Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Singing the National Anthem

If you were picked to play for England would you sing the anthem before the game?

For me, the answer is Yes, very loudly (although badly).

Comments

• edited February 2009
    did anyone else see shaun wright philips last night looking like he did not know the words...

like redwood couldnt.. LINK
  • Yes, every time
  • Should be obligatory...dont sing, then you dont play
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]did anyone else see shaun wright philips last night looking like he did not know the words...

like redwood couldnt.. LINK

that is classic
  • Yes belt it out like the rugby team does
  • Of course with pride.
  • Yes,without a doubt
  • it goes without saying
  • Has a reporter ever brought it up in post match interview.

Would like to know players excuses.
  • Only if it was "Land of Hope and Glory" or "Jerusalem"

Don't agree with the Queenie one!!! Its about the Nation not the sovereign.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2009
    If it were an English national anthem Yes!
    The British one. No thanks.
  • if it were Land of Hope and Glory yes
  • Ashley Cole was belting it out much to my surprise.
  • edited February 2009
    Yes I would sing and..........
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Ashley Cole was belting it out much to my surprise.

He's still a w***er
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]If you were picked to play for England would you sing the anthem before the game?

For me, the answer is Yes, very loudly (although badly).

Can moses count to ten!!! Should be compulsory!
  • yes yes yes yes

it is our national anthem the jocks dont sing it the taffs dont sing it i am unsure what the NI gang sing so it is not a british song it is an english one IMO
  • I am a republican so I woulfd find it hard to sing about preserving the monarch. I am patriotic and would sing Land of Hope and Glory or I`ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts !
  • Even when i am sitting down on the sofa i sing it!
  • God save our gracious Queen,1
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen:
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter her enemies,
    And make them fall.
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign:
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen.
  • why cant we sing all three verses, other anthems go on for ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• knavish tricks !!!!!!! ffs
  • sex pistols version

God save the queen The fascist regime They made you a moron Potential H-bomb

God save the queen She ain't no human being There is no future In England's dreaming

Don't be told what you want Don't be told what you need There's no future, no future, No future for you

God save the queen We mean it man We love our queen God saves

God save the queen 'Cause tourists are money And our figurehead Is not what she seems

Oh God save history God save your mad parade Oh Lord God have mercy All crimes are paid

When there's no future How can there be sin We're the flowers in the dustbin We're the poison in your human machine We're the future, your future

God save the queen We mean it man We love our queen God saves

God save the queen We mean it man And there is no future In England's dreaming

No future, no future, No future for you No future, no future, No future for me

No future, no future, No future for you No future, no future For you
  • Wouldn't it be funny if the Pistols version came on while all the players were lined up.

Only Stuart Pearce would know the words.

Jeruselum I'd sing but don't care if a player sings or not. It's a football match not the X Factor.
  • [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]Has a reporter ever brought it up in post match interview.

Would like to know players excuses.

Perhaps they'd rather get on with the game, or like Phil Neville, they don't sing it because they are republicans. And I fail to see why a reporter or any character from the media should hold an individual to task over this - invariably they are the biggest hypocrites.
  • If I were picked to play for my country it would be either England or Spain - and as the Spanish anthem has no words and the English anthem is never played, I'd have a bit of difficulty with both. Don't like God Save The Queen - I hate the royal family and am not religious! If Land of Hope and Glory was played I would belt that fecker out with all me might...
  • When we play Scotland we should definitely sing this little-known verse of the National Anthem from the time of George II and the Jacobite rebellions.

God grant that Marshal Wade
    may, by Thy mighty aid, victory bring
    May he sedition hush
    and like a torrent rush
    rebellious Scots to crush!
    God Save the King!
  • Agree with bibble, it should be about this wonderful land of ours and its people - instead it is an oath of subservience to a ruling elite. The monarchy really is the biggest con trick going, I just don't know how people go for it unless they are personally benefitting (i.e part of the establishment and receiving direct financial rewards).

Saw that programme about princess Margaret swanning around the globe being waited on hand and foot the other day (all at the taxpayer's expense, naturally). As Frank Zappa once said:

"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over"

Not me.
  • My ex-girlfriends family used to actually stand up in complete silence and listen to the Queens speech on Christmas Day. I thought they were having a laugh at first but they were deadly serious.

I think that is part of the reason I gave her the Spanish.

That and the fact they were all Spanners which explains a lot.