Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zabeel Investments.......

Rumoured to be part of a consortium showing interest in buying Leyton Orient......

Comments

• Options
    Read that, surely they cannot be seen as a better asset than the Addicks?
  • Options
    along with david beckhams advisors
  • Options
    This rumour his frankly Fecking hilarious. If they seriously think that Orient are a club to buy over Charlton then perhaps Zavvibeel aren't the Billy big Bollox cash machine we were all led to believe and maybe we had a let off back in october, just a thought.
  • Options
    [SINK]
  • Options
    not to mention the other premiership clubs in direct competition for fans on their doorstep.
  • Options
    From Liverpool to Newcastle to Charlton to Orient.

Quite a fall. Credit crunch must have hit them hard.
  • Options
    Next stop Walton and Hersham
  • Options
    Welling would be a much better bet...
  • Options
    Villacourt Rovers??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    I think this story has legs. Zabeel were looking to be involved with us due to our proximity to the Olympic Site. The O's have been touted as possible tenants of the Olympic Stadium. Marry the two up and voila!!
  • Options
    Good chance they won't be anchor tenants according to a little birdy who I talk to at London 2012
  • Options
    I tnink you are probably bang on Bing, though stadium tenancy aside and based solely on the club I just don't see how they could be considered a better deal than us.
  • Options
    Maidstone united would be a good bet - just need to build them a stadium, pretty sure they'd get to the football league again if you pumped in a couple of million

nb - I still dream of winning 10 million and playin real life Championship Manager!!!!

I would buy my first and only true love CAFC, but I ain't gonna win 50 million!!
  • Options
    It just won't be a football club at the Olympic stadium, the ODA, London 2012, Westfield, the Mayors office don't want a football club on the site, a Premiership Rugby side is what they want, and by accounts things are moving on with getting one of the London clubs based in the home counties back to the city, and based lock, stock at Stratford.
  • Options
    Why wasnt this sunk? One rule for one....

:-)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DISGRACEFUL - :-)
  • Options
    Loads of swivel eyed Leyton fans humiliating themselves on SSN.
  • Options
    If true. it makes a mockery of their official reasons for pulling out with us...
  • Options
    Perhaps Zabeel were being polite about us and were shocked that due diligence threw up a few surprises. Just a thought .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    feckin disgrace,not the zabeel news but the fact this thread hasn't been sunk,bloody double standards.
  • Options
    rothko perhaps the world finance system crashing down around our ears might change the mayors view on the olympic site?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]rothko perhaps the world finance system crashing down around our ears might change the mayors view on the olympic site?

Not really, Westfield are the main backers of the Olympic Village and there telling anyone who cares to listen that the Stadium won't be used for football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Perhaps Zabeel were being polite about us and were shocked that due diligence threw up a few surprises. Just a thought .

I'm sure they said due diligence threw up no concerns... This, combined with the "economic climate" & "debate around foreign ownership"...
    Whatever reasons they gave, I'm sure there was more to it.
    Not sure we'll ever find out the whole truth...
  • Options
    MCFC said Zabeel were warned off by the authorities (FA ?) because of the family connection with MCFC and a family couldn't have an interest in more than 1 club.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Orient have definitely had exporatory talks with Westfield about use of the stadium post-2012. My understanding is that no decisions have been taken one way or another.

The main objections to its use as a football stadium seem to come from not from Westfield per se but from the vested interests in the retail park next door at Stratford City (which I think is also being built by Westfield). Fans will have to pass through the shopping centre from the new station to the stadium and stakeholders such as John Lewis, Waitrose and Marks&Spencer are known to be against this. But I don't think Westfield have ruled anything out or in at this stage, and if Zabeel are sniffing around, I can certainly understand why...
  • Options
    Orient have had a chat with the ODA, and the ODA don't really care, Westfield do which is the problem for Orient.

The choice is going to Wasps, Saracens or Orient, and if you want a full stadium, you'll go for the Rugby clubs
  • Options
    I wouldn't necessarily rule out dual/multiple use. Saracens, after all, are currently sharing Vicarage Rd with Watford FC...Money talks (and often swears, too, as Bob Dylan sung) - and Orient would have a lot more political and economic clout with a rich middle eastern consortium involved.

Ultimately, Westfield will look to get the best return for their shareholders. So who knows how it will pan out in these strange times? Placating the concerns of John Lewis/Waitrose/Marks&Spencer will only be one of the factors Westfield will have to take into account.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]MCFC said Zabeel were warned off by the authorities (FA ?) because of the family connection with MCFC and a family couldn't have an interest in more than 1 club.

I didn't say so at the time as I thought MCFC was a nice enough sort and meant well but that point is not true. Zabeel have nothing to do with Sheikh Mo himself and is a vehicle for his son's own separate investments. Zabeel is not a part of Dubai Holding or Dubai World, two major holding firms, which Mo heads up, though not overtly. So, the likes of Dubai Investments, DIC or Istithmar, to name a few investment firms, could buy another club. But only one as then there'd be the clash of interests which MCFC referred to. This is not speculation.

[cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Orient have had a chat with the ODA, and the ODA don't really care, Westfield do which is the problem for Orient.

The choice is going to Wasps, Saracens or Orient, and if you want a full stadium, you'll go for the Rugby clubs

If major money comes into Leyton Orient and they begin scaling the divisions they'll have far more chance of getting bums on seats than the likes of Wasps or Saracens which have moved home more than once already. I'd rather have a team on its way to the Premier League, or even in it, at my stadium rather than a domestic rugby club as attendances will be significantly better.

If Zabeel are part of this consortium, and Terry Byrne hasn't said they aren't as yet, it makes sense. Flog Brisbane Rd or build a development - perhaps through their own Zabeel Properties arm. Al Hashemi was a bit lukewarm about overseas projects last week when put on the spot - but seven days is a long-time in Dubai's business world. Impulsivesness is not uncommon. Hey, they considered buying us didn't they?!

I know it is against the Charlton Life Forum rules to be too critical of our Board or negative but Zabeel can hardly have been impressed by our books no matter what they said 'officially'. It won't have helped our chances. Add on the uncertainty of the credit crunch and perhaps they got hesitant. I thought they'd buy the Hammers myself but if, and I say, if, they are a part of this consortium, they may feel Orient offer a more gradual route to the top rather than the 120M quid or so West Ham might cost up front.

If only Charlton hadn't lost the plot on and off the pitch over the past two and a half years, we 'might' now be in dream land. Did anyone imagine Zabeel's accountants would learn that our salary/turnover ratios are at 100% when they went through the books? That must have raised the odd eyebrow.

Still, if Orient do come into big money, I'd rather them than Palace or Millwall. BUT - that could well be one promotion place filled next year then if they don't go down this season...

Still, at least the West Stand car park potholes are being sorted...happy days ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sailor Browneye[/cite]I didn't say so at the time as I thought MCFC was a nice enough sort and meant well but that point is not true. Zabeel have nothing to do with Sheikh Mo himself and is a vehicle for his son's own separate investments.

I think the point he was making was that two people of the same family can't be controlling interests in two separate clubs in the same competition. It has nothing to do with them operating separate companies. They are still family and could be seen to influence each other. That is, I believe, the point MCFC was making.
    [cite]Posted By: Sailor Browneye[/cite]I know it is against the Charlton Life Forum rules to be too critical of our Board or negative

With all due respect: That's bullshit. The folks that spend a great deal of time moderating this board do a fine job of keeping balance. Nothing is censored, unless beyond on the pale. If anything, this place is a lightning rod for misery, criticism and baseless speculation!