Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valkyrie - Cruise not into WWII History obviously.

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
Tom Cruise interviewed on radio earlier about Valkyrie.

Saying (paraphrasing) " I got the script and it's a fantastic thriller, from the first page to the last. Great characters and story i knew i had to be in the film............................And then i found out it's based on a true story!"

Nearly crashed the car with my Bemusement.

Comments

• Options
    I was shocked he didn't know it was true when me 20 or so years his Jr Knew it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Tom Cruise interviewed on radio earlier about Valkyrie.

Saying (paraphrasing) " I got the script and it's a fantastic thriller, from the first page to the last. Great characters and story i knew i had to be in the film............................And then i found out it's based on a true story!"

Hollywood actor in small grey matter shocker...lol

Apparently, he wanted to do The Titanic with Kate Winslet, until they told him it sank in the end.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Tom Cruise interviewed on radio earlier about Valkyrie.

Wonder if he wanted to drop the shouty dude with the little moustach because his character was a "Bit unsympathetic..."? :-D
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2009
    Defending him here.

Why would he necessarily know that somebody tried to kill Hitler during WW2 - I know I didnt until I saw the trailers.

There are plenty of stories that get based around factual events (like Titantic, Pearl Harbour etc) but never necessarily happened at the time.

I don't think he was saying that he didnt realise WW2 was a "true story" or that Hitler was a "real" person!!
  • Options
    hey they only came in halfway through (and took all the credit) so its not a surprise.
  • Options
    This is a man that believes humans are inhabited by immortal alien spirit and wories about Xenu an evil space alien. Should we be surprised the WWII came as a shock to the mental shortarse?
  • Options
    lol, I thought he meant the assasination that is taught in history classes tbf though i suppose he is american so he possibly only knows really about the propaganda saying the americans wont the war themselves ;o)
  • Options
    That's an American disease, of all their WW2 claims, the one that p!sses me off most is the notion that they captured the Enigma machine. That and the fact that they think without the USA the war would not have been won by the Allies. For the record most historians agree that without the Russians we would not have won.

Anyway DR is the film good?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]That's an American disease, of all their WW2 claims, the one that p!sses me off most is the notion that they captured the Enigma machine. That and the fact that they think without the USA the war would not have been won by the Allies. For the record most historians agree that without the Russians we would not have won.

End of U-571 is funny. Entire film telling the audience about how important it is that the Americans capture the Enigma machine and then at the very end of the film have a few lines of print stating that the British had captured a machine a couple of months earlier (Can't remember if they went on to say that we then cracked the code but i doubt it).

No idea about Valkyrie.......I'm making a protests against America and it's Disney History culture and refusing to watch it :-)
  • Options
    Defending him here.

Why would he necessarily know that somebody tried to kill Hitler during WW2 - I know I didnt until I saw the trailers.

Fair enough, but the assassination plot by von Stauffenberg is quite well known. Though knowing Hollywood's habit of re-writing history I'm surprised that they didn't change the ending so Claus von S/Tom Cruise succeeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    (Can't remember if they went on to say that we then cracked the code but i doubt it).

The people responsible for cracking the code were Polish, although they were based in the UK.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]That's an American disease, of all their WW2 claims, the one that p!sses me off most is the notion that they captured the Enigma machine. That and the fact that they think without the USA the war would not have been won by the Allies. For the record most historians agree that without the Russians we would not have won.

End of U-571 is funny. Entire film telling the audience about how important it is that the Americans capture the Enigma machine and then at the very end of the film have a few lines of print stating that the British had captured a machine a couple of months earlier (Can't remember if they went on to say that we then cracked the code but i doubt it).

No idea about Valkyrie.......I'm making a protests against America and it's Disney History culture and refusing to watch it :-)

A lot of the Enigma stories skirt over the fact that the poles had already started to crack it and we built on their work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite](Can't remember if they went on to say that we then cracked the code but i doubt it).

