Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Computer help

edited December 2008 in Not Sports Related
I have windows vista. I have managed to 'lose/mess up/overide' the very simple pass word I had to my account for which I am the administrator for this home pc. When I try to reset/change password it asks for a reset disc?? Any way bottom line is I cannot get into my account the other accounts for my wife and daughter do not have passwords and are accessible. Any thoughts on how to remedy appreciated eg do I do restore from a previous date and what woul be the consequences etc.
Tvm for any help in advance
Lats

Comments

• Sorry - that one's beyond me.
    Leroy's probably your man for this - though you could try searching the help forums too...
  • Latimer

What you need is a Linux distribution aimed specifically at (ahem) 'recovering' (ahem) 'lost' passwords. If you download ophcrack from here, burn it as an .iso image using something like this then place it in the optical drive, reboot the computer and let it boot up using that CD you will be able to recover the passwords following the directions here. If your PC 'ignores' the Ophcrack CD and boots straight into Windows you will need to set the boot order so that your optical drive has a higher priority than your hard disk. Good luck!
  • Me again:

For no apparent reason a "Norton Security Scan" logo has appeared on the bottom right of my laptop.
    Is it OK to run it or just try and delete ?
    Thanks.
  • Since we're on the topic.

Old CPU. Safe to just take to dump or do I need to wipe it some how so people can't hack passwords/CL clique posts etc?

And if wipe how is it done?

Old CPU. Safe to just take to dump or do I need to wipe it some how so people can't hack passwords/CL clique posts etc?

Just take out the old hard drive, hit it a few times with a hammer and then discard with rest of the PC. ;-)

Just take out the old hard drive, hit it a few times with a hammer and then discard with rest of the PC. ;-)

Almost. You could use killdisk or something similar to zero the disk out, but physical destruction is better. However, hitting the actual drive with a hammer won't cut the mustard - you need to unscrew the drive housing and remove the platters inside (they look like mini CDs). Battering those with a hammer will smash them into thousands of pieces.
  • Cheers leroy
  • Cheers leroy

I put old computers/drives in a bucket of water. I made this suggestion to someone in a pub once. Their reply was "What if you can't get the whole computer in the bucket?".

• Use a magnet to wipe it
  • Cheers leroy

I put old computers/drives in a bucket of water. I made this suggestion to someone in a pub once. Their reply was "What if you can't get the whole computer in the bucket?".

With a little detergent?
    Followed by a quick wipe with a tea towel, that should ensure they are clean!
  • Sponsored links:

Better off hitting it with a large magnet or just use the hammer method
  • Me again:

For no apparent reason a "Norton Security Scan" logo has appeared on the bottom right of my laptop.
    Is it OK to run it or just try and delete ?
    Thanks.

I would not run it if i hadn't seen it before or felt uneasy about it. Too many viruses and other nasties mascarading as legitmate virus checkers. Some like McAfee now even seem have adopted stealth tactics as sales techniques, which spoils their reputation still further in my opinion. Not sure if Norton are up to that too. Eitherway they have made an awful lot of money out of fear and generally contributing to users' anxiety levels for years now. I stick with Avast myself, free and easy.
  • Thanks swords: was told similar on the phone earlier.
    Have deleted it without opening.

Magnet won't work unless you actually run it over the disk platters, and if you've taken it apart that much, you may as well just physically smash them up anyway.

Henry, if there's nothing particularly wrong with the hard drive, you could just take it out of the case and buy an external hard drive caddy to put it in. That way you can transfer old files off it at your leisure, and use the rest of the space for backups or storing files you don't use very often (photos, video, whatever)
  • Why are the only words I understand in this thread "hammer" and "magnet" ??????
  • Why are the only words I understand in this thread "hammer" and "magnet" ??????

"Ooooh you are awful..........but I like you" !