Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Company Relocating to Poole

Just literallly found out.

As Alan Brazil would say "Ive never beeeeeen"

Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Been on about 3 caravan holidays to Rockley Park when I was a kid.

I liked it then!
  • Options
    I work there!!

Any idea where? What co?
  • Options
    Houses are cheap!!!! ;o)
  • Options
    My wife has been to Poole.

In Dorset?

Yes, she'd recommend it to anyone...
  • Options
    No, they are moving the company from Belvedere down to there, so in the main will be based at home but can see me doing a few 2/3 day jobs.

recommend any hotels??
  • Options
    There are pot loads of hotels down here fella, just do a search on Google.

I'll have a word if my mates missus who is manageress or something @ Thistle, maybe she can get a good discount if need be.
  • Options
    Do you service Barclays? They're the main employers down there I think - I know a couple of people in IT who worked for them out of Poole. Lovely town, by all accounts - only been there once myself, to install a company's network and did it in the dead of night so didn't see anything of the town.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Do you service Barclays?

Who me?
  • Options
    Been to Dean Court in our 3rd Division days in the 70's.

Lost to Bournemouth 2-0, of course - just in case people are getting excited with the prospect of 3rd Division football again.
  • Options
    I love Poole especially in the summer and stay at the Thistle when I am there.
    Must treat myself this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Just literallly found out.

As Alan Brazil would say "Ive never beeeeeen"

Anyone?

I'm back working in Poole again for the time being after my brief adventure in France was royally stuffed by the economic climate.

I live in Bournemouth but Poole's a great place. Not so much the town ctr which is much like every other High St in the UK (although it does have a lovely old Town bit and the Quay's a good place for a beer after work). Unless you're the boss of RBS I'd forget Sandbanks/Canford Cliffs as places to buy if it comes to moving down but there are still some nicer parts that would be affordable to a houseowning Londoner (and some dodgier bits too so be careful). Beachs all around here are fantastic and loads going on most nights through the summer. Couldn't think of too many better places to bring up kids either.

Do you know where you're going to be based? Is the company already trading down here as I probably know it?
  • Options
    The firm we are moving in with are called Bell Plastics. They're highly profitable apparently which is a bonus in these shytey times.

I wouldn't want to be a boss of RBS btw!!

I'm hopefully going to be home based and visit the office one day a week if need be.

Could be my ideal job to be honest *touches wood* but the way the economy is you never know whats around the corner.

I'll probably be posting for a job in April. . . :o(
  • Options
    My old man is from Parkstone, Poole. Great place. I have lots of great memories down there with my gran and grandad. The Quay, the Sandbanks nearby, as is Bournemouth, Branksome Chimes. The New Forest in one direction, Corfe Castle in another. Lots of things to do if you have some spare time down there and, as has been said, a great place for kids and families.
  • Options
    Mate

Dorset is the only place in this country where i would move tomorrow at the drop of a hat, poole itself is fine a real nice place. In the summer Dorset is one of the most beautiful places on gods earth IMO it has everything that you require from some of the best costal driving roads with views that you dont imagine you can find in our great land, to clear water and white sandy beaches i kid you not. then you have the countyside that is magnificent, in a line i really would love to live there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The firm we are moving in with are called Bell Plastics.

St Georges Ave right? About 2 mins from where I'm sitting right now (...also nowhere near the Town Ctr I'm afraid but not too far in a car).

Don't know them myself as tend to deal with more retail and service based companies.

Good luck with it all BTW
  • Options
    was living in Westbourne until last year....
    7 miles of golden sand is glorious in summer pal....

and getting the chain ferry over from sandbanks lands you on surely one of the best beaches in the UK

hmmmm... plus there is outdoor Shakespeare on Brownsea island in summer if you like a bit of cultured experience....

I could go on and on.....
  • Options
    Echo the Dorset sentiments.

Cracking part of the country.
  • Options
    Dorset is a great place, Bournemouth and Poole get a bit crowded in summer, but most resorts are quite small and friendly. If you like your surfing the council are going to build an artificial reef just off the coast.

Unfortunately I don't think even with relegation we'll be playing Bournemouth next year, or perhaps ever, they are likely to drop out the league having been fined loads of points in the close season, but Dean Court is a tidy stadium.
  • Options
    Les said:St Georges Ave right? About 2 mins from where I'm sitting right now (...also nowhere near the Town Ctr I'm afraid but not too far in a car).

Don't know them myself as tend to deal with more retail and service based companies.

Thats them. Am down there tomorrow sizing up the building and trying to make a square peg go into a, erm, very small round hole. . . .

I am hopefully going to be based at home so could have it sussed

Am just praying it all falls in right and I can have the summer down by the beach and poncing around Sandbanks, erm, I mean working my hands to the bone. . . . .

*crosses fingers*
  • Options
    Could be my ideal job to be honest *touches wood* but the way the economy is you never know whats around the corner.

Are you that excited about it falconwood?

:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now I can't pretend to know Poole/Bournemouth too well, (although I very nearly bought a house at Brockenhurst in the New Forest not so far away) but I know plenty of people from that area, and they all seem to gravitate back there to raise their families. It seems a good place to base yourself and bring up kids - but there's lots going on there too.

Likewise when my job re-located from London to Plymouth, I was living in Bromley Common at the time. We spent a few months living in Plymouth which was sort of okay, but when we crossed the international frontier of the River Tamar into Cornwall, we found a different world - a beautifully scenic peninsular with wild beaches, a country park, and a home in a village with a really strong community and virtually free of serious crime.

I probably come back to Kent about 10 times a year, for football and family but I really appreciate where I live now.

Falconwood, go for it - and you never know, you might just be tempted to try a new of life eventually.
    It can be well worth it.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In one way yes, as it gives me the *freedom* to try build up something. . . . but the parent company is a PLC and they are utterly hopeless at managing and would drop me a drop of a hat as long as their backsides are ok.

Oggy I wish it was relocaton as I'd go there like a shot, as it would be great to bring my kids up there but I'll be home/out on the road based (which is ace for me).

It'll be better than working in Lower Belvedere. . . . what an utter carzy this area is.

(Incidentally, I stayed at a place in Dorset called Lymington over Xmas, great place that is.)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Les Addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The firm we are moving in with are called Bell Plastics.

St Georges Ave right? About 2 mins from where I'm sitting right now (...also nowhere near the Town Ctr I'm afraid but not too far in a car).

Good luck with it all BTW

Where abouts do you work then Les? That's only a couple of miles from where I work n all!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm on an industrial estate near Fleetsbridge roundabout. You do know that I used to be Bournemouth Addick on the "other" site don't you?
  • Options
    so.... did I meet one of you guys in the Westbourne pub during our prem relegation runb in to see us get beaten (or maybe draw) courtesy of a late goal from the oppo????

ring any bells???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]so.... did I meet one of you guys in the Westbourne pub during our prem relegation runb in to see us get beaten (or maybe draw) courtesy of a late goal from the oppo????

ring any bells???

Nope not me fella but it's suprising how many shirts you do see around and about down here, especially in the summer.
  • Options
    I know it was posted yesterday but I have to point to Falconwood that Lymington is in Hampshire.
    I think when you visit somewhere it always seems better than when you actually live there. Having said that it is a lovely part of the world and if you prefer country life you can live in the town and your just a short distance from fantastic scenery. Although the same could be said about Kent.
    I think generally people don't appreciate whats close to home.