Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beasley Beers

edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
Any of you old timers remember Beasley Beers?

Just found a old picture of Woolwich and the sign above the Elephant & Castle and it says it was a local brewery

Comments

• edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Any of you old timers remember Beasley Beers?

Just found a old picture of Woolwich and the sign above the Elephant & Castle and it says it was a local brewery

It was a local brewery but got swallowed up by Courage back in the fifties I think.

The Red Lion on Shooters Hill was a Beasley pub.

ps I'm not old enough to have drunk Beasleys myself!
  • Come on, Len. No need to be coy.

We know you're a Beasley's man.

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Come on, Len. No need to be coy.

We know you're a Beasley's man.

;o)

:-) we can't differ too much in age Oggy!

Beasleys Brewery was in Plumstead (Brewery Road, Lakedale Road area).
  • Hence the irony of my teasing, Len lol

Seriously, it was well before my days as well.
    In fact, its only 44 years since I first went down The Valley, so I'm pretty sure I'm a lot younger than you, Len.
    Locked on. FACT!

;o)
  • It was actually as late as 1963 (the year I first attended The Valley Oggy) that Courage took over Beasleys.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Scottish-amp;-Newcastle-plc-Company-History.html

scroll down to Courage section.
  • Anyone remember what there beers were called?

Spoke to my father in law he could not remember the names but said it was a decent pint
  • Jeez, I've just lost my post about Beasleys with all my research ..... because I clicked 'Back to Discussion' when I meant to click 'Add Comments' - and there's no way to retrieve it. Aaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

Anyway, forget the rest for now - I found the names of 2 Beasley's beers in my research that I can still remember:

London Stout
    'O.B.J' - a strong bottled ale.

Anyway, going back to work now in a strop....(!)
  • Woolwich brewers Hop Stuff are producing a new Mild based on an old Beasley's recipe.
    My Dad who grew up in the Lakedale Road area says that their beer was pretty awful. When he joined the Navy in the early 50's if ever he mentioned he came from Plumstead he said the first thing people would say was that was where that rubbish Beasley beer came from.
  • Surprised Hop Stuff are reviving it then. They must know what they're doing though. All their other beers range from pretty good to fantastic.
  • Riviera said:

Woolwich brewers Hop Stuff are producing a new Mild based on an old Beasley's recipe.
    My Dad who grew up in the Lakedale Road area says that their beer was pretty awful. When he joined the Navy in the early 50's if ever he mentioned he came from Plumstead he said the first thing people would say was that was where that rubbish Beasley beer came from.

Wonder if local beers were a bit like local football teams, crap if it wasn't your team. My dad used to rubbish Shepherd Neame and drank Charringtons or bilge water like Watneys Red Barrel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking back, my Dad's generation seemed to be very indifferent to beer quality, choice, variety. Can't ever remember anyone lamenting the disappearance of Beasley's or many of the other local brands/names. My Dad would seemingly drink any brand on offer, and ordered purely by type ("light ale", etc.)
  • edited February 2015
    Up Lakedale Road from Plumstead High St and just past Conway Road, was a Beasley's pub called the Brewery Tap and the Brewery was on the land behind it.
  • edited February 2015

Riviera said:

Woolwich brewers Hop Stuff are producing a new Mild based on an old Beasley's recipe.

Wonder if local beers were a bit like local football teams, crap if it wasn't your team. My dad used to rubbish Shepherd Neame and drank Charringtons or bilge water like Watneys Red Barrel.
    One of the funniest arguments I ever witnessed was between one of the posters on here and his Dad, they were talking about beer and the old fella said "Watneys was a good pint in my day" and it kicked off bigtime from there.

• Watneys Red Barrel. There's a scary thought.
  • The brewery was up Lakedale road. I was just old enough to drink the beer. It was known as Beasley's beastly bitter. But it was still better than Watneys Red Barrel.
  • Watneys Red Barrel, aka 'Sex in a Rowing Boat'. Because it was f.....g near water.
  • 60s and 70s really was a low point wasn't it? Did anyone ever sup from a Party 7 and think "damp good pint, that " ?
  • The George IV in Rectory Place, Woolwich, was my Dad's local and a Beasley's pub. It was run by an old girl who we called "Gran" and her daughter Ida. Gran was 90 odd and was still pulling pints and rolling barrels around the place right up to the time the place was demolished. A new George IV was built on the opposite corner but Gran and Ida retired at that point.
  • Beasley's used to have a large advert in our old programmes. Will try and look one out.....
  • Beasley's used to have a large advert in our old programmes. Will try and look one out.....

Be interesting to find out if their is any family tie to Sarah?
  • Sponsored links:

• Never thought of that!
  • More likely Jimmy!
  • Not old enough to drink the products but I remember the brewery in Lakedale Road/Brewery Road, along with the dray horses. There was also a pub called the Brewery Tap on the corner of Lakedale Road and Conway Road. The brewery got knocked down in the 60s to make way for the flats and houses around Orissa Road.
  • Vincenzo said:

Surprised Hop Stuff are reviving it then. They must know what they're doing though. All their other beers range from pretty good to fantastic.

I had their "Fuselier" yesterday, it was very nice.
  • Was it in Beasley Street?

http://youtu.be/_FsA3zDZNWk

John Cooper Clarke, a legend in his own overdose.
  • Extra porous last night.
  • Looking back, my Dad's generation seemed to be very indifferent to beer quality, choice, variety. Can't ever remember anyone lamenting the disappearance of Beasley's or many of the other local brands/names. My Dad would seemingly drink any brand on offer, and ordered purely by type ("light ale", etc.)

My Dad drank brown and mild. Towards the end of the 70s this was becoming difficult because of the demise of mild. Like your dad, he was reasonably indifferent to the brewer. My Nan drank bottled Guinness. Even though this was all brewed at Park Royal, she claimed to be able to tell the difference between the different bottlers, Charringtons, Watneys, et cetera. However, I wonder if this was all in her mind. Although the bottles would say Charringtons, Watneys, and so on, did Guinness also bottle it and just put different names on the labels?