Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fortune returns and......

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
......we keep a clean sheet - the last since he was injured I believe. I know he's not everyoones favourite but he's more than capable at this level and playing alongside Hudson, they compliment one another.

Comments

• I think he looks the part, partners Hudson much better than Primus or Cranie...we actually looked pretty solid at the back today
  • Jon Fortune is arguably the most underrated player at the club.

The bloke did an adequate if not outstanding job in the Prem when called upon so is well capable of performing at this level.

We had most of our wins last season when Fortune played alongside Sodje. He seems to play well with Hudson so if he is fit keep him in there!
  • Fortune's treatment by successive managers has always puzzled me. Seems that Curbs, Dowie, Reed and Pardew never rated him - he would get a run in the side, make one mistake and get summarily dropped. I've always thought he was a good, solid, reliable defender in the main - witness his performances alongside Costa and against the more (ahem) 'combative' strikers like Shearer. Decent player, never seems to be involved in any shenanigans off the pitch and never shirks his responsibilities on it.
  • One of our few remaining Premeirship quality players. I think it's about time the fans started to show their appreciation of him.
    One of our own, and to the best of my knowledge has never pushed for a transfer.
  • JFs last 3 games- Charltons last 3 clean sheets.
    And "he sent the Palace down!".
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Jon Fortune is arguably the most underrated player at the club.

The bloke did an adequate if not outstanding job in the Prem when called upon so is well capable of performing at this level.

We had most of our wins last season when Fortune played alongside Sodje. He seems to play well with Hudson so if he is fit keep him in there!

Agree totally.

If you want an clear demonstration of why Parky is not Pardew just look at Fortune's name on the teamsheet.
  • And charlton he is.......

last three games clean sheets sounds good to me....
  • forts did extreemley well yesterday and we did look solid

my back 4 would be Mcevely hudson forts cranie based on yesterday if they remain the 4 the consistancy we need to get out of shite should appear
  • if we can tighten up at the back and scramble a win next week Parkinson could become a bit popular... slow and steady is what we need.... I think there are a lot of teams in the samw boat or similar bots to us(been in the prem recently and struggling) Southampton, Norwich, Watford..... if we can steady now and my ONLY target is safety this year then Parkinson will have done a great job..... Im getting ahead of my self....
  • mate there was loads of positives to be had if you take small steps in this league it can turn around i reckon we have a chance right now
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]......we keep a clean sheet - the last since he was injured I believe. I know he's not everyoones favourite but he's more than capable at this level and playing alongside Hudson, they compliment one another.

Hmm you beat me to it (but only by 18 hrs).

Before Fortune got injured we were a steady mid table team and the defence was not great but ok. It certainly wasn't shipping 3 or more goals per game. As you say, I was at Forest when he went off injured. I wasn't pleased at the time and it was the last game before Saturday that we hadn't conceded.

I think Primus has done well but both he and Hudson are big and slow. Fortune is not the quickest, but he is more mobile than the others.

Hudson and Fortune should now remain. Thanks Linvoy and welcome back John !
  • J F will be next player sold ,he is proberly the only one left on prem wages and contract must b up soon
  • I'm not convinced that Hudson is a leader at the back as he does at times appear extremley hesitant- Hopefully JF will bring more stability to the back 4. For my money-Primus would be ideal with JF.
  • Glad to see him back, more comfortable on the ball than Hudson or Primus and is generally solid.

Just never quite found enough consistency, but he doesn't often have a good run i nthe side.
  • I'm not a Fortune fan and think his he hasn't turned into the Rufus like player that his early days made me think he would. But credit were it is due him and Hudson look a good partnership and are the best centre back partnership we have at the club at the moment.
  • Could well see Fortune become an important player for us, he's got plenty of experience now, rather than being a decent young centre back who can't be relied on every week. Hopefully.
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]If you want an clear demonstration of why Parky is not Pardew just look at Fortune's name on the teamsheet.
    sarcasm?
    (Fortune was playing until he got injured and this is his first game back)

I am not so sure that he did an adequate job in the Premier League, he generally wasn't good enough at that level - which is why he was rarely Curbs' first choice. As is well commented upon, he tends to do well only if you can find the right partner for him, and he has been doing very well with Hudson this season.
  • Looking forward to hopefully Hudson and Fortune building on their partnership, we looked solid at the start of the season.

