Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Damned United

2»

Comments

• I watched it for the first time on Dvd yesterday loved every minute of it.
  • The lad playing him nailed the David Frost accent in Frost v Nixon!
  • I'm just reading the book - it's very gripping, but does portray clough as extremely one-dimensional, and I'm sure he preferred the B word to the F or C word. Can understand why the family were a bit upset.
  • i enjoyed the book as well, particularly as there's a small mention about charlton beating, soon to be champions derby, 2-0 at the valley. i was there that day and it was a great match, with goals from ray treacy and matt tees.
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]about charlton beating, soon to be champions derby, 2-0 at the valley.

I was there on the old East Terrace front railings, great game and a decent crowd of I remember rightly.
  • Saw this last night on DVD, brilliantly played by Michael Sheen
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]about charlton beating, soon to be champions derby, 2-0 at the valley.

I was there on the old East Terrace front railings, great game and a decent crowd of I remember rightly.

Yes - it was one of those that was reported as just over 30,000 but there was at least 10,000 more than that in the ground. It seemed to happen a lot at the big games those days, most notably the 4-1 Spurs home game.
  • Film was good, but I was mildly disappointed that they cut out a lot of the formation of the relationship with Taylor (at Hartlepool) and some of the voices in Clough's head that lead him to split from Taylor at the time of the Leeds job. An extra thirty minutes would have made it an epic.

Couldn't take the fat scouser from Snatch seriously in a ginger wig being an angry Billy Bremner, either
  • Finally saw this, and loved it. Had read the book, and knew I'd enjoy the film, but my wife (non-football watcher) loved the film too. I was glad that she was able to get a peek at what Dirty Leeds is all about before she sees it for real on May 1!
  • Had the DVD since Christmas but only watched it yesterday. Superb. Brilliant. My wife enjoyed it too.
  • Sponsored links:

• reading this, I've just realised I also got the DVD for christmas and not watched it yet....will have to get round to it
  • I watched three good films over the weekend, the other two being An Education and Valkyrie. Not one gratuitous sex scene in any of them. Just shows you..........
  • I read this and watched the film. Inbetween the two I saw a documentary involving the Clough family's damnation of the film as inaccurate and upsetting to them. I watched the film therefore sceptically, but I must say I couldn't really see their problem afterwards. Thought it was good and inkeeping with Clough's public image.
  • As far as I am aware the family have refused to watch the film. It was the book which upset them.
    The BBC's Midlands correspondent, Pat Murphy who was close to Cloughie slated the book and the film. However the only thing in the film he could pick on was the scene when Clough phones Revie at 2am in the morning whilst drunk. Just a bit poetic licence I'm sure. Apart from that he banged on about Timothy Spall being too short to play Taylor. Very petty. Spall, as ever, was brilliant.
    I was a big fan of Clough and this film has not soured my memory of him at all. I have not read the book yet though which I understand does not paint a pretty picture of Clough.
  • "I was a big fan of Clough and this film has not soured my memory of him at all" - ditto.

My recollection of the book was that it was very similar to the film and I didn't think he did him any injustice. I'd be interested in your thoughts once you've read it.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Had the DVD since Christmas but only watched it yesterday. Superb. Brilliant. My wife enjoyed it too.[/quote]

Snap - saw it on Sunday for the first time. Better than any American crap you see in the cinemas.
  • Keeping with the new films subject, just watched Shutter Island. Anyone who liked 'Fight Club' or can handle a psycological thriller should defo see it.
  • Just found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxsRt2yG8Es
  • A very good book, which obviously covers a lot of the story is "Provided you don't kiss me: 20 years with Brian Clough" by Duncan Hamilton. Well worth a read.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]reading this, I've just realised I also got the DVD for christmas and not watched it yet....will have to get round to it

Still haven't got round to watching my 'Steam Engines of Paraguay' DVD which one of my son's kindly bought me for Christmas (and I don't even like trains). He has since been cut out of my will.

How about a new thread about DVD's we haven't watched yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Finally got round to watching this last night.Good little film.Never knew Cloughie came so close to managing Brighton.How different things could have been for them if he had.
  • edited September 2010
    Carly? Brian Clough did manage Brighton, he was there for about a year and did very little. That's part of the reason why Taylor refused to got Leeds, as he and Clough took a contract with Brighton and Taylor thought it not right to break it. Cloughy didn't and snapped up the job. Taylor failed to get promotion and for whatever reason decided to join Clough at Forest.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Carly? Brian Clough did manage Brighton, he was there for about a year and did very little. That's part of the reason why Taylor refused to got Leeds, as he and Clough took a contract with Brighton and Taylor thought it not right to break it. Cloughy didn't and snapped up the job. Taylor failed to get promotion and for whatever reason decided to join Clough at Forest.

Never knew that.Makes sense that he wasn't a success though.A hatred of southerners can't of helped.
    Sirtlifting ones probably turned him to drink!
  • Just come to this. The deleted scenes that Airman refers to were taken out in a wish to make the film more marketable as a Saturday night film for him and her. The book is much darker (though still a walk in the park compared to most of David Peace's stuff) whilst the film is pretty much a buddy-buddy movie with two disparate individuals together against the world.
  • Excellent movie. But they made Bremner, Hunter , Giles and co look very sinister, when really they were great players in a fine team. Is it worth reading the book after seeing the film?
  • [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Excellent movie. But they made Bremner, Hunter , Giles and co look very sinister, when really they were great players in a fine team. Is it worth reading the book after seeing the film?

Yes. The book is much better than the film.
  • The book is mostly a work of fiction.

Giles sued the author and won. Of the ones who had an issue with what was written Giles was the only one living and able to do so.
    Clough never called Giles "Irishman"

I read the book quite a while back I thought it was ok, certainly read worse.
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Of the ones who had an issue with what was written Giles was the only one living
    Did some of the dead ones have an issue?
  • edited September 2010
    The Clough and Bremner families did.