Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reasons for your user name?

Comments

• Options
    "In J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium, Maglor is a fictional character, the second son of Fëanor and Nerdanel. He was the greatest poet and bard of the Noldor"

From Wikipedia

I wanted a Tolkein related name for an e-mail address and had to find something pretty obscure - being using it eversince.
  • Options
    Mine is from a ew years ago, went to watch the game away at Elland road, in 04, I think. It was the 0-0 draw on a Sunday. As it was a Sunday, me and a few mates (well known to a few lifers) went up on the Saturday and had a night out.

Couldn't beleive how well we were treated, didnt have to queue for nightclubs, were getting beers bought for us, even had girl's throwing themselves at us!

Wasn't till after the game, we went for a curry with my sister (who was at uni up there), I got up to go to the toilet, when I came back the manager of the restaurant had bought over a load of Leed's stuff that he wanted me to sign!

As he was injured at the time and wasn't playing, turns out they all thought I was Eirik Bakke, copped a lot of stick from everyone at the next home game though!
  • Options
    My old haunt the Royal Tavern hence Tavern

Mind you pop up their now and again still
  • Options
    Not the Royal "Vauxhall" Tavern ?

;-0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Not the Royal "Vauxhall" Tavern ?

;-0
    lol
  • Options
    Character from a few William S Burroughs books. Most notably Naked Lunch.

Also adopted as a name by one of may favorite bands. Any of the weirdy beardy brigade should check them out.
  • Options
    T.C.E. The correct intials of the famous and alas more infrequently named stand at The Valley. TCE= The Cupboard End ;)
  • Options
    half swiss half english living in Nyon (Geneva). was going to get Charlton Dan as thats my nickname at the rugby rugby club I play for but it was already taken
  • Options
    So Why Alan's Coach Driver....

Well back in 1995 Steve Gritt had just left Charlton as joint manager leaving Alan Curbishley solely in charge. Charlton placed several adverts in the press for the position of First Team Coach.

On the 13th July I received a message from an old work colleague, Terry Hughes to check the fax machine. I did and then sat down in shock as to what I had just read.

Dear Sir,

I wish to apply for the job recently advertised in the press for 'an experienced first team coach driver'.

I am widely experienced in the area of coach driving, having held my PSV licence for over twelve years. My licence is clean, though I did receive an endorsement for taking a Croydon Council double-decker bus under a low bridge at Purley. Luckily no-one was hurt. You probably saw me on the news. August 1992.

Driving is my second love, after supporting Charlton, and I can claim to know the country's motorways like the 'back of my head'. I have driven extensively across the country for company's such as Group 4 and BR (obviously the BR job did not involve much road driving, well none actually). Other driving jobs have included Despatch rider (mountain bike), taxi driver and forklift truck operator (I have excellent reversing skills).

I can also guarantee my services will be available at atny time of day or night, suffering from acute insomnia as I do, and have for the past ten years, ever since the Falklands Crisis (which I was not a part of incidentally). In fact, I have slept only eight times since 1982. The last time being on the approach to a low bridge at Purley.

I'm sure you will agree I have excellent pedigree for the post and I look forward to hearing from you in the not too distant future.

Yours (with crossed fingers)

Mr Timothy (nice but dimothy ) Martin

Two weeks later I received a standard reply from the club but signed by Alan Curbishley.

Dear Mr Martin,

Thank you for applying for the vacant First Team Coach's position at Charlton Athletic Football Club.

Firstly, I must apologise for the delay in replying to your application. This is due to the fact that when I was appointed Manager on 15 June, I immediately went on holiday for three weeks and I did not return to England until 9 July to start pre-season training on the 10th.

I am sorry to inform you that you have not made the short list for this position. However, I hope this does not deter you from applying for a coaching or a managing post with other clubs, and I hope it is not too long before an opportunity presents itself.

Once again, thank you for your interest in our Club, and I wish you all the best for the future.

Yours sincerely,

Alan Curbishley
    Team Manager
  • Options
    Erm not sure, I had it on a top once and it's just stuck really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite Simply the post code
  • Options
    stone - Stone Roses, best album ever
    muse - Muse at Glastonbury 2004, one of the best gigs ever
  • Options
    Because the guy was just f*****g ace.

9 seconds - away from home - the home team taking the kick-off.

Has this ever happened anywhere else in the world? Can any other player / club make this claim?
  • Options
    My names stu and I live in Cottingham, Hull!

Only for another 3 weeks though !
  • Options
    Does exactly what it says on the tin:

Any fotball trip away - Charlton or England. Out of our group im the stupid one who organises it all (has to pay the lump sums for flight/trains/hotels etc, and then spends ages trying to get all the f****g money back)
  • Options
    Easy this one:

My name is Paul and I sit in the West Stand :-)
  • Options
    Easy. Anyone who watched us in the early eighties will remember Leroy. He was a decent enough player, but the reason I liked him was because he had the coolest afro in history. I remember him bouncing up and down the wing like it was yesterday...
  • Options
    I found myself working in Eltham McDonalds for a bit after my (not terribly good) A levels.

There was already a "Jon without an h", and my one star badge had to have something stencilled on it.

Now I only get called Jon if I'm in trouble.
  • Options
    My username is derived from the Soccer AM character from a few years ago Ali McMoist. They featured a picture of Ali McCoist showing where he'd pissed himself and used the catch phrase 'It's a wee stain'
  • Options
    Cos i'm an uncle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was the song playing when I was trying to think of a name.................
  • Options
    I'm Danish and live there now.
  • Options
    My first game at The Valley was his debut v Middlesbrough. Plus we are very similar players......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Easy. Anyone who watched us in the early eighties will remember Leroy. He was a decent enough player, but the reason I liked him was because he had the coolest afro in history. I remember him bouncing up and down the wing like it was yesterday...

He still does ....... for the Vets team, minus the afro, lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]My first game at The Valley was his debut v Middlesbrough. Plus we are very similar players......

We still lost, lol
  • Options
    Thom Oliver Thom O Thommo

er done
  • Options
    When I first started going in 1980 we had just signed Terry Naylor and Don Mcallister from Spurs!

I remember Terry Naylor controlling the right back with ease until he had his leg broken in friendley with West ham I believe?

He wasent at Charlton long but he remained one of of favorites!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]I'm Danish and live there now.

Kobenhavn, ma ske ...... ?
    Min gammle kaereste bo i Frederiksberg, Kobenhavn.

(....jeg kan igge husker min Dansk, undskyld!)

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]I'm Danish and live there now.

Kobenhavn, ma ske ...... ?
    Min gammle kaereste bo i Frederiksberg, Kobenhavn.

(....jeg kan igge husker min Dansk, undskyld!)

;o)

Oggy det var ellers imponerende! Boede du i København?
  • Options
    Half past 2.