Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sit down and be quiet during matches

Surely, you couldn't make it up .... or is this what 21st century football is coming to? :

"Middlesbrough fans have been told to sit down and be quiet during matches at their team's Riverside Stadium by a club official.

Safety officer Sue Watson had letters handed out to fans during Saturday's 0-0 home draw with Wigan Athletic asking them keep the noise down as they had received complaints from some supporters.

That goalless draw - for which there were more than 11,000 empty seats at the 34,000-capacity venue - leaves Boro in the relegation zone, two points from safety in 19th place.

Comments

• Options
    I read this, this morning - it's ludicrous.

It said "if the ball is not at your end can you please sit down"

Ha ha ha.
  • Options
    Middlesbrough supporters were told they could cheer when their team scored - but must keep the noise down at all other times.

With Middlesbrough struggling against relegation - and just one goal scored in the last nine games - the club's edict could make for a very quiet stadium.
    Fans in one corner of the club's stadium were asked to stop the 'constant banging and noise' following complaints from other home fans.

A letter handed out before Saturday's match warned: 'Make as much noise as you like when we score. But this constant noise is driving fans mad.'

Now they are calling for the resignation of the club's safety manager Sue Watson, who wrote the letter.
  • Options
    Alos read this not long ago

Its crazy

They should just all sit there in silence from beginning to end

See how it is then
  • Options
    "They should just all sit there in silence from beginning to end"

Arsenal fans would sue
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]
    Its crazy

They should just all sit there in silence from beginning to end

I've been at The Valley when it's just like this - apart from a couple of hecklers, "You're SH!T, Ambrose!" and booing poor old Kevin Lisbie when he was just warming up.

Still, no more, eh?

With the free pair of rose-tinted specs being given away free with the programme at our next home match,
    even Kelly Youga will look like a world-beater.

;o)
  • Options
    classic - Boro have since issued an apology on their website saying the letter could have worded better.

All the same the f****** fans moaning about noise FFS - - what do they expect it is a poxy game of football
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I hope football implodes and the anti football fan brigade get what they deserve fuk all but park football.

i get so pissed off being told what is ok and what is not to sing or say in a stadium i know what is ok i am an adult, if i want to call someone a cnut i will if i wanted to call them it in the street i would ,

this tollerance bollox winds me up it is a place where you wear your heart on your sleve your emotions are there to be seen if you dont want to show feelings in that way then dont but dont preach that because you dont every one else shouldnt,

I have said it before I HATE the CAFC,CAFC,CAFC,CAFC,CAFC,CAFC song i just dont sing it it i dont fecking care that much about it, if people want to bang and scream and swear if i didnt like it i would move seat it aint as if the Valley or Riverside is full to the brim with no option to move
  • Options
    Was the same letter issued to our fans?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Was the same letter issued to our fans?[/quote]

No being quiet just came natural to them
  • Options
    The problem has arisen because some Boro fans decided they needed more atmosphere in the ground so moved to a "quiet" area close to the away fans.

Exactly like people on here have been suggesting with some moving to the South or East.

Obviously upset the flask and blanket brigade :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    letter in full

Dear Block 52A Suporter

Standing at Riverside Stadium

Over the last few games this season the stewards have tried hard to persuade you all to sit down in this area of the ground.

The club are grateful of and encourage your noisy passionate support, but please remember that the Safety Certificate for the ground, issued by Middlesbrough Council, does not allow permanent standing within the seating areas.

i know when the action is exciting and the team are shooting at the north end of the ground the instinct of every fan is to stand, i do not want to stop you doing this, but then please sit down. If you adhere to this but still maintain your level of support then all parties will be happy.

We need to work with the stewards towards a saf enviroment, this compromise is the way forward and respects the wishes of the other fans, which want to sit in the same area as you but cannot stand.

I am receiving more and more complaints from our own fans also seated in this area about both the persistant standing and the constant banging and noise coming from the back of the stand. Please stop, make as much noise as you like when we score, but this constant noise is driving some fans mad
  • Options
    has someone given this to the inter fans?
  • Options
    If what 'Buckshee' has posted above is an accurate reproduction of the statement from 'Boro's safety officer. It sorta takes the sting out of the astonishment and pisstake element of this thread. Everything written is in my opinion reasonable. With the exception of the last paragraph, which i think goes a bit too far.
    It may be a good idea to send this letter to all Man U supporters.
  • Options
    So basically they've said 'Please don't stand all the time, and please don't bang on the back of the stand for 90 mins' but just worded it very badly. It comes across as please sit in silence but I don't think that is what is meant at all.

Not sure I totally agree with the sentiment but it's a lot less sensational than the media were making it sound today.
  • Options
    The single most ridiculous footballing matter i think i've ever heard.
  • Options
    Boro have only scored something like once in 9 matches, so their fans probably now won't get much banging time, lol
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if the banging on the stands is people trying to escape !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Wouldn't be surprised if the banging on the stands is people trying to escape !

or wake each other up.
  • Options
    Press in Twisting Club Statement to Generate Over Reaction Shock
  • Options
    Its health and safety political correctness EU gone mad..