Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Walton - Charlton's Saviour

WSSWSS
edited December 2006 in General Charlton
No pressure Simon, but i'm relying on you to keep us up and become future club captain.

My Ipswich ST holder colleague seems to think he is exactly who we need, a nasty piece of work with decent ability.

Comments

• Just may have been one of the worst mistakes of the season sending him down there, surely cant be any worse than what we've got.
  • I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but I was told that he will never play for Charlton after aggrro on the training field with most of the 'senior pros' after he arrived...apparently that is why he was shipped out. If this is true, then expect to see him next year when all the senior pros go in search of the next fat pay cheque once we're relegated.
  • Charlie - where did you get that from? (not saying I don't necessarily believe you - just interested to know)
  • Mate of a mate down the pub type of thing - so, probably utter rubbish...
  • Must be rubbish as Les Reed said he'll be recalling him as soon as possible on Jan 1.
  • did he play for ipswich over the w/e or was he suspended cos he didn't take their penalty....he might be a tough guy but it sounds like he's a right helmet and we don't need any trouble in the sinking ship.....IMO the guy seems very slow and average whenever i've watched him play, a poor mans robbie savage
  • We need a player to kick people up in the air, we have too many Pussy's
  • He was an unused sub. Just back from suspension though but after the game where he was sent off, their manager Jim Magilton laid into him, said he was stupid, needed to grow up and sort his head out.
  • No he is not ready we should send him on loan agains soon as he is back. He has no experience of PL football .

Ooops sorry thought I was someone else then
  • I've only seen him the once - in the friendly at Millwall. Looked like a right headcase, got involved in something off the ball twice.

Maybe we need that bit of fight - but not if it means we end up playing with 10 men!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Arfur[/cite]No he is not ready we should send him on loan agains soon as he is back. He has no experience of PL football .

Ooops sorry thought I was someone else then

IMO that is a kop out of a saying. Darren Bent had no PL experience. Hardly any of the Reading side have PL experince, and look at them! Lets bring him back, and see what the boy can offer!
  • I know you can take these rumours with a pinch of salt, but i remember being suprised at the time at just how quickly he was shipped out. I remember thinking he was obviously not up to the level we were suspecting, or something had gone on.

I would not of ruled it out, even if he does re-emerge in Jan.
  • It's pretty much what Spurs did a couple of years ago when the bought the likes of Davenport, Huddlestone & Co. Sign them then loan them out straight away, let them learn the game elsewhere rather than the protective bubble of the reserve league.
  • To be honest though AFKA, unless they're Wayne Rooney not many 18 year olds get bought and played immediately in the PL. I don't even think he was played that often at Leeds last year. I'm pretty sure he would've been bought for the future and loaned out for the experience. Reed was there in the summer when Walton was signed, and he's said he'll be recalled as soon as we can get him back. That doesn't suggest any problems to me. Only time will tell though.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but I was told that he will never play for Charlton after aggrro on the training field with most of the 'senior pros' after he arrived...apparently that is why he was shipped out. If this is true, then expect to see him next year when all the senior pros go in search of the next fat pay cheque once we're relegated.

If that is true then I say good on him. On their performances this season, our "senior pros" deserve all the aggrro they get!
  • O4 MCS - My pbvious sarcasm and piss taking of another board member obviously FLEW right over your head u silly sod.
  • obviously it has. Still now that you have informed me, i am still none the wiser. Thanks arf
  • lol ok mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but I was told that he will never play for Charlton after aggrro on the training field with most of the 'senior pros' after he arrived...apparently that is why he was shipped out. If this is true, then expect to see him next year when all the senior pros go in search of the next fat pay cheque once we're relegated.

yeh was he singing "your just a fat eddie murphy"?
  • Lol - I was told he was flying into tackles, clattering players and generally ruffling feathers - not a bad thing IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• not a bad thing at all... probably dennis prancing round like the flaming great big jessie that he is.
  • He said: "I called him a ponce and now I'm calling you one: PONCE !!!"
  • Withnail and I.......two large gins...... and two ciders .... Ice in the Cider
  • "I must go home at once and discuss his problems in depth..............."
  • What are you doin????? 'Makings Time'
  • I remember thinking he was obviously not up to the level we were suspecting, or something had gone on.

Given the strength of our midfield and available options I think the decision was to loan him out thinking that he wouldn#t be needed. I suspected at the time that Dowie wanted to play Faye and Reid as first choice midfielders and give Pouso, Hughes, Holland, Kish, Romm etc a fair try to see if they were worth persevering with or letting go, meanwhile Walton gets first team experience etc rather than sit on the bench or in the stands. At the point when he was loaned out, it was before the injury crisis and before most of that list looked past it. Reed has said that Walton will be back in January and I think he'll be chucked in at the deep end.
  • cafcfan said:

I see he played for Billericay in a PSF against Ebbsfleet a couple of days ago. Still only 30.

Here's a reminder of what Dowie said when he shelled out half a million plus add-ons.

"Simon is a talented boy and he might surprise a few people."
    "He's very competitive, a very strong runner in terms of power and a great athlete who is very comfortable on the ball.

"We think he's a very good investment for the future, but looking at his attributes he's a lad capable of playing in the Premiership sooner rather than later as well."

Think i read that he's been made their captain for next season.
  • I dont think its fair to hold Walton or Dowie against that last quote

Plenty of players have been snapped up from the Lower Leagues and abroad in recent years by Premier League clubs that are confident they'll establish themselves at the top level

You could probably lose count of those that have gone on to fail