Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Burton and McFingy straight in the 16- Racon a doubt...

edited November 2008 in General Charlton
On the OS right now. Racon struggling with knee injury. Comments on Bailey and the inconsistancy of Youga.

On the capture of Burton from Sheffield Wednesday, Parkinson continued: "I was also concerned with the fact that if Andy Gray got injured, I couldn't see a front two in the rest of the squad that I'd be happy playing together.

"Front players are all about combinations, so going into this important month for the club and up until the January window, I felt we needed not just a hold-up player, but also someone who could play with Andy. Deon fits that bill perfectly.

"Deon's had a good career, he's a good experienced player and I'm delighted to have him on board. He was available on a free transfer and I don't think you'll find many better free transfers floating around hours before the transfer window closes than Deon Burton."

Comments

• Heading should read: Burton and McFingy straight in 16.
    Soz.
  • don't think the squad is 16 players only.
  • One pleasing thing about Parky, he seems to be seeing the same game as we do:

[/i]"Nicky came here and did really well, but I felt he'd got caught up with the negativity around the place and had taken the responsibility on to his shoulders," Parkinson mused.

"His performances had deteriorated to some extent and I felt he just needed to come out and sit back and have a look at things. I know when Nicky comes back in the team he'll be fine. He's shown he can play at this level, he's scored three goals and he's done very, very well."[/i]
  • must admit he talks a lot of sense. However, I listened to Pards at NWK three weeks ago nad he talked a lot of sense. Football isn't about talking though so we'll have to see if he can walk the walk too.
  • Reading between the lines (!), it does sound that Parky is going to start them both.

Sounds like Youga is out of time .....and Burton goes in alongside Gray, in the light of the combination talk and 'not having forwards who can play together' stuff.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Reading between the lines (!), it does sound that Parky is going to start them both.

Sounds like Youga is out of time .....and Burton goes in alongside Gray, in the light of the combination talk and 'not having forwards who can play together' stuff.

agreed so it's likely to be :

Weaver
    Cranie Hudson Fortune McEverly
    Gillespie Semedo Racon/Bailey/Holland/Wright Bouazza
    Gray Burton

Moo2 could replace Cranie if he wants to play Primus because of the five loaneee rule he can't play both and it's a cert that McEverly/Gillespie/Bouazza/and Burton or Waghorn will start.
  • I like the look of your 7 man midfield, Large. That should dominate matches!

:o)
  • edited November 2008
    Thinking about it .....Saints are a bit of a footballing side, with many young inexperienced players.

So he might risk Moo2, to get up and down the line to add pace on the right side.

Should Gray and Burton start, with Gillespie wide ....... that's a bit of a geriatric striking force - 95 years between them.

Edit: Is Chris Perry still at Saints - and if so, is he playing tomorrow?
  • edited November 2008
    Yes, I like the way Parky talks, too.

I got into a debate on here over Pardew's words a few weeks ago around the difference between being eloquent and being articulate.

Pardew was eloquent - ie never lost for words, always sounded convincing, until you analysed what he'd actually said and realised it was riddled with contradictions, inconsistencies and blatant illogicalities.

Parky is sounding genuinely articulate - ie his eloquence has the added virtue of coherence. it all hangs together as a genuinely thought-out plan of the team he wants to put out and how he wants them to play.

One interesting sentence was : "Front players are all about combinations''. Unless you're playing 4-5-1. So does that mean an end to the loan striker nonsense?

The OS match previewer seems to have been tipped that Waghorn and Gray will start again, with Burton presumably on the bench. It's also clear McFingy will start and it sounds like Parky is keen on Cranie continuing at full-back.

So that's four loanees. Which means only one of Primus, Buzz and Gillespie can be in the squad. I reckon Fortune will come in for Primus (never thought he could or should play three games in eight days, anyway). But then one of Gillespie and Buzz would have to go. Tough on either of them to be banished to the stands, I reckon.

If Fortune can't last 90 mins yet and we can't have Primus on the bench, Cranie can move to the centre - another reason it sounds like he will start.
  • Have u seen the photo of McEveley in the article. Chuffed to be here obviously!
  • Sponsored links:

• But Mart, what about the pic of Burton in his Charlton shirt ? Looks like he can't believe his luck and had been expecting to be shipped out to Rotherham or Macclesfield !
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]But Mart, what about the pic of Burton in his Charlton shirt ? Looks like he can't believe his luck and had been expecting to be shipped out to Rotherham or Macclesfield !

