Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zavvi

edited January 2009 in Not Sports Related
They announced a load of store closures this morning - apparently it was with immediate effect!
The Piccadilly Circus store has already shut down.

Comments

• Options
    Yep heard that. They only just bought it from Virgin Megastores in 2007 so that went well then!!!
  • Options
    They're already in administration and closed a chunk of stores down already. A real shame as the actual business was profitable they just had a massive debt called in when Woolworths distribution arm went under and didn't have teh cashflow to cover it.
  • Options
    All to do with Woolworths going Pete Tong (Their Entertainment UK division supplied ZAVVI with all their material!)and some very bad decisions by people that should have known better!
  • Options
    crap branding wouldnt have helped though...
  • Options
    Terrible shop.

Everything is overpriced. Even with their discounts I could find it cheaper elsewhere.
  • Options
    Just been to the one in Croydon, and picked up bargins for the kids
  • Options
    Wollies called in the debt with Zavi and they could not pay up, so went tits up. got my ps3 from there last year so just hope nowt goes wrong with it.
  • Options
    I'm in "their industry" - they made decent money and were profitable in 2007 but got greedy and moved their buying and distribution into EUK as they got bigger discounts from suppliers like me by doing so - unfortunately EUK was a crock of shit and bad buying decision after bad buying decision, they got screwed.

Caused by greed and wanting bigger margins and moving to a distributor who didn't understand their market positioning.
  • Options
    Wasnt it a management buy out from the old Virgin music stores?
  • Options
    It was indeed a managment buy out.

The change of Distributors happened when they were still Virgin and continued when it was Zavvi due to the fact that EUK offered them massively favourable credit terms 90 days rather than the 30 days standard... although when 90 days or £106million is called in you're going to struggle as a new business.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So it had nothing to do with the re-branding from Virgin to a stupid name?
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh no - Chavvi's gone under! Where oh where will I buy my £16 CDs and full priced games from now! Hang on - maybe I'll try this new-fangled thing called 'Teh Internetz' - apparently (and I'm not sure if this is true or not, someone more knowledgeable might be able to help me) you can buy CDs, Games and DVDs about 30% cheaper online than you can in a shop where you have to queue up listening to bollocks that sounds like someone chucking a shopping trolley down a flight of stairs with rudeboys talking loudly over the top, to be served by someone with a stupid haircut and a superior attitude despite being paid 5 quid an hour and knowing precisely f*** all about music, games or films.

My heart bleeds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Just been to the one in Croydon, and picked up bargins for the kids

oh , might pop into bromley and see if they have any cheap blu rays
  • Options
    The sooner they close down the better. They refused to honour vouchers after re-opening after Christmas. If I had been given any I would have helped myself and walked out. Cheeky bastards!
  • Options
    Zavvi? How much are Man City bidding for him then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Just been to the one in Croydon, and picked up bargins for the kids

oh , might pop into bromley and see if they have any cheap blu rays

don't know about blu rays but had few bargains after chrimbo
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I was in the Picadilly store on Monday having a browse in my lunch hour & there were some blu-rays reduced - didn't take much notice though as I don't have a player!