Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Danny Uchechi

edited January 2009 in Rumours
Remember him?

Our long-forgotten prolific U-18 hitman who made it into the Nigerian U-23 team last year? The bloke who seemed to disappear off the face of the earth at the start of this season??

Well, African media sources are saying he is supposedly set to sign a contract with Wigan Athletic....

...which is nice....

Comments

• Is he the one which couldn't get a work permit?

If so then I don't think Wigan will be able to get one.
  • Wigan will sign him and farm him out on loan to a 'friendly' EU club, same as we should have done.
  • very annoying if this turns out to be true the lad has real promise another yoof to leave and hant us i fear
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Wigan will sign him and farm him out on loan to a 'friendly' EU club, same as we should have done.

Good potential player, shame about the dodgy passports and agents. Allegedly.
  • I meant that it was probably out of our hands, Henry.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Wigan will sign him and farm him out on loan to a 'friendly' EU club, same as we should have done.

Good potential player, shame about the dodgy passports and agents. Allegedly.

Would these not allegedly affect Wigan?
  • edited January 2009
    Quite possibly.

They haven't signed him yet, just rumours in the press that he is "supposedly set to sign".
  • charlton32447news1.jpg

Here he is for those who never saw him at the reserve matches.
  • he's good on fifa develops quickly and partners varney and dickson well
  • I don't know the specifics of young Danny's difficulties but there is a major problem with Nigerian passports and UK visas. Basically the UK High Commission makes it as hard as possible for any Nigerian to enter Britain. You have to present yourself in person either in Lagos or Abuja (have a look at the atlas to see the size of the country), and you will probably have to turn up every day for at least a week before your application gets processed. They claim to get 600 applications per day and an average of just 50 per cent are successful. The 50 per cent that are rejected are thrown out due to alleged 'irregularities' in the Nigerian passport and I assume Danny U is part of that 50 per cent.

I know all this from working with various Nigerian musicians who have toured here and have had hellish problems getting their visas sorted and have had perfectly legitimate papers and passports rejected by our High Commission.

The Nigerian High Commission in London now plays tit-for-tat. The last time I flew to Lagos, I had to pay an agency to turn up and wait at the visa section in Northumberland Ave from 10am-noon every day for EIGHT WORKING DAYS before the Nigerian authorities finally returned the passport I had submitted and issued my visa, which resullted in me having to change my flight three times.

A similar stand-off now exists between the Nigerian and US authorities. There was a story last year about Bill Gates having his visa application turned down because the Nigerian authorties claimed they weren't satisfied that he wasn't planning to stay on illegally! In fact, they were just trying to make a high-profile point to the US State dept about how hard it was for Nigerian citizens to get US visas...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2009
    Here's a link for anyone that hasn't seen it.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Good potential player, shame about the dodgy passports and agents. Allegedly.

Is that related to him briefly changing his name to Chima Orelaja?

So why didn't we loan him out? From what I've read it seems like he doesn't want to play for us? Any reason for that?

When I saw him I wasn't that impressed, but that was only one game.
  • So why didn't we loan him out? From what I've read it seems like he doesn't want to play for us? Any reason for that?

The reason I suspect is that he can get more money elsewhere.
  • edited January 2009
    most of his goals in our ressies we Penalties anyway. He will fail at Wigan and end up at a League 1 club, like..........us ;-)
  • http://www.thetidenews.com/article.aspx?qrDate=01/16/2009&qrTitle=Nigeria%E2%80%99s%20Under-23%20player%20set%20to%20joinWigan&qrColumn=SPORTS
  • edited January 2009
    Is Sailor Peter Burrowes in disguise? :-)

Will we get a development fee?
  • Peter Burrowes ..... there's a blast from the past.

"Weasel", us away supporters used to call him back in the 70's and 80's, and it seemed he never missed a match home or away.

For the younger peeps on here, he was the sports reporter for the old Kentish Independent local paper, which was the dedicated Charlton organ at the time when the Mercury was a Millwall paper.
  • Peter Burrowes was also the voice of Charlton. he could be heard down the end of a crackly telephone line reporting for LBC from some obsure ground that we were playing at in the 70's and 80's. Ah, the memories.
  • I used to work in my old mans shops on the odd Saturday and have clear memory of him going totally nuts reporting on LBC on the 5-3 Barnsley game at The Valley in 1984, when we were 3 nil down (Ron Futcher hattrick) and came back and won.

Simpler times *cries*
  • he once (scoop that is) gave us tickets for the yeovil friendly in 92 I think and they were in the bar area boxes which overlooked the pitch . Nice bloke
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Is Sailor Peter Burrowes in disguise? :-)

Cheers Len - high praise indeed....perhaps.....!!

Wouldn't our Peter be in his seventies/eighties now? Remember he left us for Gillingham - something in the back of the mind suggests he wasn't that keen on leaving us...could be wrong though, years ago now...

I think Voice of the Valley used to tease him a little bit if my memory serves me right? Forgive me Airman Brown if I've got that wrong and you read this. I don't think it was nasty, more 'Private Eye' style of lampooning.

I wonder if Rick knows what became of Peter after his Gillingham days - not sure he was there all that long...

Those were the days eh? Burrowes on LBC, a brace from Killer and a 3-1 home win...
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought it was Welling he went to report on?
  • I see Peter Burrowes all the time in the summer - he never misses a day of Kent cricket if he can help it. Not quite as old as SB suggests and and am very happy to report that he looks very fit, hale and hearty...he's an ever-present when we're playing at Canterbury, Tunbridge Wells and Beckenham and in evidence at some away games,too, like Sussex at Hove and Middx at Lords...
  • As well as his jounalistic work, PB used to regularly referee in a few of the local Sunday leagues
  • I had no idea Peter Burrowes was once a referee
  • Scoop is at every home game.

Charlton legend - end errrrrrrrrrrr of.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]I don't know the specifics of young Danny's difficulties but there is a major problem with Nigerian passports and UK visas. Basically the UK High Commission makes it as hard as possible for any Nigerian to enter Britain. You have to present yourself in person either in Lagos or Abuja (have a look at the atlas to see the size of the country), and you will probably have to turn up every day for at least a week before your application gets processed. They claim to get 600 applications per day and an average of just 50 per cent are successful. The 50 per cent that are rejected are thrown out due to alleged 'irregularities' in the Nigerian passport and I assume Danny U is part of that 50 per cent.

All I can say to that is "good". Nigeria is corrupt to its very core.
  • Has he gone yet?
  • Who .... Peter Burrowes ?
  • what happened in the end ??
  • From what I heard Danny will have problems remaining in the UK, be it Wigan or Charlton.