Hudson even said he was enjoying playing with Fortune and thought they worked well together.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    I am not so sure that he did an adequate job in the Premier League, he generally wasn't good enough at that level - which is why he was rarely Curbs' first choice. As is well commented upon, he tends to do well only if you can find the right partner for him, and he has been doing very well with Hudson this season.

But even in the Prem, Fortune looked reasonably assured with the right partner beside him, Rufus, Costa for example.

Fortune is the sweeper type of the centre back pairing - and has always proved that he needs to play alongside a dominant 'first to the ball in the air' type defender - his team mate goes in for the first ball and Fortune covers and picks up the pieces.

Where Fortune has always been more ineffective, is playing him alongside another sweeper type centreback, like Bougherra for example. Neither generally attacked the first ball.

So to get the best out of Fortune (and indeed more or less any player) is to play him in the right combination.
  • he's a good top half of the championship defender so if he stays fit he will help our climb up the table..
    don't think he ever had the ability to play at the highest level regularly cos he needed help but was reasonable enough as cover... i think curbs knew when to use him ... good judge that bloke ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• /quote]Agree totally.

If you want an clear demonstration of why Parky is not Pardew just look at Fortune's name on the teamsheet.[/quote]

I thought he was injured, and just got back into contention. prone to lapses in concentration for those with short memories, does seem to be a better partner for Hudson though, he always seemed better with the right partner.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]he's a good top half of the championship defender so if he stays fit he will help our climb up the table..
    don't think he ever had the ability to play at the highest level regularly cos he needed help but was reasonable enough as cover... i think curbs knew when to use him ... good judge that bloke ;-)[/quote]

LOL!

Think you're spot on regarding Fortune - very good top half of the Championship defender and if he stays fit will help us keep some clean sheets and climb away from the relegation zone

as for Curbs, well anyone who thinks Masecherano isn't up to it and then brings in Nigel Quashie for £4m in preference to him - great judge of a player!!
  • Pleased to have him back, he is a good defender at this level and the right partner foil we have for Hudson.

I would suggest that the reason JF hasn't been such a regular in the side over the years has probably been down more to attitude and what happens on the training ground, rather than what happens on a matchday.

I think he will be an asset to us this season, but i think his contract is up in the summer and i expect him to leave on his own accord. I may be wrong.
  • He is without a doubt the king of cock ups. Accidental or not he is a liability that makes mistakes that demoralize the team.
  • You can look at any player, focus on a weakness - and say that he's not good enough.

How about people focus on the abilty of players and the qualities they bring to the team - instead of crucifying them for an error or two?

No player is perfect, even at the top of their game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]He is without a doubt the king of cock ups. Accidental or not he is a liability that makes mistakes that demoralize the team.

So do most of our other defenders to be fair, Fortune is far from the worst when it comes to making mistakes.

Hopefully he'll get a proper run in the side with Hudson and he'll cut out the mistakes he used to make.
  • the problem with Forts is that when he does cock up invariably it costs a goal, I think that he has bben unlucky in that sense, It is not as if he does a bramble and makes several mistakes a game that all result in chances and normally one or two goals,
  • [cite]Posted By: kmem4[/cite]J F will be next player sold ,he is proberly the only one left on prem wages and contract must b up soon

I think we'll see ZZ leaving long before Fortune does.
  • I think Forts is really comfortable here ..... and wouldn't risk going anywhere else in case he couldn't get a game

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]He is without a doubt the king of cock ups. Accidental or not he is a liability that makes mistakes that demoralize the team.

So do most of our other defenders to be fair, Fortune is far from the worst when it comes to making mistakes.

Hopefully he'll get a proper run in the side with Hudson and he'll cut out the mistakes he used to make.

Spot on.

if we had just bought in on loan a player with 150 odd games in the prem we'd be thinking "good addition to the side".

And no not sarcasm. I think Parky will give Fortune more of a chance and more of a lift than Pardew IMHO