is that both Reed and Robbo were coaches under Dowie and so nothing has in effect changed. Les Reed is a nice guy, a good coach and very knowledgeable but isn't imo a manager. In fact he left us after the play-off promotion because he didn't want to work with senior pro's but with kids hence the move to the FA. Now he's not only working with senior pro's but managing them. I reckon he's a stop-gap and the situation will be reassessed in January. If Pardew is available then he'll be appointed Manager with at least Robbo remaining as assistant.
  • Options
    I really would not be suprised if in 6 months time we have in Reed Robson and Kinsella, the right pieces of the jigsaw, but fitting the wrong roles.

Reed deserves to be given his chance, but he is going to have to learn very quickly that following everything by the book will only get you so far, and that everyone else in your industry is not as nice or sympathetic as you.

He has the knowledge, he needs to toughen up though.
  • Options
    The Charlton job was always going to be a potential poisoned chalice after Curbs.

I feel Curbs was exceptionally good rather than Dowie (and Reed) being bad.

Dowie's results (not all his fault as I've said before) made the situation even worse.

I therefore salute Les Reed for having the balls to take it on and am prepared to give him time.

If, as is probable now, we go down then we will be using more young players and Les Reed is excellent with the youngsters so I would stick with him whatever happens.
  • Options
    In my opinion we need to see what they do in the january transfer window and how they fare between now and the end of the season. No point in getting someone else in and having yet more upheaval. It's going to be hard in the transfer window as Dowie's already spent 11m, so how much will Reed have available?
    I am confident though that Reed, robson and kinsella can sort it out for us though.
  • Options
    I heard Reed left when he did cos the board refused to guarantee him as Curbs successor.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I heard Reed left when he did cos the board refused to guarantee him as Curbs successor.

you heard wholly incorrectly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really, how you know? What was real story then?
  • Options
    being reeds a "charlton man" im sure he will have the intrests of the club at heart,and if we get to detached down the bottom he will leave it for someone who can do the job.
  • Options
    just looked at the table again. It's not that we are adrift and certainly have a chance of getting out of it. However, the squad is unbalanced, we no-one of captain quality, we have no passion, no confidence but worst of all no midfield. Faye is a major disappointment, Kish and Holland try but are not up up it, and Hughes, well enough said. Two decent midfielders and I really think we then have the squad capable of pulling us out of it. If we have to sacrifice Bent to do that though we may be cutting off our nose to spite our face. With Benty we always have that goal threat and trying to replace him with say Freddie Eastwood would be a big gamble. A win at least from the next two games is a must.
  • Options
    Just a massive essay on this subject, prob my longest thread so far, it took me so long when i pressed the 'add your comments' button, it said error and all that, lost it all, wasted 20 mins doing it, and didnt even get posted!

This day is slowly going from shit to worse shit.
  • Options
    give it another go 'dood'.
  • Options
    the defence is a shambles as well , el kack and herman not good enough for the prem
  • Options
    Its the Players not the Management. How motivational can a person be, you cant get brian hughes to turn in premiership performances when he hasn't got the ability. I think that about most of our squad. Did we get to big for our boots when we finished in the top 10.

At the end of the day, we lost to spurs 5-1, was it really a total shock that a team with their ability and two 10mil strikers beat us in that way. Every single one of their players is better than ours and that is the same for most teams. Spending 12mill is Nothing these days.

I think with the amount of money we have and the size of our club, we should expect to be doing this every season n the Prem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]
    At the end of the day, we lost to spurs 5-1, was it really a total shock that a team with their ability and two 10mil strikers beat us in that way. Every single one of their players is better than ours and that is the same for most teams. Spending 12mill is Nothing these days.

Then in that case, don't you then go there and try and make it as difficult for the other team possible ?

In our last two away games, we've conceeded four goals from outside the box. We are simply not closing down quick enough or picking up free men.

We're averaging conceeding 1.7 goals per game. If you don't do the defensive basics then you'll never give yourself a platform to build anything from.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Johnny Aah[/cite]give it another go 'dood'.

Would love to, but i am busy and i cant type that quick!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Johnny Aah[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ns_eb_rj_s?[/cite]

Then in that case, don't you then go there and try and make it as difficult for the other team possible ?

In our last two away games, we've conceeded four goals from outside the box. We are simply not closing down quick enough or picking up free men.

We're averaging conceeding 1.7 goals per game. If you don't do the defensive basics then you'll never give yourself a platform to build anything from.

Yes you do just that which is exactly what Curbs used to do only to have people moaning about not being entertained and "boring" football.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    its not a case of what's boring or entertaining at the moment, that's out the window. We just have to adapt a system that will deliver points, regardless of the style of play.
  • Options
    I get a feeling Les might have a word with Richard Murray, and tell him to get Pards, just to take the pressure back off
  • Options
    It'll all end in tears. F**K it, lets get Lennie Lawrence Back!
  • Options
    My personal view is that Reed was never the right man for the job, he was the easy option. Giving him the job meant that the management structure the board wanted wasn't exposed for the balls up that it was.

The Board must know bite the bullet and go for Pardew. If he is happy to work with Reed then fair enough but it has to be his choice. If he isn't then he must be allowed to bring in his own people.

I have nothing against Reed, his is an excellent coach but the more I see him the more I think that he just isn't going to get us out of trouble...
  • Options
    If Les Reed had the same players that we had pre-Parker departure then we would think of him differently.

We just have to admit sometimes that 6 or 7 of our "first team" are just not up to the standard required to survive in this league.

No manager in the world can influence natural ability of players.
  • Options
    I think events over the Thames have overtaken this debate, to be honest.
  • Options
    Agree with WSS, and how long would you give Pardew?? Reed is here to stay I think for a while anyway. The tranfers to come shortly will be the changes that can make or break us.
  • Options
    We're in big doo-doo...