Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tragic news for John Martyn fans

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Just heard some terrible news : John Martyn died this morning.

Am writing an obit of him for tomorrrow's paper and am listening to the wonderful Solid Air album while I write...

Any other fans out there? I first saw him perform in 1969 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank and have loved his music for 40 years...a very sad, sad day.

Comments

• Like his music but always thought he was an absolut b'stard.

Shame he's dead, made some truly beautiful music just doesn't excuse the way he treated people.
  • Made me dig out Solid Air, something so undefinably pure when a voice doesn't need you to recognise words for it to resonate with you. Like a Paul Mortimer dribble it just seems so right.

I'll have to dig out One World and bang it onto my MP3 player. Just wish the live music scene now wasn't all about bs and long dead/past it's prime post punk.
  • I saw him perform live in Plymouth 3 or 4 years ago.
    He looked ready to pop his clogs right then - but the performance was fine enough even though he had to sit, despite the grumpiness, gallows humour and evidence of drink.

Just dug out my own Solid Air CD

Here's a performance back when he was younger on You tube Linky: John Martyn
  • He only got awarded his MBE (or whatever) at New Year. Poor sod never got to collect presumably (if he was so inclined). Saw him in late 70s - One World was his latest album then - sheer genius.
  • Oh - bad news

:(

I was only watching a documentary about his life the the other day....
  • Thats sad. Maybe a surprise he lasted this long.

I am sure I saw him somewhere (maybe the Rainbow) but it all seems a bit of a drug fuelled haze.
  • Really sad news, I felt he had at last really started enjoying playing live, he looked totally blissed out on stage last year. His albums (My fave Bless the weather) have been a bit of a soundtrack throughout the last 30 years of my life. Can you let us know Nigel if any sort of tribute event happens ?
  • Danny Baker devoted his whole show this PM to playing John Martyn tunes. He was really moved.

Great show as others rang in to say what Martyn's music meant to them and especially the teacher at an East London primary School where they play a different artist's music to the kids every month. This month it's John Martyn. What a great school.

I nearly went when Baker played "may you never" to close the show.

Great artist but troubled man. RIP
  • edited January 2009
    Something we can agree on. Am just listening to Danny Baker's show now on BBC i-Player. A rare piece of broadcasting....

I heard the news this morning in the most extraordinary fashion. I was talking on the phone to Ted Cummings, director of press and communications at Island Records, about the series of concerts Chris Blackwell is curating in May to celebrate Island's 50th birthday.

Ted was telling me that John Martyn was among the artists due to play. Suddenly, he started saying : "No, No. F**k. No.''

I asked him what was wrong and he said :"I've just got an e-mail saying he died earlier this morning.'' That was the first the record company knew of it - and obviously the first I knew of it - and we were talking about him at that very moment...really quite disconcerting.

In answer to Shrew, I'm sure a John Martyn tribute concert will now be incorporated into the Island 50th birthday series. I'll keep you informed.
  • I recall watching John at my Uni in the 70's. He was like a one man Pink Floyd. One of my all time favourite songs is, 'Back Home to Stay' by Bridget St John, written of course by John and with him doing the backing guitar. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Danny Baker devoted his whole show this PM to playing John Martyn tunes. He was really moved.

Just finished listening to the show on iPlayer - Baker was totally out of it when the show started, didn't want to continue. He did a great job, as nigel w said, a rare piece of broadcasting.
  • Saw him at Blackheath in the mid-90's.
    Unforgettable "show".
    Gone to join that mega-band upstairs.
    RIP.
  • Sad news indeed.

Nigel W - any more you can tell us about the series of concerts Chris Blackwell is curating in May to celebrate Island's 50th birthday?
  • edited January 2009
    Never heard of him. But then if Danny Baker liked him that says it all to me.
    Baker has no taste IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Danny Baker devoted his whole show this PM to playing John Martyn tunes. He was really moved.

Just finished listening to the show on iPlayer - Baker was totally out of it when the show started, didn't want to continue. He did a great job, as nigel w said, a rare piece of broadcasting.

I will have to listen to it all as only caught the last half.
  • This coupled with the whisky is helping to dull the pain.

Bad year.

RIP John Martyn.