Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The peanut man...anyone got a photo?

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
I'm almost certain that The Mercury did a feature on the fella (complete with photo) many many years back....anyone remember...or have a picture of him.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2009
    In a thread below ChicagoAddick mentions the name Adam....now that rings a bell...I do believe that might well have been his name.
  • Options
    I would love one.... I really miss him!
  • Options
    Anything in the Mercury/SLP archives ... ?

In fact, we're really going back to the 60's/early 70's - and the Mercury was a Millwall paper back then.

The reports and focus on Charlton for many years came from the old 'Kentish Independent', so probably any photos or mentions would be there.

Anyone know ....... what happened to the old KI archives?
    They'd contain a wealth of historical Charlton matter.
  • Options
    They are in the Greenwich paper library which was near Maze Hill. Went there a few times doing stuff for my OU courses and used some research from the KI. Although spent most of the time reading very old CAFC reports.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]They are in the Greenwich paper library which was near Maze Hill. Went there a few times doing stuff for my OU courses and used some research from the KI. Although spent most of the time reading very old CAFC reports.

So the KI stuff could be accessible still to the public?

The sports pages (written by Harold Deacon and Peter Burrowes, wasn't it?) were full of Charlton, Bexley United and local football - like me scoring for LAC Rovers lol

I've still got cuttings somewhere GH.

;o)
  • Options
    anyone remember the hot chestnut man in the early '60's, during the winter months, who used to be located at the top of Floyd Road, opposite the cafe?
  • Options
    And here's me thinking that Keith Peacock was the peanut man when reading previous threads - KP peanuts.... ...........
  • Options
    Remember him in the later 60's, wearing a white coat with his brazier of hot coals glowing orange through the holes in the sides as darkness descended.

Also remember, the hot chestnut man on Charing Cross Road when I was working in London mid-70's.

Do hot chestnut men still exist ... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Do hot chestnut men still exist ... ?

Yeah, see them sometimes in London at xmas, pretty much always one in Hull town centre, they are pretty nice.
  • Options
    I remember the Percy Daltons peanut man. Used to walk the terraces of The Valley with one of those trays that hang in front of you ala the old cinema icecream seller. I also remember the hot chestnut man in Floyd Road although I never had any as I remember. What about the blokes who used to sell rosettes and shouted " get your colours here". They had loads of teams colours pinned to a board attached to a pole. I used to collect the teams rosette of whoever was playing Charlton and stuck them on my bedroom wall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Remember him in the later 60's, wearing a white coat with his brazier of hot coals glowing orange through the holes in the sides as darkness descended.

Also remember, the hot chestnut man on Charing Cross Road when I was working in London mid-70's.

Do hot chestnut men still exist ... ?
    Yes i saw one in Greenwich the other week.Across the road from the Mitre pub on a Sunday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Do hot chestnut men still exist ... ?

Yeah, see them sometimes in London at xmas, pretty much always one in Hull town centre, they are pretty nice.

Quite often down by Tower Bridge/Tower of London way for the tourists. Prob about £3.00+ a bag.

There used to be one in Charlton Lane too near the Sam Bartram entrance.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Anything in the Mercury/SLP archives ... ?

In fact, we're really going back to the 60's/early 70's - and the Mercury was a Millwall paper back then.

The reports and focus on Charlton for many years came from the old 'Kentish Independent', so probably any photos or mentions would be there.

Anyone know ....... what happened to the old KI archives?
    They'd contain a wealth of historical Charlton matter.

Oggy....The Mercury was ALWAYS pro Charlton...and The SLP pro Millwall....I strongly disagree that it was ever overtly pro Millwall.
    Maurice Wolf...Peter Burrowes and Peter Cordwell were ALL Addicks in varying degrees and saw to that.
    The article re the peanut man (Adam) was definately in The Mercury...we never got The KI in Catford, indeed it was hardly available anywhere in SE London come to that!
  • Options
    Bump....Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi SoundAs,

Well, it's all a long time ago now but living in Welling in the late 60's early 70's, the Kentish Independent was always the local paper to read about Charlton.

