Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Charlton Athletic Moment

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Being a charlton fan offers little memorable moments. But from down the years, what has been your favourite charlton moment?

Comments

• Options
    Play off final - easily was even better than winning the league!
  • Options
    Play off final no contest.
  • Options
    Ditto.
  • Options
    play off final apart

would have to be sending Palace down

or millwall in the snow
  • Options
    Play off final

Chris Powell goal for his last ever game.

Winning the league.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would say playoff final but i was 8. All I remember was my face painted and of course Ilic's save.

From what i can fully remember, sending palace down definately up there.

Jensen scoring after freidel's goal at home.

Any last minute winners from past few seasons as well
  • Options
    first game back at the valley, without doubt nothing will ever beat that day.
  • Options
    Its yet to come, wont be long though ha ha.
  • Options
    Play off final at St Andrews.
  • Options
    1998 Play-off final, 1999-2000 Championship win, Beating Arsenal, Chelska and Liverpool during the Prem seasons and this seasons only highlight beating Reading 4-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thats sad
  • Options
    Colin Walsh scoring in the first game back but the play off final was my favourite
  • Options
    Quite a few ......
    Ist Game Back , Play OFF of course.

Taking a vast turnout to the Old Den last but one game there.( Finally )

Stuffing Palarse with Allison in the Fedora

2 Promotions at Carlisle

Promotion against Preston

Leeds Play off at Brum Shirtliff

69 on the North Bank Highbury FA CAP and the 69 2-0 replay win at Sellout Treacy 2 Palarse nil
  • Options
    1. Leeds play off win
    2. 2nd Carlisle promotion
    3. My first game (Home v Brentford in 1980 by chance)
  • Options
    Hales and Flanagan squaring up against Maidstone.

As they were giving each other the preverbials my mate shouted out ' go on hit him' and then said ' oh feck he has'.

Charlton full spread on the back 'sport' page of the nationals. Went to school next day very proud.
  • Options
    May I go for performances rather than 'occasions'?. Denis Edwards' hat-trick in the 6-6 with Boro' in 1960 (Cloughie also got 3), the 'Johnnie Summers' game v Huddersfield, Killer's hat-trick v Hull,Flanagan's four v Spurs, Nelson's only ever hat-trick v Peterbro' and anything by SuperClive, especially at Wembley!
  • Options
    aside from playoff final, Danny Mills scoring last minute winner away at Villa giving us at least a chance of survival on final day. was listening to it on radio, first and only time i've shed a tear out of shear joy lol
  • Options
    I was in the away end that day, it was great! Weirdly, when Steve Brown went in goal, Villa switched to resorting to potshots from long range, assuming because he was an outfield player he'd be no use. If they'd treated him with more respect I reckon we'd have lost that game.
  • Options
    had forgotten Brown went in goal, makes that victory even more impressive. shame the performance against Sheff Wed was poor, not that it made any difference with southampton winning. oh for that team now
  • Options
    play off final 98, millwall 0 Charlton 2 in the snow, chelsea away and drew to stay up and put them into the play off. the walk to the valley from woolwich to charlton and then winning and getting very drunk in the Valley pub on 5th Dec 1992, sitting in the goal mouth and holding up the start of the 2nd half at the last game at the Valley in 1985, and sitting on the wall at the very top of the east terrace with my uncle in the late 70's. loads more but they are a few!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Respect to March - Johnny Summers and Dennis Edwards are the two I would most have liked to see...

As I didn't see them, for me it's the play-off final replay at St Andrews in May 1987. Amazingly, we played two legs of the final and the replay all within seven days at the end of an exhausting season.

As there was a general election on, I couldn't be in Birmingham. I was in Anglesey with Kinnock and couldn't even get it on the radio. So my wife played the radio commetary down the phone to me for two hours - the full 90 mins, plus extra time.

It was one of those very early moble phones, the size of a brick. Had to change phones half way through because the battery power didn't last long in those days - and I guiltily confess the phone bill was paid for by the Labour Party. Came to 140 quid !!!

A week or so later, we lost the general election and Thatcher was re-elected for the third time. But Charlton stayed up and on the night that was all that seemed to matter...
  • Options
    First game back at the Valley

Simonsen

Johns vs Chelsea

1970's night games

Play off final

Paul Miller's goal at the Bridge

Any Hales goal
  • Options
    In that case Nigel the result should be declared null and void, a Public Inquiry held into mis-use of party funds and another election held! Just to get back on thread: Paddy Powell's 35 yard screamer against the other Nigels.
  • Options
    play of final closely followed by Lisbie Hattrick against Scoucers
  • Options
    standing in the front row at highbury when we beat them 4-2. stayed for the warm down to applaud the players (maybe we had to cos they weren't letting us out, cant remember).
  • Options
    There have been a few, but for me, nothing could beat the play off final.The best (football) day of my life.
  • Options
    Watching the pile up of players on the Wembley pitch after Sasa saved from Grey.
  • Options
    Definitely not as important a moment as most of the others mentioned here...but last season's win against Southampton will live in the memory for a long time.

Proper last minute, hard fought, down to 10 men victory. Settled for a draw...then Varney's cross and Big Chris's header in front of us fans and great scenes after the final whistle.
  • Options
    Without a doubt Peter Shirtliff at St Andrews 1987, I was in West Germany (as it was at the time) listening on BBC World Service, When Sheridan scored I thought that was it, but no, good old Shirty did 'em!
  • Options
    Play Off final 98 for sure.....

beating Arsenal 4-2 after being REALLY bad first 20 mins was my favorite TV experience...

as with others hats off to March51 for the Jonnie Summers/Huddersfield 7-6 game! That must have been something :)