Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great evening matches...

As we are at home tonight, what are the great night matches in our history?

Three spring to mind for different reasons, first beating Stockport 4-0 in November '99, with Stockport virtually adopting a flat back ten as a result of Charlton pressure. Although they struggled in at half-time nil-nil ait was a matter of time before the goals happened, from memory an Andy Hunt penalty and then Eddie Youds scored and just when it seemed all over, two goals in the last minute from Andy Hunt to complete his hat-trick followed by Hunt missing a total sitter...I remember getting back to the Station and talking to one or two people who'd left early and missed the goals. I only went at virtually the lost moment, a trip overseas was cancelled the day before and I got a seat in the West Stand and found myself sat next to a blind Charlton supporter. He was wired up to the commentary we had a good chat, despite being almost totally blind (he couldn't see as far as the pitch) he told me went to matches rather than sat at home listening on the radio purely because of the atmosphere.

Beating Ispwich in the play-off semis, I remember Newton picking the ball up, running at and through their midfield, shooting and scoring from around the "D" on the penalty box, with the Charlton fans going up partly in celebration and partly in relief that at 2-0 on aggregate the tie was won.

Then Liverpool this February, 2-0 of course, my birthday and I followed the game on German Eurosport's teletext service on my TV, frantically refreshing the page every 20 seconds and fully expecting them to have pulled a goal back every time, but they didn't. There is always a time lag on these things and it was around nervous ten minutes after the game actually finished that the result was officially confirmed.

I always liked night games at the Valley, in the days before the new modern Valley and before the wraparound stadium the lights and the night sky seemed to trap the atmosphere in, something that would often be missing at weekend matches.

Comments

• Options
    The West Ham game was good 4-4
  • Options
    All of the above but going back in time Charlton 6 Southampton 2 1976. We were awesome and I was convinced we would get promoted but then we sold Killer!
  • Options
    All the above, plus a couple of obscure ones.

beating Palace in the Anglo Italian. There was only something like 3,500 in the ground yet the Covered End i don't think was ever louder.

We beat Arsenal in a pre-season friendly on a Friday night. It wasn't like a friendly game, and we played some cracking stuff. The next week Arsenal won the charity shield.

The Bristol City replay in the FA Cup. I sat in the Jimmy Seed, about 3 seats across from City, and must of had a 1,000 worzels telling me what they were going to do to me after the game !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]All the above, plus a couple of obscure ones.

beating Palace in the Anglo Italian. There was only something like 3,500 in the ground yet the Covered End i don't think was ever louder.

One of my favourite games at the Valley, the atmosphere was red hot, the punch up infront of the old dressing rooms, Armstrong getting the card that Garlands punch deserved.

Top night
  • Options
    remember Paul Williams scoring and running away giving the Covered End the old coffee beans hand signal. Cheers Wilo.

I never forget !
  • Options
    4-3 against Brighton...1979 I think...
  • Options
    Aston Villa I think??? They scored on 90 minutes and Jensen replied about a minute later.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]Aston Villa I think??? They scored on 90 minutes and Jensen replied about a minute later.

That was Blackburn I think.... Friedel scored for them, and we went straight up the other end and Jensen looped one straight over Friedel....
  • Options
    and it was a saturday! Keep up tom ;-)
  • Options
    That was definately Blackburn.

For me West ham game mentioned by tavern and (although the purests will probably not call a (winter) Sunday 4.05 kick of and evening match) the 2-2 against Newcastle will stay with me for a long time
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beating the spuds when JT scored a cracker

Stuffing West Brom 5-0

Chelsea 3-0 at Selhurst if Selhurst counts.

Losing 3-0 to Southend :(
  • Options
    If we can allow away games gotta be Millsmall in the snow!
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I got a seat in the West Stand and found myself sat next to a blind Charlton supporter. He was wired up to the commentary we had a good chat, despite being almost totally blind (he couldn't see as far as the pitch) he told me went to matches rather than sat at home listening on the radio purely because of the atmosphere.

