Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst five signings since we got back to The Valley

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Thought the question was worst signings not worst players? 

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Completely understand all the points, and I probably have been harsh on Rommedah,l and maybe he belongs more in disappointing signings, but when I said 'worst' in no way do I think he's the worst player to play for outside of the Roland era. Relatively speaking, he massively under performed compared to the reputation he came with and a lot of his performances. 

And to this point:

"If Dennis was one of the worst five, then nearly all of Roland's signings must have been better than him". 

I did a separate ranking of the worst five in the Roland era, so that's not what I was saying at all. 
  • Options

Never understood why McCormack is included - seems to be more about personal dislike? He was certainly average but didn't stand out as particularly bad.

Oxo Tower incident didn't help but for me it was the bottling out of challenges which led to him being hauled off at half time by Parky that sticks in my memory
  • Options
    For me it was the half dozen signings imposed on Chris Powell in January 2014 - only footballer among them was Ajdaravic and he could barely play for 20 minutes before running out of steam
  • Options

Never understood why McCormack is included - seems to be more about personal dislike? He was certainly average but didn't stand out as particularly bad.

Oxo Tower incident didn't help but for me it was the bottling out of challenges which led to him being hauled off at half time by Parky that sticks in my memory
    Nothing sticks in my mind about him tbf
  • Options
    Completely understand all the points, and I probably have been harsh on Rommedah,l and maybe he belongs more in disappointing signings, but when I said 'worst' in no way do I think he's the worst player to play for outside of the Roland era. Relatively speaking, he massively under performed compared to the reputation he came with and a lot of his performances. 

And to this point:

"If Dennis was one of the worst five, then nearly all of Roland's signings must have been better than him". 

I did a separate ranking of the worst five in the Roland era, so that's not what I was saying at all. 
    Yes, if you were say a Bournemouth or Swansea fan evaluating the worst players of the last 20 years, you'd have to go with the ones they had in L2 as clearly they were worse players than the ones who played in the Premier League. But that's a different question to the worst signings, which for Swansea would be in the PL before they got relegated, even if they were better players than their L2 players.

Similarly someone like Bryan Hughes has played regularly in the PL so is a better player than say Johnny Jackson who played nearly all his career outside the PL, but that doesn't stop Jackson being the better signing.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rossman92 said:
    Makienok should be nowhere near this list. 
    Brought in to score goals alongside Igor in a season where we were favorites to be promoted (What a thought), and bagged 5 in 37 appearances. Frustrating for me but did score vs Hull and assist for JBG's winner so I'll give him props for that. Only positive from that whole season
    Rotherham away?

Can't find a mention of Super Alan Pardew's super star signing Dean Sinclair? 

Makienok was superb that day...excellent first time finish from a Bergdich centre and a towering header from a corner.

I seem to remember he had a spell out injured mid-way through the season and that knocked him back.

• Options
    I still laugh when I think about Christophe LePoint - I remember he came off the bench and just ran about like a loon never getting anywhere near the ball! That was 900K well spent! 

But did help Jordan Cousins score a rare goal in that game.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Haven't bothered with this thread after somebody included Sean Bartlett FFS! And then you get XXXXX apart from when he .......... What a load of tosh!!!!!
    If someone said Bartlett, it must either be a mistake or that person is a clueless toss pot.
    Lots of players can look poor in the premier, when you look bad in League 1, then problems.
    I won't mention two current squad players who are in the 18 most weeks because we might still need them if we get more injuries.( no I don't mean Marshall or Fosu)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]5. Dowie
    4. Dowie
    3. Dowie
    2. Dowie
    1. Dowie
    LOL! 100% bang on!!!!
    Roland 
    Roland
    Roland
    Roland
    Roland
    no.  THIS 100% bang on.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Birdshit (was his proper name Bergdych or similar?). The epitome of a couldn't give a toss just give me the money foreign mercenary

Awful player.

Thuram ( seen better Sunday league goalkeepers)

Leon Clarke (I know he's done well elsewhere subsequently but he was awful for us).

Polish Pete (billed as the new Yann!)

Roger Johnson (for being Roger Johnson)

Nicky Ajose (some might say harsh but he was billed as a marquee signing and never delivered.

Ask me another day and I'll name 5 more. The well of crap at Charlton has a long way to go before it runs dry. I've not even considered Pardew's lot yet!