Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Valentines Day 1976. Wolves 3 Charlton 0

edited February 2009 in General Charlton
It's F.A. Cup 5th round day and having seen off Sheffield Wednesday in round 3 and Portsmouth in round 4, the addicks head for the black country to play Wolves.

Saturday 14th Feb 1976. F.A. Cup 5th Round. Molineux Att: 32,301

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 (1) (Richards 27 56 89) Charlton Athletic 0 (0)

Wolves: Parkes, Sunderland, Parkin, Hibbitt, McAlle, Carr, O'Hara, Munro, Bell, Gould, Wagstaffe (Richards 22).

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Hope, Peacock (T Young 61), Flanagan.

Referee: Bob Matthewson (Bolton).

Large following: An estimated 7,000 (yes that's SEVEN THOUSAND Ooh Aah!) Charlton fans travelled to Molineux by two special trains, 16 coaches laid on by Valiant Travel, plus several more from Lewis's and a fleet of private coaches.

Match of the Day covered this match.

Comments

• Options
    I was on one of the trains with a bunch of mates., terrific atmosphere going up, from our end behind a goal, and back on the train again to London.

The score never reflected how well we played for most of the game. I've got this random memory that we won 14 corners that day, lol
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Wolves were a solid mid table first division side back then.

Bit like us under Curbs....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Wolves were a solid mid table first division side back then.

Yeah until February every season when we became fodder for anyone, especially at home.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One of the best away days in my Charlton following career. Seemed to remember a lot of people were late and every time I looked back there was more and more people there. Great atmosphere. Didnt realise/remember Richards was a sub!
  • Options
    Euston was absolutely heaving with Charlton that Saturday morning. West Ham were on their way to Coventry that day and sidestepped a confrontation when they saw the numbers. When we arrived we arrived at Wolverhampton station the roar that went up when we disembarked is something that I'll always remember. The walk to the ground from the station was very interesting as well. Ah, the good old days...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Euston was absolutely heaving with Charlton that Saturday morning. West Ham were on their way to Coventry that day and sidestepped a confrontation when they saw the numbers. When we arrived we arrived at Wolverhampton station the roar that went up when we disembarked is something that I'll always remember. The walk to the ground from the station was very interesting as well. Ah, the good old days...

Just think when 7,000 of us turn up at St Pancras on the last day of the season, and get the train to see us win at Derby and finish 21st - and then the celebrations all the way home again.

It'll be just like that day out to Wolves .....!

;o)
  • Options
    Great day out, pity about super-sub Richards getting a hat-trick
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Wolves were a solid mid table first division side back then.

Yeah until February every season when we became fodder for anyone, especially at home.

as opposed to being a whole seasons fodder in a pony league...
    the king is dead long live the king....
  • Options
    Roses are red....
  • Options
    I was at Birmingham Uni at the time, so going to the match was quite easy.

Those were the days before Molineux was redeveloped. From behind the goal where I was standing, the stand on the right hand side seemed to get progressively smaller towards the far end. It was like the perspective was twice what it should have been, if that makes sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember near the end of the game it all kicked off and i ended up on the floor under a pile of bodies. In the panic to get up i punched a copper on the chin who was trying to help me up. Needless to say that my apologies fell on deaf ears and his fists fell on my head as i was chucked out. Never got nicked though. Happy days.
  • Options
    I was there too. Found it all a terrible anti-climax. Completely forgot how old O'Hara is ;-)
  • Options

It's F.A. Cup 5th round day and having seen off Sheffield Wednesday in round 3 and Portsmouth in round 4, the addicks head for the black country to play Wolves.

Saturday 14th Feb 1976. F.A. Cup 5th Round. Molineux Att: 32,301

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 (1) (Richards 27 56 89) Charlton Athletic 0 (0)

Wolves: Parkes, Sunderland, Parkin, Hibbitt, McAlle, Carr, O'Hara, Munro, Bell, Gould, Wagstaffe (Richards 22).

Charlton: Tutt, Penfold, Warman, Hunt, Giles, Curtis, Powell, Hales, Hope, Peacock (T Young 61), Flanagan.

Referee: Bob Matthewson (Bolton).

Large following: An estimated 7,000 (yes that's SEVEN THOUSAND Ooh Aah!) Charlton fans travelled to Molineux by two special trains, 16 coaches laid on by Valiant Travel, plus several more from Lewis's and a fleet of private coaches.

Match of the Day covered this match.

Operation Molineux. Even back then we royally cocked up the big day out.
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/11418874813

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Went up on one of the trains, still remember quite a bit about the day even though I was only 10...went with my Dad (rip) sister and her future husband Sean Casey...who some of you may know.
  • Options
    Yes I remember that day very well. Agree with Oggy that the atmosphere on the train was brilliant. Remember drinking in some grotty pub before the game and having my first taste of Mitchell and Butler beer - not a happy memory!
  • Options
    That game was my first ever away match and what an occasion it was. I recall the noise from the Charlton fans was incredible. However unlike Oggy Red I seem to remember that we were soundly beaten and didn't have a hope.... But then I was only 13 at the time.
  • Options
    My dad and I drove. I recall thinking that every car on the motorway had a red & white scarf hanging out of the window. Paddy hit the bar at 0-0; would have been a very different game had that gone in
  • Options
    Great day out especially to get involved in the atmosphere with so many Charlton fans away at a game. Seem to remember a guy had a bell confiscated and a crowd of us tried to get it back at the end of the game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be my Valentine...... :wink:
  • Options
    Drove up there with 2 mates. The Wolves fans showed us where to park then we had a pint or 3 of Banks' Mild with them, a very friendly bunch. As I remember it we were well beaten.