My Nan used to live on the the Brook estate at Kidbrook/Eltham, and I when I visited I used to read her Mercury - always a big Millwall report and headline, and a much lesser bit on Charlton. It used to rile me, which is probably why it still sticks in my mind.

Perhaps, there were different editions and different Charlton/Millwall emphasis in different areas .... ?

Anyway, that's how I remember it, not to be confused with the 80's/90's after the KI closed, and the Mercury led the fight to return to The Valley.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What Oggy said.

The Kentish Independent was exclusively Charlton whereas the Mercury covered both Charlton and Millwall. Like Oggy I also felt Millwall always got better coverage than us in the Mercury in the 60s.

The Kentish Independent circulation area was Woolwich, Plumstead, Abbey Wood, Shooters Hill, Welling and Eltham essentially whereas the Mercury covered Lewisham, Catford, Greenwich and Deptford in addition to those areas.

I think the KI closed down at the end of the 70s / very early 80s and after that the Mercury emphasis shifted more to Charlton and the areas formerly covered by the KI.
  • Options
    Likewise Oggy and Len, it was a long time ago but I always remember the KI as the Charlton paper and the Mecury favoured that lot up the road, I remember thinking when the kI folded (see what I did there) now where would I read about The Addicks.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2009
    The original peanut man

39_carter_1.jpg
  • Options
    Nothing there E

Not Found
    The requested URL /_u_1NxQuHzgk/RlbHD2_hIMI/AAAAAAAAAbE/5q-ODOCXfmE/s1600/carter-shirt.jpg was not found on this server.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think those of you who recollect The Mercury being pro Spanners is due to the fact that The KI was so overwhelmingly Charlton that The Mercury might have 'seemed' to be pro Spanners in comparison.
    It was never more pro Spanner than Charlton...believe you me, I read it religiously for decades and had it have been so, I never would have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i moved to nth london best part of 14 years ago now and i had me mum keep me a copy of the Mercury for atleast 7 of those years Charlton paper IMO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I think those of you who recollect The Mercury being pro Spanners is due to the fact that The KI was so overwhelmingly Charlton that The Mercury might have 'seemed' to be pro Spanners in comparison.
    It was never more pro Spanner than Charlton...believe you me, I read it religiously for decades and had it have been so, I never would have.

I always remember the big Millwall reports, pictures and headline, and the Charlton report crammed into a corner of the sports pages that riled me, SoundAs.

Millwall reports were definitely prioritised, as I and others remember.

Perhaps, there were different editions and different Charlton/Millwall emphasis in different areas .... ?

As Len says, once the KI closed and throughout the rest of the 80's and after, there was much greater coverage of Charlton. Perhaps we have to thank reporters like Kevin Nolan and Rick Everitt for that....?
  • Options
    Me and my mates were always up against the little red railings front of east terrace round about the half way line. Peanut shells were excellent harmless missiles, to throw at the linesman.
  • Options
    Was Maurice Wolff a Charlton fan? I am sure he used to cover Millwall games.
  • Options
    Found this not sure who the lad is but nice hair do and there is a figure down the front in white could he be the man.. have spent days searching but founf nowt as of yet.

tofo.jpg
  • Options
    Blimey, Adam ..... that's exactly how I remember The Valley looked like, when I was a kid.

BTW, that little 'erbert isn't me.

;o)
  • Options
    It looks uncanilly like a young oxford
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Found this not sure who the lad is but nice hair do and there is a figure down the front in white could he be the man.. have spent days searching but founf nowt as of yet.

That bloke down the front is (I think) the man in charge of the half time scores board at the front of the terrace. He used to update match a,b,c,d,e,f etc etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Found this not sure who the lad is but nice hair do and there is a figure down the front in white could he be the man.. have spent days searching but founf nowt as of yet.

That bloke down the front is (I think) the man in charge of the half time scores board at the front of the terrace. He used to update match a,b,c,d,e,f etc etc

When people try to tell me that electronic scoreboards are better then the old card hung up one at a time on the letter you had to check in the programme I tell..

Too damn right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

When people try to tell me that electronic scoreboards are better then the old card hung up one at a time on the letter you had to check in the programme I tell..

Too damn right.

Not much sense of anticipation with the electonic versions though is there? Instant gratification isn't always best young man...