I'm just hoping that we get the player that many Owls fans seem to rate (despite not many goals) and that McEveley isn't as awful as the Preston and Derby fans are saying. Cant wait till tomorrow if only to see how 7 fit in to 5!
  • edited November 2008
    Gillespie will be there, McEveley will be, Burton will be on the bench at least, so thats 3 out of 5.

I think Bouazza will start, we only really have Basey (or even Youga?! could that happen?) as an option at left midfield. That's 4 out 5 allowed.

We have plenty of options up front, but Waghorn started on Tuesday, surely going to be involved?

Cranie could be left out for Moutaouakil - Youga is a weaker link than Moutaouakil. At home Yassin is a big advantage going forward. Especially with Gillespie on the right instead of Sam.

Fortune could be back for Primus - as said he shouldn't play 3 games in a week. And Fortune will add that bit extra pace against a young Southampton side.

So I think Primus will be left out, then its out of Waghorn and Cranie, it's unlikely the first four will be left out.

Which would mean the team will most likely be-

Weaver
    Yassin Hudson Fortune McEveley
    Gillespie Semedo Racon (if fit)/Bailey Bouazza
    Gray Waghorn/Burton

Subs
    Elliot
    Basey
    Bailey/Holland
    Todorov/Dickson/McLeod
    Waghorn/Burton

Holland could easily be ahead of Bailey, though Racon might make it.

I'll be surprised if its much different from that. Can see Cranie being involved but I think the best balance will be with Yassin there and McEveley in Youga's place. Pace in Yassin & Bouazza, and (hopefully) more solid players in Gillespie and McEveley on each wing.

Only other player who could be there, unless I've forgotten someone, is Josh Wright, but I'll think he'll just about miss out.

Interesting to see Parkinson didn't mention Shelvey as competing for that midfield spot. Is he injured? Or does Parkinson rate Wright ahead of him?
  • Good points, Nigel ......eloquently and articulately put. ;o)

My thoughts: he's not really going to dispense with Buzz I shouldn't think, 2 goals in 3 matches and laid on Tuesday's equaliser. He's a bit in and out of matches but when he's in, the opposition don't really handle him.

Parky was well pleased about Gillespie's performance on Tuesday, and so were our intrepid away posters who were there. So he should start - unless Parky thinks that 2 starts in 4 days is too much too soon for a 33 year old, who this season so far had only played for his country. He'd be on the bench at least, unless either one of them is carrying a knock, of course.

Waggy was well praised too but perhaps will be benched or swapped with Burton, who I feel will feature at least if not start. I still feel both will be in the squad. Unless Gray is the one rested for his personal reasons.

So that's 4 loanees who I feel will be involved.

At the back, McFingy is a definite starter, picking up the vibe on the OS; so there's your 5 loanees.

Fortune has got a bit of pace and sometimes so much composure he forgets to compete, but earlier this season was good alongside Hudson, so he'll start. He can't play both Crainie and Primus - or perhaps he'll play neither of them?
    So we might see Moo2, after all.

He's certainly got a dilemma but I believe Parky will go for the win, so expect to see him field an attack minded side.
  • Sco, I just spent 10 minutes putting my post together - only to discover it's so very similar to yours, making much the same points, lol
  • edited November 2008
    I know there's no point harping on about the past now the man has gone. But god, every time I think about our strikers it makes me so angry. Pardew bought seven of them:

Iwelumo Gray Varney Fleetwood Dickson McLeod Todorov

All in less than two years. Yet tomorrow, only Gray is likely to feature , supported by two loanees, neither of whom was here two weeks ago.

Perhaps Pardew needs his pay-off from the sale of Varney: the money might have to last him the rest of his life, because frankly, if there is any justice nobody will ever give him a job in football again.
  • nelson out
  • You're being unfair on the grate man Nigel, at least half of them barely played and two never started :-)
  • Morts,

can you look in your crystal ball and tell us if Dickson is ever going to start ? !

You might also tell me the answer to the 'guess the size of Saturday's crowd' thread while you're at it ... I won't let on that I had inside info!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Yes, I like the way Parky talks, too.

One interesting sentence was : "Front players are all about combinations''. Unless you're playing 4-5-1. So does that mean an end to the loan striker nonsense?[/quote]

erm no it means you can't have combinations of 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Raz, forgive the mis^spe!lli*ng. I meant lone striker!!!
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Have u seen the photo of McEveley in the article. Chuffed to be here obviously!

Just seen the photo's in the os, they look like they were taken in a police station and their name and number have been left off Or maybe due financial restriants they whisked them over to Charlton railway station and used the photo booth ;-)
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite] Football isn't about talking though so we'll have to see if he can walk the walk too.

