Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst five signings since we got back to The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Faye and Traore were spectacularly bad given the level they were playing at.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Stig said:
    Rhys Williams
    Christophe Lepoint
    Yohann Thuram-Ulien
    Roger Johnson (2nd spell)
    Peter Parsley (not his fault, Mowgli's)
    Hull City away, and my son talks me into an away day to see the Tigers and another new ground !
    Roger Johnson and Rhys Williams are the CB and the returning Diego Poyet who played in front of them !
    I wouldn't say we were bad but if Hull City hadn't declared after 80 minutes when it was 6 nil it could of reached double figures.

• Options
    Katrien Meire
    Karl Robinson
    Bob Peeters
    Alan Pardew
    Keith Peacock
  • Options
    Keith Peacock? 
  • Options
    How has nobody included the likes of Emanuel Frimpong or Tresor Kandol in this list - both truly awful. 

On a related note, I still have a chuckle to myself when I think of Francois Coquelin went from being on loan with us, to the UCL latter stages in about three and a half weeks!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chizz said:
    Keith Peacock? 
    Whoops, that will teach me to research/post by cell phone. I was trying to look up who ran finances at the club, figuring whoever that is, is completely useless. In a listing of club staff, Keith's name and title is next to that finance person. Did not mean to tease the Club Ambassador.
  • Options
    Martin Cranie and Danny Seabourne should be on this list 
  • Options
    Recently it has to be Kackack.

And Palace wanted £1m for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Borrowdale.
  • Options

This was a very dark day in our recent history. Considering what we paid and what we thought we were getting, these two are hard to beat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/5257776.stm

"We're delighted to have made two quality signings, and they will both improve our first team squad," said Charlton coach Iain Dowie."

• Options
    Off_it said:

This was a very dark day in our recent history. Considering what we paid and what we thought we were getting, these two are hard to beat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/5257776.stm

"We're delighted to have made two quality signings, and they will both improve our first team squad," said Charlton coach Iain Dowie."

I thought we were getting 2 crap players. Turns out they were worse. 
  • Options
    Limiting this list to only 5 is difficult. I’m surprised to see only a couple of you have named anybody from the Dooshitalot era! 

For what its worth, my worst 5 are-

Djimi Traore
    Amdy Faye
    George Tucudean
    Yohann Thuram
    El-Hadji Ba

5 who didn’t live up to expectations:-

Jimmy Hassellwank
    Neil Redfearn
    Dennis Rommedhal
    Danny Murphy
    Izale McLeod

5 who were simply WTF???

Christophe LePoint
    Zakarya Bergdich
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Leon Clarke
    Yaya Sonogo

See, I said it was difficult to only pick 5!
  • Options
    McClown
    Pouso
    Ba
    Novak
    Ajose

im leaving out some of the obvious Roland era numpties like Thuram. We signed the above before things went nuts with the exception of Ajose who I think is an utter chancer. 

• Options
    Limiting this list to only 5 is difficult. I’m surprised to see only a couple of you have named anybody from the Dooshitalot era! 

You do realise that most of the comments the first three pages on this thread are 10 years old, don't you?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Chizz said:
    Keith Peacock? 
    Whoops, that will teach me to research/post by cell phone. I was trying to look up who ran finances at the club, figuring whoever that is, is completely useless. In a listing of club staff, Keith's name and title is next to that finance person. Did not mean to tease the Club Ambassador.
    I thought you ran the finances at the club?
    No, I just run the hot water in the stadium.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not seen the name Tom Hovi anywhere unless I missed it.

Going back a bit, and possibly a bit unfair as he was a decent player really but past it by the time he came to us, Maurice Setters.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Going back a bit, and possibly a bit unfair as he was a decent player really but past it by the time he came to us, Maurice Setters.

«1234»

Comments 

Unless its meant to be post Catford Mount
  • Options
    Picking 5 who were the most disappointing/biggest wastes of money is really hard. Could have included Andy Jones, Andy Gray, Amdy Faye, Simon Walton, Nicky Ajose...

Francis Jeffers
    Marcus Bent
    Djimi Traoré
    Luke Varney
    El Hadji Ba

Other players were worse, but I had lower expectations (e.g. Tom Hovi or the likes of Mooney, Akpo Sodje, Church etc)

To be fair to the Roland era players, many of them were never given a chance to settle. He's a cult hero now, but before this season Naby Sarr would have been in my top 5 as well, considering his fee and wages.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Way many too to mention ,we've had some shockers down the years, could be a top 50!
  • Options
    Douchebag
    Meire the liar
    Dowie
    Yohann Thuram
    Karel Fraeye
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Ruined my 15th birthday if I recall correctly. 3-1 at home to Derby in January 1995, lost 4-3, mainly thanks to him. Then rubbed salt in the wounds by appearing in Champions League and UEFA Cup matches for Valeranga on a regular basis.

I'd still pick him over RoJo, Christophe LePoint and all of the other numpties that Roland's foisted on us though.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    LenGlover said:

«1234»

Comments 

Unless its meant to be post Catford Mount
    I'm not quite old enough for that.....
  • Options
    Cristian Ceballos (Provided absolutely nothing and took the worst corner football has ever seen, vs Derby I believe)
    Simon Makienok (Probably one of the tallest to ever play for Charlton and couldn't win a header for shit)
    Rhys Williams (Rewatched the Hull 6-0 highlights, never seen a defender give so much space)
    El Hadji-Ba (Offered nothing, a regular in League 2 for Lens, haven't a clue how)
    Yohann Thuram (The first of 5 years worth of mistakes under the reign of Duchatelet)

Sidenote, I became a Charlton fan halfway through the 2013-2014 season, aka right when Roland took over. Shocked I haven't smashed my head against a brick wall yet
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Hard to pick just 5 really.

1. Bent M

2. Gray

3. Traore

4. Redfearn

5. Varney L

I've based my selection on end product against expectation for the money paid. There are a number of others but these are the five that came to mind.
    Can’t argue with this.