Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petrol Tank - Cars - own up, who knew this?

DA9DA9
edited December 2008 in Fun, Jokes & Captions
We are never too old to learn.

WHO KNEW THIS???

I have been driving for over 50 years. I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time...I didn't...and I bet you didn't either...

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car and when arriving at the petrol station wondered...mmm, which side is the petrol filler cap?
My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!!!!
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the petrol station or put your neck at risk of uncomfort or injury.

If you look at your petrol gauge, you will see a small icon of a petrol pump?
The handle of the petrol pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the petrol pump?
If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo). It is that simple!

I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out this morning I felt cheated!

WHY don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers?

I don't understand why this isn't in the Highway Code or even the car manufacturers’ manual.

I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been to or know has even thought of mentioning this to me.

The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

Go out and share the world’s best kept auto secret with your friends as this is information is way too important to be kept secret.

nullWe are never too old to learn.

Comments

• I didn't know it if that helps!
  • I hire cars in different countries regularly. Without sounding too smug, I can say that I knew that. However, I didnt realise it until a year or two ago when someone told me. It was a great moment in my life.
  • Well blow me down with a feather.
  • We discovered that little gem about a year ago, just as suprised.

Another one - if your being mugged at a cash machine an you put your pin number in inreverse it alerts the police, but still gives you the money. Personally never tried this one and hopefully never will...
  • PS....the above is a copied forum thread, not my own ramblings.
  • If I learn nothing else on this forum, learning that has made it all worth while!
  • bet Mrs Glass half empty will still not understand....
  • [cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]We discovered that little gem about a year ago, just as suprised.

Another one - if your being mugged at a cash machine an you put your pin number in inreverse it alerts the police, but still gives you the money. Personally never tried this one and hopefully never will...

I'm sorry but that is just bollox.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]We discovered that little gem about a year ago, just as suprised.

Another one - if your being mugged at a cash machine an you put your pin number in inreverse it alerts the police, but still gives you the money. Personally never tried this one and hopefully never will...[/quote]

I'm sorry but that is just bollox.[/quote]

after some expansive (google) research, you are quite quite right. Apparently everything you read in emails isn't true. Does that mean that i am not going to meet the love of my life in the next 24 hours.... outrageous i sent that email to over 25 people!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]We discovered that little gem about a year ago, just as suprised.

Oi, chirpy, get off the fence, you'll get splinters
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]We discovered that little gem about a year ago, just as suprised.

Of course it is, what if your code is 1001 or 0220?
  • I knew it was told by my p.e teacher at school
  • I did know that but only from reading it somewhere recently!
  • I knew that.The dealer told me when i bought my sparkly new car a few years back.

Which was lucky because he had put next to no fu*k*ng petrol in the bloody thing!!!
  • Sooooooooo im at an ATM im being mugged but if i put my pin number in back wards the OB race to the scene -------------------------have i got that right ?

FFS you learn everyday dont you ? i mean who would have thought the puting your pin number in backwards not only stops the scum attacking whil you enter the number but actually gets OB off their collective fat arses and actually responding to a real crime ?

Not many people know this but twating a prospective muggerover the head with the reverse side of a claw hammer also works .
  • cafcpolo, you can't just go around giving your pin number out willy nilly. Would be quite funny if everytime you put your pin in the police turned up, own private police force
  • [cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]cafcpolo, you can't just go around giving your pin number out willy nilly. Would be quite funny if everytime you put your pin in the police turned up, own private police force

Gravedodger in front of me in Boots today didn't mind sharing her pin number - she said it extremely loudly as she types it.
    She also read her name out as it appeared on the card

Some people dno't do themselves any favours do they.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]cafcpolo, you can't just go around giving your pin number out willy nilly. Would be quite funny if everytime you put your pin in the police turned up, own private police force

Gravedodger in front of me in Boots today didn't mind sharing her pin number - she said it extremely loudly as she types it.
    She also read her name out as it appeared on the card

Some people dno't do themselves any favours do they.....

I get that every day at work, people shouting their pins as they type it in, people trying to use their "mates credit card" "coz he said it wuz alrite didn't he bruv, whats the problem?", people trying to use cheques with no guarantee card knowing there is no money in the account, unaware we will check it.

I have come to the conclusion after dealing with the general public on a daily basis for nearly 4 years, that they are fecking idiots with the IQ's of rocking horses.
  • The original post on this thread is bollocks as well.

Sorry.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]

Of course it is, what if your code is 1001 or 0220?

Thanks for that, now if I get my cash cards stolen you've given the thieves my pin numbers ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]The original post on this thread is bollocks as well.

Sorry.
    I concur - it's the wrong side on my car!
  • Another urban myth dashed............
  • same with me I checked earlier and my dashboard shows the petrol thingy on the right - petrol cap is def on the left.
  • mine shows the pump thingy on the right but has an arrow pointing to the left (where the tank is)
  • guess its a 50/50 but i'm sad and checked mine yesterday as well... :-)

And it is the correct side
  • The petrol cap is on the opposite side to the exhaust pipe at the back. So jump out and have a look at the exhaust. ;-)
  • This has to be the greatest none thread I have ever read on this list - absolutely priceless.
  • There is definately something that identifies which side it is

Pat on the back for whoever gets it right
  • easy it's the side with a slight lip normally or in other words a petrol cap!
  • Dazzler's got it. This is the ONLY way to be sure. NONE of the other ways (petrol pumps with the nozzle on one side, little arrows pointing one way or the other etc etc) are true, its another one of those poxy chain letter/urban legend/I Heard It On The T'Internetz So It Must Be True things.

SOME manufacturers of modern cars have implemented something like this into their dash designs in the past few years, but its only a few of them, and none did it seven or eight years ago, so if you've got a car that's either more than eight years old or made by one of the manufacturers that doesn't implement any sort of notification system then you're f***ed. Of course, if you'd done what any driver with an IQ higher than a slice of carrot cake would have done and CHECKED what side of the car the petrol cap was on before peeling off the hire car forecourt you wouldn't have to worry about it.