Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Now what?

After another listless and resigned-to-relegation performance do we seriously need to start planning for the huge reduction in our revenue next season?

I know to sell your 'best' players during in a relegation battle doesn't make a great deal of sense but they really don't look like they could give a toss anyway and we all know we over spent in the summer so should we have half an eye on restructuring now or go for broke in January? My main concern is that other than Darren Bent none of our players are worth any material sums of money anyway!

Was absolutely embarrassed by the team again on Saturday. Under Dowie I thought the performances, if not the results, were encouraging, the three games I've witnessed since his departure (20 minutes against Everton aside) have been nothing short of woeful. The team don't look interested, we still don't mark from set pieces, we can't string 2 passes together - we can't even get the basics right at the moment and worse still don't look like we care too much whether we put that right or not.

Sheff Utd were there for the taking on Saturday, really not a very good team and they didn't play with the passion that I expected them too either, unfortunately any team with players that can be a*sed to break into a trot occasionally are going to top our lot for passion.

First started worrying after the Reading game, then looked at the table mid-week and was extremely concerned, now I'm almost resigned to us dropping out of the league. I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm overreacting to the Monday morning blues but I just can't see any way out for us now. If we have one hope at all it's dropping the overpaid prima donnas and playing some kids with something to prove and an affinity for the club.

Comments

• Options
    Up until saturday i was still positive we could get out of it. Now i've accepted we're gone. Under Curbs we'd have ground out a 1-0 win up there but our defending once again from set pieces was woeful. I still expect Sheff Utd and Watford to go down but even if we do put a run together who else is worse than us?
  • Options
    "Sheff Utd were there for the taking on Saturday, really not a very good team and they didn't play with the passion that I expected them too either, unfortunately any team with players that can be a*sed to break into a trot occasionally are going to top our lot for passion."

I agree mate, and also believe we are doomed. What annoys me is that there are some very poor teams in the premiership but somehow we still manage to drop to a standard to make them look good. What ever level we need to drop to we will do it.

The "massive" were all reasonably upbeat on the journey home looking forward to a few new grounds in the Championship. Then a little voice piped up "But if we beat Blackburn..........". Absolutely fell about laughing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]"

The "massive" were all reasonably upbeat on the journey home looking forward to a few new grounds in the Championship. Then a little voice piped up "But if we beat Blackburn..........". Absolutely fell about laughing.

I know what you mean - if it wasn't for the money we've spent and the huge wage earners that I think we're really going to struggle to get off of our wage bill then I wouldn't mind too much myself, I think I still have faith in Murray but I'm worried about what relegation means for us this time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]The "massive" were all reasonably upbeat on the journey home looking forward to a few new grounds in the Championship. Then a little voice piped up "But if we beat Blackburn..........". Absolutely fell about laughing.

If (and granted thats a big IF) we were to get a run together and pull into midtable who is gonna be the first to mention Europe? ;-)
  • Options
    "If (and granted thats a big IF) we were to get a run together and pull into midtable who is gonna be the first to mention Europe? ;-) "

Europe!!!!? .....get a run together!!!!? We have a bloody comedian :-)

I hope that I am proved wrong Dan I really do ....................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]
    First started worrying after the Reading game, then looked at the table mid-week and was extremely concerned, now I'm almost resigned to us dropping out of the league. I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm overreacting to the Monday morning blues but I just can't see any way out for us now.

Pretty much my take, but i'm not going to believe we will be relegated before the Blackburn match. 3 points now could make a real difference. If we don't get them against Blackburn, i can't see where the next win is coming from.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Up until saturday i was still positive we could get out of it. Now i've accepted we're gone. Under Curbs we'd have ground out a 1-0 win up there but our defending once again from set pieces was woeful. I still expect Sheff Utd and Watford to go down but even if we do put a run together who else is worse than us?

Curbs couldn't manage to grind out any sort of win in an away game in his last 16 attempts. I can't see why you think he would have done it on Saturday.
  • Options
    A fair point but most seasons Curbs had a knack of picking up wins against the teams down there. Last year who went down, Birmingham, West Brom and Sunderland. We won away to them all.