Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Team For Tuesday

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Carson
Young Diwarra Traore Ashton
Ambrose Kish Reid El Kak D Bent
M Bent

4 5 1

Comments

• Options
    Oh gawd. Karkouri v Savage in midfield. Doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Options
    I think put baby Bent on the bench, give him a little kick up the arse that he can't just waltz into the team at the moment. give Lloyd Sam a run out too.
  • Options
    let me get this right Pete, you'd play Darren Bent left wing ?
  • Options
    yep he has played there for ipswich and would bring in m bent to provide the hold up play for d bent, ambrose and reid to come up and have a pop. we might as well try it nothing else is working.
  • Options
    I honestly dont think it matters anymore as the which players or formations, cos this squad is quite simply not good enough. It also does not have the belief or balls to get us out of this mess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]let me get this right Pete, you'd play Darren Bent left wing ?
    Having our top scorer out wide sounds bonkers, but I think it might work, although he'd be slightly further forward and not so wide as a traditional winger. When we play 4-5-1 he often gets pushed out wide due to the direction the ball has been played, but then has no-one in the middle to pass it to, cos the midfield are too slow at pushing up. If Marcus has to play the central striker role, then he gets to take all the punishment from the centre backs, and is still central enough to receive the balls in from wide positions.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We spent a long time like this-albeit no intentionally i think- JJ was often forced out onto the wing-

as Ali says, sounds madness but might be worth a punt-

Certainly not the wackiest idea put forward here- or am i clutching at straws??????
  • Options
    just in my opinion, we need to get back to basics as soon as possible, and to do that you need a settled structure. Tinkering i don't think is going to find us the answer, i'd go with a flat 4-4-2, or a 4-5-1 that would see us in control of the ball the more, ie. dominate the centre of the park.

I'd start:

Carson

Young Fortune Diawara Traore

Sam Kish Faye Thomas

Bent Bent

Kish and Faye need to work like rabid dogs, Sam and Thomas should be given targets on how many crosses they need to get in. Both those strikers are decent in the air, yet we hardly ever provide from wide areas.

If it was felt we would be overrun in the centre, i'd drop M Bent and put Holland in the centre. Or possibly play Hughes between the midfield and strikers. Last season he checked in with a few goals, and that could be vital to us.

If Sam doesn't work, i'd give Romm the last 30 mins. Romm is an impact player who has consistantly struggled to have an impact over 90 minutes.
  • Options
    what's up with reid?
  • Options
    I agree with you AFKA that we need to keep a settled team. So why do you want to drop Saturday's best performer as 'Peakey's Rocket' says.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can't play Darren Bent in a 451 because he is not a target man.

The biggest signing we missed out on was Dean Ashton for 3 million from Crewe.

Him and Baby Bent would be perfect. Marcus isn't a target man, nor is Hasslebank, nor is Darren.

Look at the teams around us, they all have a target man

Newcastle - Sibierski
    Watford - Henderson/King
    Sheffield - Hulse
    West Ham - Playing badly without Ashton

We used to have Dare I say it Bartlett, but players in the target man mould we are missing right now and we need one desperately IMO.

Darren Bent wants to be making runs off the defenders shoulders from flick ons or through balls not being the target man.
  • Options
    LOL, christ things are getting to me !!

I meant Reid instead of Thomas. I like Reid central, but until we get a bit of spine to us and get other players performing, i think he is a bit of a luxury for 90 mins in a free role.
  • Options
    Agree there Tom, there are key players we have missed out on over the years. It took long enough, but we gambled on Dazza and he paid off. A couple of other gambles, including Ashton from Crewe and we could have had a really solid, young team.