Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The top five songs of.....Van Morrison

Because music is more reliable than football. An old album never let's you down or chews your guts up. Doesn't matter if the new CD is rubbish or they get old or fat there is always the old stuff or another new band to pick up on.

5. Coney Island

4. Real Real Gone

3. Bright Side of the Road

2. Who was that Masked Man

1. Tupelo Honey

Comments

• Options
    1) Astral Weeks
    2) Brown Eyed Girl
    3) And it Stoned Me
    4) Days Like This
    5) Moondance
  • Options
    Should have said the first one was meant to be Into the Mystic as opposed to Astral Weeks which is of course an album (his best one though).
  • Options
    Into the mystic is a great track.

prefer Veedon Fleece to Astral Weeks
  • Options
    Don't have that one I'm afraid
  • Options
    Am at this very I'm moment listening to a review copy of the forthcoming Astral Weeks Live album, which will be out on Feb 23.

Last November he played the album in concert in its entirety at the Hollywood Bowl - the first time he'd ever performed the whole record live in 40 years. This is the live recording of that event and fabulous stuff it is ,too - same mood and spirit as the studio recording but subtlely different. Obviously the voice has changed over 40 years - got richer and more sinewy, I think. But he toys with the words, teasing them , repeating them in that mantra-like , incantational way, and the arrangements have a few subtle variations.

Top five songs apart from the Astral Weeks suite :

Listen To The Lion
    Almost Independence Day
    Days Like This ( with News Shopper on that :best song of his in the last 15 years)
    Into The Mystic
    Wild Night

But there are so many. I'd probably pick a different five if you asked tomorrow...
  • Options
    And her name is G-L-O-R-I
    G-L-O-R-I-A (GLORIA)
    G-L-O-R-I-A (GLORIA)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Am at this very I'm moment listening to a review copy of the forthcoming Astral Weeks Live album, which will be out on Feb 23.

Will have to pop down to HMV to get that one.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Don't tell the wife, but me and a sweet Irish rover from many years back always exchange knowing glances whenever 'Wavelength' hits the air.

Henry - explain yourself .......... The Band, Van Morrison. You'll be telling me next that albums by Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen and .......... wait for it ........ The Incredible String Band occupy large swathes of your record cabinet.
  • Options
    By the way.... dig out 'Russian Roulette' by Van Morrison (from the album 'Days Like This').

I first heard the opening line as "Hey, Carl Leaburn.......".

OK, Van claims to be singing "Take it or leave it .....", but listen to the track and see whose side you take.
  • Options
    Fact. Van Morrison is the most miserable performer in the world bar none.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cypress Avenue

Into the Mystic

and it stoned me

Haunts of ancient peace

Spanish Steps
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Fact. Van Morrison is the most miserable performer in the world bar none.[/quote]

Morrissey?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Fact. Van Morrison is the most miserable performer in the world bar none.

Morrissey?

Leonard Cohen?
  • Options
    I just dont get it why musicians are supposed to put on a happy beaming persona all the time. Some of the best and most powerful musical performances I have seen are by artists who really mean what they are singing about and arn't always jumping about the stage smiling. I have much respect for Van who continues performing for his sheer love of music, not through any need for money. If you go and see Van Morrison live you get him, in whatever mood he is in at the time,
    its real and often it is a brilliant gig.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Agreed, Shrew. Genius don't need to smile. Must have seen him in concert 50 times over the years - no exaggeration - and he's made me smile every single time, even when you could tell that he himself was in a foul mood.

Was thinking about the lyrics of Days Like This. Would make a very good anthem when we finally win a game...

''When it's not always raining
    there'll be days like this
    When there's no one complaining
    there'll be days like this
    When everything falls into place
    like the flick of a switch
    Well my momma told me
    there'll be days like this...''
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]

Henry - explain yourself .......... The Band, Van Morrison. You'll be telling me next that albums by Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen and .......... wait for it ........ The Incredible String Band occupy large swathes of your record cabinet.

Got some early Tom Waits. Not a big Bruce fan but like some of his stuff.

Incredible String Band. No, none of that. Dylan (John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Blood on the Tracks) yes. Joni and Neil, yes even a little Jackson Browne plus lots of punk, reggae and soul.

And lots and lots of Lou and the Velvets of course.

And I flogged all my Vinyl. All on the ipod and PC these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite] If you go and see Van Morrison live you get him, in whatever mood he is in at the time,
    its real and often it is a brilliant gig.

If he can be bothered to turn up.
  • Options
    In no particular order:

into the mystic
    and it stoned me
    wonderful remark
    professional jealousy
    dweller on the threshold
  • Options
    I prefered him in The Doors. Relight My Fire was a classic........
  • Options
    Only really like 'in the days before rock n roll' on the Enlightment album, just a great listen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't believe that none of you guys have pmentioned Madame George yet!!! (The one from from Astral Weeks)
    Anyway i like the drawn out anthems...
    Madam George
    Listen to the Lion
    Almost Independence day
    Gloria (Them)
    Brown Eyed girl

Apparently Brown eyed girl was originally called brown skinned girl but the title was changed to make it PA.
  • Options
    I'm with you Wolf Boy! My five said APART from the sublime and peerless Astral Weeks suite (because I wouldn't single out Madam George from Cypress Anvenue, Balerina or any of the other tracks - never has an album felt more like one more continuous and indivisible piece of music ,IMO).

And totally with you on

Listen to the Lion and Almost Independence Day,

both of which I featured on my list. Largely because they are the two later tracks that came closest to capturing the alchemy of Astral Weeks...
  • Options
    How can there be only five?...the Man sweats music.

Madam George
    Into the Mystic
    Cleaning Windows
    Irish Heartbeat
    Brown Eyed Girl

stupid....just all of 'em (nearly) right?
  • Options
    Bright Side of the Road
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Into The Mystic (as a bit of trivia this was the first dance from American Pie 3)
    Days Like This
    Russian Roulette
  • Options
    Brown Eyed Girl (if I'm in a particularly good mood) and errr... that's it.
  • Options
    Brown Eyed Girl
  • Options
    1) In the garden
    2) Rave On, John Donne
    3) Hymns to the silence)
    4) the way young lovers do
    5) Take me back