Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prince Harry in new race slur

2»

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]become a republic, once we go then the Canadians and Kiwis will surely follow.

Not sure on that Ormy - At least for Canada, I lived in Oz for about a year and encountered 50 times more anti-British sentiment (mostly banter) than I have done here. The Canadians love the Royals (generalisation I know) in part because it separates them from Americans and IMO they don't take themselves as seriously as Aussies do.
  • Why has it taken this buffoon 3 months to mention it? Must have been really outraged.......
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]become a republic, once we go then the Canadians and Kiwis will surely follow.

Not sure on that Ormy - At least for Canada, I lived in Oz for about a year and encountered 50 times more anti-British sentiment (mostly banter) than I have done here. The Canadians love the Royals (generalisation I know) in part because it separates them from Americans and IMO they don't take themselves as seriously as Aussies do.

Yeah, but you are in Vancouver aren't you? Its a lovely spot over there in BC but I doubt that you'd find the same pro-British sentiment over in Toronto and especially in Montreal!!! I bet the Frenchies can't bloody wait to get rid of the royals!

The Republican thing is not driven here by any anti-British feeling at all, people are just beginning to realise that its ridiculous to have a foreign head of state in this day and age.

The last Republic vote here was very, very close and the No vote won 51-49 back in 1998. The No vote was strongly supported by the 50+ demographic but if there were a vote today then the Yes vote would probably win a close vote.
  • edited February 2009
    Ok, maybe Vancouver people are a big too nice and friendly but I suppose this issue is not really on the radar to the same extent it is in Australia due to the fact like I said previously there is a bit of a different dynamic here. Canadians tend to compare themselves to Yanks rather than Brits like I found Aussies do. Therefore it seems Canucks aren't overly bothered about how ridiculous it is to have a foreign head of state that's British, however I'm sure if that head of state (even in a ceremonial sense as the Queen is now) was the American head of state there would be a big campaign against it.

Anyway I agree with you, it is ridiculous but there are much bigger issues here right now that I wish our terrible government would deal with.
  • Incidentally, what's the latest over there about the Frenchies making Quebec into a separate state? Only failed by a slither last time didn't it?
  • Yeah back in 95 they were close. Right now there's a bit of a lull as I think most people in Quebec along with everyone (Vancouver and Victoria apart) east of Manitoba is fed up of this conservative government and concentrating on doing anything to get rid of good old helmet head, Stephen Harper.
  • Yes, dear old Harper, the last of the neo-cons left in power. I loved his suck-up moves to GWB which seemed to go completely unnoticed!!!

Canada has always seemed far too decent a place to breed extremists like Harper, especially with its long record of tolerance towards immigrants.
  • Without speculating too much on this stuff, I think it's safe to say that one of the bigger factors in maintaining HRH as head of state in Canada is mere inertia. Regardless of how silly it is to have any foreign national in such a role, it would be a constitutional nightmare to change it... I do agree that we don't seem to care about it as much as the Australians. Given the relationship that we have with our neighbours to the south (and how similar it seems to the NZ/Oz relationship), I think that it'd be more interesting to hear what the Kiwis have to say about this.

Don't even get me started on Harper!

As much as I enjoy seeing any Canadian issues discussed here, this would probably qualify as a thread high-jacking.
  • Oh, and Ormiston Addick, we certainly noticed the W "suck-up"!
  • [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]Oh, and Ormiston Addick, we certainly noticed the W "suck-up"!

I meant unnoticed by GWB himself, not that he ever noticed a great deal himself!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited February 2009
    Lets all be honest here, how many of us have ever had phone conversations and thought to themselves they are talking to a black person on the phone, because of the way the person speaks, the way that person says certain words etc?

I know I have, does that make me racist because I made an assumption? Omid Djalili, Eddie Murphy & Chris Rock, all put on over the top nasal tones when they try to speak as a white character in a joke, does that make them racist?

Everybody's assumptions and opinions are formed by their own life experiences, where they are born & bred, where they go to school, the people they generally social with, so who can blame Harry for his reaction.
  • So if I phone a call centre and the assistant sounds Asian am I racist to think that ?

Does Trevor MacDonald sound white ? Yes IMO.

Does Tim Westwood sound black ? Yes IMO.

Jeez what a pathetic world we live in, when we're not even allowed to think that someone sounds like the area of the world that they or their parents / grandparents come from.