Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friday's Moral Dilemma

Walking home from the pub, you see a wallet on the pavement near your house. You instinctively pick it up with the intention of contacting the owner.

When you get home you discover there is £300 cash inside, but not a single piece of identification. Do you......

Comments

• Options
    I'd even keep the wallet if it was half decent!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Done it in the summer, walking the and me boy came running over in the park going dad, dad, look at this. £180 notes. Loads of ID in it. Fella lived round the corner.

Told my son I handed it in to the police so he learnt some morals but paid of a couple of bills and left the rest of the bits in his wallet on his fence post.
  • Options
    I remember when we played Brighton down at the Goldstone, think it was the pink elephant game, my mate found a wallet down the side of the train seat. nicked the cash (about £80) and binned the wallet, and fair play, bought us booze all day with it.
  • Options
    I've twice found wallets with cash in them...and on both occasions handed them over intact.

The lack of ID is a temptation, I guess I'd wait for someone to put a notice up or go the police.
  • Options
    Keep it, bin the wallet.

My mum once got into the back of a black cab and found a small velvet pouch with £2000 of diamonds in it. This was about '85 so was a good deal of money then.

Handed it into the OB and then 6 months later they called her to come and collect it cos no one had claimed it.
  • Options
    in the summer I found a guys oyster card with his cash card, and a receipt where he'd just put £50 credit on it, and also a ten pound note.

i rang oyster and tfl to tell them the id of the boy in case they could contact him and tell him that i had his wallet as i'd rather keep it all together.

they said they couldn't help me send it back to him direct, so they told me to send to them and they'd cancel the card, and his bank said to send it in to them as well.

so i sent them both back to the respective companies, and put the tenner in our fund as we were doing the race for life for breast cancer.
    i hope he got the £50 credited back to him on his oyster.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Done it in the summer, walking the and me boy came running over in the park going dad, dad, look at this. £180 notes. Loads of ID in it. Fella lived round the corner.

Told my son I handed it in to the police so he learnt some morals but paid of a couple of bills and left the rest of the bits in his wallet on his fence post.

that is well out of order in my opinion. If you know whose it is then you should return it to them intact. You have no right to the money, as good as stealing I reckon.

On the other hand if you found the money with absolutely no means of knowing whose it is then that is a different matter. Even so I'd still hand it in to the Police and then if not claimed after six months it's yours to rightfully claim, unless the Old Bill have half-inched it in the meantime.
  • Options
    Put a notice in the pub and possibly the police station, that I'd found the wallet and give the owner 1/2 weeks to contact me, describe the wallet, the contents and the denominations.
  • Options
    I left my wallet on top of my car a few years back, in a Dartford Car park, £250 and credit cards etc.

Got handed in to the police minus the £250, so no dilemma, i'm owed still,
    so i'd keep the csah and dump the wallet.
  • Options
    i've had money taken from me, and lost stuff and its never turned up.

there are 2 types of people, the nice ones that take the wallets into police stations to hand in, who are probably those that don't get anything back if they lose something themselves. and then the others, that take someone elses stuff out of their wallet, and probably get their wallet with money in it back to them. whats that saying about nice guys finish last or something, its so true.

there are just selfish people around and you gotta hope if you lose something, you get one of those nice people that are left.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what goes around, comes around...
  • Options
    No dilemma there - you have to pocket the money. However, if there was identification in the wallet I would make every attempt to return the wallet and all its contents to the owner.
  • Options
    i have lost my wallet a couple of times and both times got them back from the police with cards and full cash.you reap what you sow.
  • Options
    keep the cash, dump the wallet, absolutely no question !
  • Options
    i went through a stage of always losing things. i've misplaced my purse a few times and it has always been handed in by cabbies or once when i left it on the train (sober) one guy even got on a bus from mottingham next day and hand delivered it to my dad's house, everything in tact. I dropped 80 quid in a pub near sheffield few years ago in the ladies loos, when i realised i went looking for it and half heartedly asked behind the bar, i was really struggling financially at the time so was upset but the bar maid had found it. I couldnt believe it, little things like that just make you so grateful you want to treat people the same. i gave her a score for her honesty so we were both pleased.

