Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Champions League Football

Technically some of the play is excellent but I have to say that the entertainment value of the games is well below where it should be for my money.

I think part of the problem from these last 16 games is the two-legged nature of the ties which make the first leg's real cat and mouse affairs and pretty dull to watch.

The other problem is the "away goal" rule, I have always hated it and thought it a nonsense, and I think it creates too much caution in the first leg from the home team who should really go out an attack but hold back because they know conceeding a goal will give them a mountain to climb.

Comments

• Options
    For someone who has always been something of a football addict, i've not watched a single televised game through the whole 90 minutes yet this season. Just no enthusiasm for it.
  • Options
    i mean premiership footy/champions league footy different gravy....... chelsea v liverpool a joy to watch....
    still league one is allegedly really exciting
  • Options
    Cracking game: Chelsea -Liverpool 4-4, and Chelsea win 7-5 on aggregate and go on to play Barcelona in the semis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]For someone who has always been something of a football addict, i've not watched a single televised game through the whole 90 minutes yet this season. Just no enthusiasm for it.
    Same here, was playing pro evo whilst the game was on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i mean premiership footy/champions league footy different gravy....... chelsea v liverpool a joy to watch....
    still league one is allegedly really exciting

It was a cracking game to watch, however that cannot be said for 90% of european football. There were lots of empty seats, I know it's Stamford Bridge and empty seats are to be expected but it took me by surprise how many there were.

I'll support us wherever we play mate, the agenda is wearing a bit thin now don't you think? When people were embracing relegation it was making the best of a bad deal. I doubt anyone was hoping and praying for us to get into this state.

I'd rather support Charlton than wear a divvy replica chelsea shirt down the pub to see my team wouldn't you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite] When people were embracing relegation it was making the best of a bad deal.

and that's what i find really really odd ..... i can't see how at any point relegation should be embraced but each to their own and if some people wanted to kid themselves i guess that's up to them , i'm happy to wallow in my own(teams) self pity and not pretend things are good when they are clearly not.....
  • Options
    i'm happy to wallow in my own(teams) self pity and not pretend things are good when they are clearly not.....

Then wallow away, it seems there are some people who's only happiness is misery.

No one is pretending things are good, and I don't see the point in turning every thread into an exercise in self-flagellation.
  • Options
    I was making the point that relegation is not good no matter how you dress it up
    but back on thread what a wonderful match that was tonight and i think barca will edge it over chelsea in the semi final and i'm sure porto v man utd will be a good un as well.....
  • Options
    Very good match last night and Im always pleased to see Liverpool or Man u lose, so many plastics around here.
  • Options
    Watching that game last night reminded me why i fell in love with football in the first place. There is just something about Liverpool & European games that just produces magical open exciting football. Just when you think football has lost its mojo, you get a game like that. Tremendous!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]I was making the point that relegation is not good no matter how you dress it up

I agree with you and felt the same as you, and said so, at the time when people were saying relegation would be good and the CCC fun but you've made the point again and again and again and in every thread regardless of the topic ever since.

just give it a rest for a while and take up some other cause, getting the name of the away end right for example. No one ever picks people up on that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shrew[/cite]Very good match last night and Im always pleased to see Liverpool or Man u lose, so many plastics around here.

Don't like either side so was happy that they both had a few anxious moments. Great game to watch and some laughable and some great goals.

Torres going off just before Liverpool scored was funny but I think ITV could have given us more pictures of Stevie G. sitting in the directors box, Stevie G. getting up at half time, Stevie G. celebrating the goals etc. I know when I watch a game of football I like to see what the injured players are doing.

PS Note to ITV. Someone get John Toshack a bigger chair. Fine for a midget like Joe Cole but not a big bloke like Tosh (he used to write poetry you know)
  • Options
    for the record i never mentioned relegation until it was embraced elsewhere ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]... but I think ITV could have given us more pictures of Stevie G. sitting in the directors box, Stevie G. getting up at half time, Stevie G. celebrating the goals etc. I know when I watch a game of football I like to see what the injured players are doing.

We saw more of Stevie G in the crowd than we have seen of Charlton all bloomin' season..
  • Options
    I've seen better 4-4's.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: L Block JT[/cite]I've seen better 4-4's.[/quote]

Me too. Just one though.

It was superb game mind. I think the nay sayers missed out last night.
  • Options
    I was willing the scousers to do it last night. Every time I watch them I despise them more and more.
  • Options
    i wanted both teams to lose good stress for em all !!
  • Options
    ........and barcelona's goal.
    pinball wizardry.
  • Options
    good to see man utd and arsenal make it thru , that'll make it a spicy semi
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm no fan of Clive Tyldesley (man utd fan) but smiled at his the flag waving has stopped comment!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I'm no fan of Clive Tyldesley (man utd fan) but smiled at histhe flag waving has stoppedcomment!

Too true. Your team goes 2 down inside the first 15 mins in the semi of the games biggest competition. Do you:

A) pick them up, getting behind them even more realising that you still have more than 3/4 of the game to go...or
    B) sit there crying like a baby. Literally.

Christ, talk about plastic fans. They wanna try a season like we've just had if they want something to cry about!
  • Options
    i thought arsenal would put up a better fight than this , united have smashed em
  • Options
    I hate United with a passion, but feck me what a goal that was. Reminds me of the one I saw them score at highbury a few years back in the game where Wright jumped on Schmeichel's leg - from defending a corner to putting the ball in the net at the other end ten seconds later
  • Options
    fletcher sent off and out of final.... tough decision , i think fletcher played the ball first
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]fletcher sent off and out of final.... tough decision , i think fletcher played the ball first

"But boss, I played the ball first. I know we were 4-0 up with fifteen minutes to play, but surely I did the right thing didn't I? Boss? Boss..?"
  • Options
    57,000 red and white flags for sale, only used for 7 minutes. The professor "knew" Arsenal would win tonight. No-one sulks quite like a Gooner. Love it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]fletcher sent off and out of final.... tough decision , i think fletcher played the ball first

Clearly got the ball. Very harsh sending off and apparently they can't even appeal it.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Fletcher, I thought it was a poor decision by the ref. Even more stupid though is the rule of no appeal now he will miss possibly one of the biggest games of his career. Nice to see the Arsenal fans supporting their team ( how empty was that stadium after Man U's last goal).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: w/sladeaddick[/cite]Feel sorry for Fletcher, I thought it was a poor decision by the ref. Even more stupid though is the rule of no appeal now he will miss possibly one of the biggest games of his career.

Yeah, this issue of not being able to appeal makes no sense - certainly has no legal basis or common sense - but then it is UEFA!