Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

6 January Paper Rumours - Scowcroft / Fletcher from Palace, Ambrose to Wolves

edited January 2009 in Rumours
Daily Mail

IN
James Scowcroft (Striker) Crystal Palace
Carl Fletcher (Midfield) Crystal Palace

The Sun

OUT

Darren Ambrose Wolverhampton Wanderers

Thoughts!!!

Comments

• Another centre forward who can't score!? And from Palace!?

Fletcher is ok - nothing better than we have though ....?!
  • PLEASE NO!

We dont need a central midfielder, Josh Wright should be given a go, and we already have Semedo, Matty H, Bailey, Shelvey, Wright.

Scowcroft, why? we have burton and gray as target men.
  • [cite]Posted By: jaire[/cite] The Sun

OUT

Thoughts!!!

Mick Macarthy's not that stupid, unfortunately.
  • it says that we are likely to pay 400k for those 2 from palace. Someone said on charlton live that we were skint and had accepted relegation. I would say if we are about to spend 400k thats not the case. SATURDAY IS A MUST WIN,
  • Take no notice of Pat (Charlton Live) He's full of doom and gloom every week!
  • If Scowcroft came in then you can bet your bottom dollar that Andy Gray is off back ooooppp north.
  • Wolves want Surman though. And Surman is better than Ambrose.

Don't think Fletcher would improve our midfield. Scowcroft can't be any worse than our current lot of strikers.
  • Stowcroft fits the mould for a Parky type Centre Forward eg Iwelumo to play alongside the small, nippy striker ala Curaton.

Fletcher may be keener to play under Parky that his predecessor. Allegedly.

Can't say either is setting my heart racing with anticipation but it is only a rumour.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jaire[/cite]The Sun

OUT

Thoughts!!!

Mick Macarthy's not that stupid, unfortunately.

Still not a fan of Darren then Peanuts : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Take no notice of Charlton Live. It's full of doom and gloom every week!

Harsh, very harsh : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't Wolves just signed Alan Gow who's a winger from Rangers who did well on loan at Blackpool. If so i doubt they'd want Ambrose as they've already got Jarvis and Kightly.
  • Can't see anything in the Wolves thing, though by Ambrose name being linked about in the rumours, probably by his agent, you can take it from that he is leaving this window if an offer comes in.

As for the links with the other two, well i can't see them having any truth. I would be shocked if there was. Another forward who plays with his back to the goal ? Do me a favour.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Take no notice of Pat (Charlton Live) He's full of doom and gloom every week!

is there anything else but doom and gloom in a charlton fans life at the moment ;-(
  • that really will add another low to the numerous lows of late if we sign two palace cast offs
  • edited January 2009
    Hmmmmm a midfielder and a striker, with still no hint of a new central defender on the horizon.

Looks like Parky learnt a lot from Pards.
  • Pat from Eltham! Legend! I was on there on Sunday and tried to question him as to what he thought parky should say at his press conf's; he thought he was being too positive after another failure to win. I take his point but it isnt great if a manager comes out and says I dont know whats the matter with them. I remember curbs doing that.
  • don't want either of these two has beens. We have enough midfielders who are better than Fletcher esp with Racon returning and the reimmergence of Shelvey. As for Scowcroft, he's just a poor man's Andy Gray. Scowcroft and Burton upfront - two non-scorers made for each other.
  • we used to be linked with Palace's up and coming youngsters, but now their has been reserves. Oh how the Orange one must be quietly chuckling.
  • What an utterly uninspiring duo to be linked with. Talk about scraping the barrel.
  • we were looking at Darren Powell and that Harte fella ex Leeds ----------that should tell everyone the standard of the players we can afford and attract.

Burton was on his way to Cheltenham (not the races) before we gave him more money to come to us -------------thats our rivals re the transfer tug of war
  • Sponsored links:

• Curbs was always an admire of scowcroft remeber being linked with him years ago, bit past hit now but is a strong hold up front man, fletcher is not a bad player as a holding midfielder but all depends on racon's injury and how long hollands legs will last, could be a decent signing alowing bailey to press forward a tad.
  • Wolves have been linked with 5 midfielders in the past couple of days so don't read into that at all.
  • If they stay fit they could be useful acquisitions imo. A good few Palace fans seem to think so too. I think Scowcroft could do the holding of the ball that Gray has failed to do so far and Fletcher has the sort of experience that you need when you're in the mire.
  • Scowcroft won't be able to hold up the ball if we continue to hit the ball into the channels for the 'big striker' whose skill is ball into feet to chase.
  • Churley1 said:

Morning all,

There's rumours you're after some more agents from Palace, anyone know how true they are? Personally I'd be surprised as your last few Palace connections haven't quite turned fitted the bill shall we say.

Scowie's the wrong side of 30, pretty slow and rarely scores poachers goals. He does work his socks off though and wins his fair share in the air. We tried playing him in our 4-3-2-1 formation and he was awful. In a 4-4-2 though he can be quite effective. Scored 9 goals last season although 3 were in our first game!

Fletchers one I've never really understood. He's never really looked comfortable at playing the holding role but seems to pull out decent performances for Wales. When Derry came in last season he made a massive difference and it really did spell the end for Fletch. I'd be slightly dissapointed to see him go but he's on a decent wage.

Overall, if true, they would be ok signings for you. It's rumoured to be £400k for the pair which isn't bad although Fletchers contract is up in July.
  • Don't see how either would improve our team. Scowcroft would be similar to Iwelumo, except without the goals, which would be pretty poor. Don't need someone like him constantly giving away free kicks (he gave away the most in the league last season, Iwelumo was second) and not scoring.

Maybe it would work with a quick goalscorer next to him, but where are we going to get one of those?

Fletcher surely no better than Holland, Semedo, Wright, Racon, Shelvey or Bailey? Then we still have Sinclair, Basey has played as a DM, and few more young CMs in Yussuff and Jensen.
  • We need champ class I'd say Scowcroft ain't classy enough for no doubt very big wages.

As for Carl Fletcher I'm happy enough with him. Probably on a five thousand a week but not 10 grand plus. He's solid in this div, a nasty blighter with his mouth and get's stuck in. Of course I'd rather a Mark Kinsella/Steve Brown type who is physically strong and drives on but our team is the most pansy Charlton team I can ever remember. So a bit of nastiness would do the world of good. As for all the other midfielders all the others can't tackle except Bailey; Semedo picks up scraps rarely successfully wins a 50-50, and he's the best of the rest even regarding he can't pass.

Still can't see it Jordan knows we're bankrupt, he'll try and screw us for all he can. Fair play to him for that he's just running his business to a budget.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]

Fair play to him for that he's just running his business to a budget.

Classic. Absolute Classic.
  • Oh no I just remembered Fletcher's a Parky and Pardew fave. On account of that I hope we never sign him.