Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preparing for next season

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Murray should now get some of his new found wealth and spend it on decent young ish players and some dogs of war in Jan and next summer to get us back up next year and get a proven manager in.

What a cock up this year bad choice of head bleeding coaches.

Comments

• Options
    serious questions still have to be answered, but who is there to ask them ???

perhaps we have all been too supportive ?

views ?
  • Options
    I'm just frustrated.

Complacency set in during the last year or two of the Curbishley era, and after compounding that with the "Dowie fiasco" we're now going to pay the price.

I could go on all day, but I won't. It's too depressing/annoying.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]serious questions still have to be answered, but who is there to ask them ???

perhaps we have all been too supportive ?

views ?

You are right AFKA, I am afraid that Richard Murray has to take full responsibility for this. He and the board got too comfortable under Curbs but when he left they were found out big time. He tried to put a rather strange football management structure in place, which has never worked in any other football club, and he recruited Dowie because he said he would work within that structure. Dowie obviously soon realised how absurd the structure was and tried to work around it. Exit Dowie. Sticking to his misplaced belief in his new management structure, Les Reed automatically gets promoted to take over.

This new structure seems to be based on Richard Murray trying to avoid having to go out and find a new manager from outside the club again. A process which he admitted during the summer had been very stressful. Unfortunately as Richard Murray gets older he has less energy available to devote to the club, and make no mistake he has devoted huge amounts of time and energy (and money) over the last 15 years. I really do believe that in installing this infamous new structure he was trying to ensure that the club could run effectively with less input from himself. It was all done with the best of intentions, but unfortunately it has directly doomed us to relegation.

Just my thoughts. Anybody else?
  • Options
    It's the same structure used all across Europe, and at Spurs, it's not that untried, and usually works well
  • Options
    I'm not sure how you can throw three people together in a new structure and expect it to work.

Most managers seem to like to choose their own No.2, but obviously Dowie wasn't able to do that. Maybe that's why Billy Davies wanted time to think it over when he was the first one offered the job?

Fair enough, Dowie signed up to it, but for whatever reason it didn't work and now Reed and Robson have moved along a seat and it hasn't (yet) got any better.

I like what Reed has got to say for himself, but you can't help feeling he was the cheap and easy option. After all, if he was really rated as a potential manager, why wasn't he offered the job - or even go for it? - when Curbs left?
  • Options
    To a large extent, Chelsea use a similar structure as well. It is not untried it just doesn't appear to have worked that often in the UK or been adopted either.

It is just choosing the wrong staff has been the problem, I don't think Mills does much more than take the burden of player sales and purchasing off of Murray and to a lesser or greater the manager. It would be nice to know.

How much input did Dowie have in the players we bought in is the big question very little and it is understandable his frustration as he effectively walked in to a situation where a player list had already been decided? You can't manage if the players coming in you either have a low or no opinion in. The players all seemed very Cubs targets.

It is just toooo depressing...
  • Options
    We also lose 30 Million...... yep ..........30 Million ..... oh well.

9 Million in parachute payments......
  • Options
    We need a good clear out.There are not enough players who have any affinity to the club,we need to bring youth through or buy youth.Too many players are there for the pay day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]We also lose 30 Million...... yep ..........30 Million ..... oh well.

9 Million in parachute payments......

mascott, technically we wont lose 30mill, cos we wont get it to be able to lose it! this make sense (went to viceroy to drown sorrows, was bloody ok!)
  • Options
    I think we are learning just how good a manager Curbs was. His teams were always better than the sum of their parts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah ... I know what you mean 04........

If we havnt got it how can we lose it type thing.......
  • Options
    who cares about money, we are Charlton, tiny Charlton, we have been punchin above our weight for ages now, lets see the passion come back to the valley next year, once all the plastics fook orf
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    'You are right AFKA, I am afraid that Richard Murray has to take full responsibility for this.

This new structure seems to be based on Richard Murray trying to avoid having to go out and find a new manager from outside the club again.

A process which he admitted during the summer had been very stressful. Unfortunately as Richard Murray gets older he has less energy available to devote to the club, and make no mistake he has devoted huge amounts of time and energy (and money) over the last 15 years. I really do believe that in installing this infamous new structure he was trying to ensure that the club could run effectively with less input from himself. It was all done with the best of intentions, but unfortunately it has directly doomed us to relegation.
    '

Red pete- i'm just back from Brammel Lane and believe you me i've had the full works of thoughts and emotions go through my mind. But at no time have i, will i blame Richard Murray. He's an honest man, who makes honest decisions.

I agree about the bit in the thread about this showing us just how good a manager Curbs was.

I am however bitterly disappointed, fed up, F'ed off, knackered and desperately needing to try and salvage some PMA.

But, i will not blame Richard Murray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Mate .. that must have been rubbish.... for all who went up there, must have been rubbish.... did we look proper rubbish Stanmore???
  • Options
    To be honest- until they scored- no.

That's the problem because when you play rubbish, it's easy to see how to address it.

But the second goal killed the players and the fans- horrible!
  • Options
    Leicester, Derby, Southampton, Norwich, Leeds, Sheff Wednesday, Wolves, West Brom, Coventry, Sunderland, Ipswich, we'll possibly be in good company. Then again I still believe we can beat the drop.

We are too fluffy in midfield, Holland, Rommedahl and Ambrose offer no bite or defensive cover. Reed needs to come up with a formula just as Curbs did when he switched to 451 vs Spurs a couple of seasons back.

So we have to think out of the box. I am not an El Kark fan in the back four, Walton returns bring Gibbs in and go as follows
    Carson, Young, Diawarra, HH, Traore Sam El Kark, Walton, Gibbs, Reid Bent. We need steel, fighters, a never say die attitude, resilience a will to win at all costs. I can forgive my Charlton if they hold these values presently I find it very difficult to continue to have hope. BUT whilst 69 points remain hope is what we must have plus a whole ,load of attitude
  • Options
    Mate..... that sucks... 'kiled the players and the fans' mate......

don't know what to say...
  • Options
    mass walkout after the second went in ?

did the players come over at the end ?
  • Options
    To be honest- there really wasn't any real reaction-

Most of s put our head in our hands and just resigned outself to the almost inevitable

Didn't even feel antagonsm against the Blades fans- we could sense their relief
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited December 2006
    You guys made some good noise from i could hear, i think good on all those who turned out.

shame about the reult mind! How many CAFC there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they were loud,excellent support
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lucy lou[/cite]they were loud,excellent support

are you being sarcastic chirpy?
  • Options
    dunno- apparently we sold 850- less than Reading and less passionate than Fulham

was a good noise- unusually for me - i was on the beers from 11.30 so my judgement is/was a tad impared.

Funny enough- and it's probably been said before- but the away suport was probably a whole lot better for the $hit position we are in.
  • Options
    I havent got a voice at the moment,

I think the Reed & Robbo chant has killed me