So i would most likely hand it in but ring the cops each week to see if anyone claimed.
  • Options
    if there is money involved, the cops will always tell you its been claimed.....
  • Options
    My sentiments entirely, Now if there was ID in the wallet i'd try and contact them meself.

My faith in honest humans was restored last year when I lost my train season tkt.

Was found in Oxford by a student, as I had a business card in the wallet he called me and put it in the post.

Saved a lot of hastle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I remember when we played Brighton down at the Goldstone, think it was the pink elephant game, my mate found a wallet down the side of the train seat. nicked the cash (about £80) and binned the wallet, and fair play, bought us booze all day with it.

was that the 2-0 win in the early 90s? funnily enough, buckshee lost £70 on the terrace that day but some good person handed it in and he got it back. just as well cos that was his apprentice weekly wage! surging could be a costly experience.
  • Options
    I'm so undecided i reckon i would keep the wallet, and bin the cash.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Walking home from the pub, you see a wallet on the pavement near your house. You instinctively pick it up with the intention of contacting the owner.

When you get home you discover there is £300 cash inside, but not a single piece of identification.

Having thought about it, you hand it in...only a minor would have a wallet or purse without any identification whatsoever in it...and while £300 is a lot of money for a minor to have, it could well be money saved up to buy a present...booo to afka for even thinking about not giving a child back its money...father christmas will have taken note, you mark my words...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A few years back one of my boys came home from his Paper round with a wallet. It had the blokes cards, driving licence etc and £35 cash.
    We looked him up in the phone book and he came and collected it. The boy barely got a thanks for his troubles yet alone a fiver. Tight git. All that agro of cancelling/renewing his cards etc saved.
  • Options
    I'm with Peaky, LTGTR and Dave Storey.

There's any inner glow in it for you.

Definately tempted to not involve the police- a note where it's found saying to get in contact-

Definately gets harder the more money involved as i guess everyone has their price?????
  • Options
    GolfAddick lost his wallet last week on the way back from Sheff Utd. Got a call just after he got in from a guy who found it on the train at Woolwich. Brother went to pick it up from that grotty estate by Woolwich Dockyard. Golfie gave him a couple of bottles of wine as a thankyou and the guy didn't really want to take them but Golfie was just happy to avoid the aggro of cancelling cards etc. Whatever your circumstances you are either a decent individual or not.
  • Options
    What Golfie will find out this week is that all his cards have been cloned! ;o)
  • Options
    anyway never mind handing over wallets. You were obviously out last night and not watching my fave naughty prog at the moment:

what about sleeping with your brother in law while his wife is in hospital giving birth to a premature baby. now that is immoral. quite disturbing really.
  • Options
    wouldn't find me doing that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]if there is money involved, the cops will always tell you its been claimed.....

ouch!
  • Options
    If there is identity return completely intact and as found to the rightful owner.

If no identitying features you may as well keep because the Old Bill will have away with any cash if you don't. If you feel guilty donate the amount of the found cash to a worthwhile Charity. That way some good comes out of it.
  • Options
    To be honest i once found a lot of cash in the gym where i go!At least £800 in fifties i would say!The guy had left his key in the locker and whilst i was getting changed i saw a young lad hovering around this particular locker that was opened by him i would say!I asked him what his problem was as it was obvious it was not his locker and he shot of!Went over to the locker saw the cash in it and locked it.Went to the counter asked the guy behind the jump whose number was it!Ended up being a guy i know who trains in there i know well and this cash was 2 blokes wages and this was just before xmas!Ps he offered me £50 for my troubles but i declined it!The young mug hovering around the locker has never been seen since!And yes all this made me feel good!
  • Options
    Ps and the chap who i handed key back to now is a Charlton fan