BFR - Was he late 40s / early 50s quite tall with grey hair?

Reason I ask is that a blind supporter used to sit in front of me in E Block of the Covered End and used to give exactly the same reasons (more or less word for word). He was also used to sometimes be accompanied by his son who gave a running commentary.

Great bloke, used to join in with songs and also give it "Who Are Ya" whilst pointing toward the NW corner spot when the oppo were taking corners.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Great bloke, used to join in with songs and also give it "Who Are Ya" whilst pointing toward the NW corner spot when the oppo were taking corners.....

lol, good on him too

So you were EEEEEEEEblock army then eh Dan??

Me, f block init!
  • Options
    ""WE ARE THE EEEEEE BLOCK, WE ARE THE E BLOCK, WE ARE THE E BLOCK COVERED END"
  • Options
    always used to make me larf that dan, we are theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee block we are theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee block lol

I used to love it in that little stand, it was cosy
  • Options
    charlton v blackburn
    5th December 2006
    Charlton 6 - Blackburn 0

Crowd: 17,293

thousands stay away and miss one of our greatest wins...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]charlton v blackburn
    5th December 2006
    Charlton 6 - Blackburn 0

Crowd: 17,293

thousands stay away and miss one of our greatest wins...

crikey.............looks like I'll be playing catch up tonight............you on the sauce already???
  • Options
    not yet no sadly, i have just had a stomach lining lunch tho... not that it ever works.
  • Options
    The Villa home game 3-3. 2001 was it ? We played some great football
  • Options
    I was at that Brighton game in the late 70s!Was it a Friday night?We use to play a few Friday night games back in them days.Great match and a good crowd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BFR - Was he late 40s / early 50s quite tall with grey hair?

He was around that age, but sat in the West Stand, away towards the Jimmy Seed stand, he did tell me though that there were other visually impaired fans who were regular attendees, I think the radio commentary was something organised by the club rather than via Capital/Radio London.

What was handy was the penalty decision was in front of the Covered End and wasn't obvious so his commentary handily filled in a couple of gaps.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spurs 2-0 I brought my mum and dad over from France, great night....

I took a bunch of Aussies to there first eve football match against Villa in the week 3-0 Jeffers two, and I quote 'that was the best 25 quid Ive ever spent' they couldnt believe it... having been to an Aussie rules game I understand why.....

and of course the last time we had to get out of trouble (ish) was Derby 3-0 when Shirtliff got one, Jones and Willo I think, great I had to my maths homework before we left.....
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Charlton v Blackburn Dec 5 2006: On anniversary day, the battling spirit of old Charlton on display and a last gasp free kick winner from El Karkouri characterise the evening match that led to a surge up the table to Prem safety.
  • Options
    Chelsea 3-0 at selhurst though, no need to mention the screamer from the mercurial one!
  • Options
    i think we'll remember that goal tonight for a few years yet !
  • Options
    amen to that big man
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Charlton v Blackburn Dec 5 2006: On anniversary day, the battling spirit of old Charlton on display and a last gasp free kick winner from El Karkouri characterise the evening match that led to a surge up the table to Prem safety.

I'm with you LoOkOut- just wish i hadn't left with what i thought was about 20 seconds on the extra time left- heard the crowd go at about 60 yards from Charlton lane- thought Blackburn had scored ( maybe a mindset fron Saturday??)

Just what we needed- we played really well- (Reid- magnificently) the crowd were excellent- Lets take it forward to the spudz on staurday.

(Just seen the goal- it's right in front of where i should have been! My fault for leaving early!)

A good day for us and a lovely anniversary!!
  • Options
    That's why you should NEVER leave early Stan! ;o)

Wonder how many in the East stand missed it?
  • Options
    Plymouth Argyle At Home,Getting Drunk In The Covered End With Argyle Supporters On Scrumpy & Watching An Amazing Firework Display, Can't Remember The Result! Great Fun.