The people responsible for cracking the code were Polish, although they were based in the UK.

Fair point.....Our designed and built computers though ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite](Can't remember if they went on to say that we then cracked the code but i doubt it).

LOL - Don't think it was just the Poles but they certainly made a bigger contribution than is often recognised.
  • Options
    lol classic absolute classic.

Typical Yank
  • Options

Fair point.....Our designed and built computers though ;-)

Apart from when the Film is made and it was Bill Gates and Microsoft ofcourse ;-)
  • Options
    Does one of the plotters turn out to be American and he only fails because the French and English provide dud fuses?
  • Options
    Do we play Bletchley Park next season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

A lot of the Enigma stories skirt over the fact that the poles had already started to crack it and we built on their work.

This is absolutely correct. The Poles had cracked the original Enigma machine, or were very close to cracking it. I think there is a grain of truth about the U Boats story in so far as the Marine Enigma Machines were complicated than the original ones with extra reels inside them. From memory it was pretty much impossibe to decypher their codes without the code books which were written on special paper so that the codes were destroyed in contact with water. It was thus imperitive, not only the machine but also the codes. I believe that the Americans may have done this although much work was done by us.

As for Valkyrie, well I'm looking forward to see the Hollywood treatment. I hope that is is reasonable close to the known facts, so as at least as someone has already said, it doesn't end with Hitler dead and the war ending 1n 1944 with the Americans shaking hands with Von Staffenberg in Berlin by the Reichstag!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Do we play Bletchley Park next season?[/quote]

V.good !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Not a big fan of the pearly toothed, shortarse and he does come across as the only bloke who knew what he was doing in the whole thing but from what little I've read about Von Staffenberg he was extraordinarily charismatic as well so maybe not as misscast as being said. Don't really know how much of the subplot about the plan to use the reservist army was true but I still enjoyed it even though you know what the outcome's going to be. Really good cast of Brits and Kenneth Branner's is the best performance out of them all.
  • Options
    Les, I know a bit about the story, was the ending brutal or did they pull their punches. My reason for asking is that my Lad (10) want's me to take him.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The original machine had 5 wheels, the Nazi changed the code using 6 wheels. This machine and was found on a damaged and captured uboat by a very brave naval officer(British) who went onto the uboat after he had been told charges were about to explode. Without the 6th wheel we wouldnt have been able to break the code.
  • Options
    Binga cant be as bad as what actually happened as they were hung with wire in real life !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Binga cant be as bad as what actually happened as they were hung with wire in real life !

Piano wire to be precise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Binga cant be as bad as what actually happened as they were hung with wire in real life !

Piano wire to be precise.

Yeah you do see some of them being lined up to be hung like that but it's more suggestive than gory (I don't think you see them actually being hung for instance). Firing squad scene is probably nothing he's not seen before either and again shot from a distance as it were. Wouldn't say it's likely to give him any nightmares Bing.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]Wouldn't say it's likely to give him any nightmares Bing.

What about me?...:o)

GH, I do believe the Americans did get involved somewhere along the line, probably just to take the glory...:o). My best mates Mum worked at Bletchley Park during the war. To this day, and shes in her late eighties, she will not talk about the work they did.

As for the real story of Von Staffenberg, yes I knew that some were strung up, others were shot. Does Rommels involvement come into the story at all?
  • Options
    I went to see it today, and took my lad. I really liked it. I thought it one of the better war films I've seen in a long time.

Tom Cruise was excellent as Stauffenberg and there were decent performances by a plethora of British actors including Kenneth Brannagh, and Bill Nighy.

It was a little like Titanic with eye patches in that we all know that the plot failed, but the way the kept the suspense going was good, plus the feeling that they were succeeding was well handled. I'm not absolutely familiar with all the characters in the story and don't have a forensically detailed knowledge of the plot but it did not seem to play fast and loose historically.

All in all well worth seeing.