No it's about being tainted by who your previous boss was and fans wishing their side lose so you get the sack.

"we'll have to see if he can walk the walk" Amazing statement. Give a caretaker a chance to show what he can do rather than decide he's guilty by association. What is the world coming to!!!!!!!!

: - )
  • All we are saying is give Parks a chance
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Football isn't about talking though so we'll have to see if he can walk the walk too.

No it's about being tainted by who your previous boss was and fans wishing their side lose so you get the sack.

"we'll have to see if he can walk the walk" Amazing statement. Give a caretaker a chance to show what he can do rather than decide he's guilty by association. What is the world coming to!!!!!!!!

: - )

can't win can I Ben. And I wasn't wishing we would lose. I don't go every week for that. I go to see us win whoever the manager is. If Parky is going to get the job give it to him now. Until they do it suggests that they are not convinced he can do the job. By allowing him to bring in these loanees and ship out Varns it suggests he is going to be given a few weeks to sort it out. If he fails we are deeper in the doodoo as a new manager would have less time and less games to sort it out. Until a manager is appointed we are in limbo, whether than is Parky or someone else.
  • No, not if you change your stance so often. A few days OK he was tainted and not the man for the job as he was responsible for coaching.

And you did ask the question "do we want the team to win on Saturday?" from which I inferred, perhaps incorrectly, that you felt a defeat to Soton and Parky's subsequent sacking would be better for the club in the long term.

Now you are sayingPP talks sense but has to show he can get the team doing it on the pitch.

All the stuff about give him the job now, their not convinced, he's been given a few weeks etc is speculation.

He's a caretaker. Even if there is a name they want and he's available now and wants to come it would take time to get him in.

Why not take time to look around, see who applies, put some feelers out as to who's interested and who's not, which clubs are willing to let us speak to their manager etc and in the meantime let Parky try to steady the ship. All the deals are loans but we can all see something needs shaking up. Getting a few players like Varney and Ambrose out frees up wages to bring others in. Will they do the business. Not a clue.

All I've been trying to get over to you and the others saying he is "tainted" and who blame him for the set pieces, coaching, the players we bought and everything else is that he talks sense but has to show he can get the team doing it on the pitch.
  • edited November 2008
    Must say I agree with what Large says above. I would have liked to see something more decisive in terms of the managerial situation. I'm not against Parky being given the chance to prove himself in principle (although my view remains that both he and Pardew should have gone straight after Barnsley, since when we've dropped 11 points out of 12). Problem is, a desperate relegation scrap is not the scenario in which you have time for trial runs to see if somebody might be able to do the job. Parky has been here almost two years - surely the board should long ago have made some kind of assessment of his character and abilities and know whether they now feel comfortable with him stepping up or not ?

As it is, he might be here next week and he might not. We simply do not know and nor does the team. Don't see how that uncertainty does the obviously fragile mindset of the players any favours at all.

I think Large expressed his original point clumsily a few days ago, which perhaps explains why since then he's been widely misunderstood. But it you look at what he actually said rather than what other people claim he said, he has a point.

ps on edit: If you listen to what old players like Steve Brown say, they will tell you that professinal footballers do not like playing for caretakers/managers on trial because the uncertainty is so unsettling.
  • I havn't changed my stance. I still think he is 'tainted' but I'd be more than happy if he succeeds and if we do well over the next few games then he'll deserve the job. I agree that the squad needed shaking up and although happy with Gillespie, McEverly as they were positions we needed to address I'm not convinced we needed Burton when we havn't given Dickson or McLeod a fair crack. I do feel my comments were taken the wrong way and I perhaps didn't convey them articularly enough. However, if anyone thinks I'm going today, or have ever been to a game, hoping we lose then they are plainly bonkers.
  • Let's just see where we are at 5pm ......

Okay we'll be in the same table position, can't do anything about that today - but more importantly, have we had a decent team performance, and are there 3 points on the table?

To me, that's all that matters.
  • [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Must say I agree with what Large says above. I would have like to see something more decisive in terms of the managerial situation. I'm not against Parky being given the chance to prove himself in principle (although my view remains that both he and Pardew should have gone straight after Barnsley, since when we've dropped 11 points out of 12). Problem is, a desperate relegation scrap is not the scenario in which you have time for trial runs to see if somebody might be able to do the job. Parky has been here almost two years - surely the board should long ago have made some kind of assessment of his character and abilities and know whether they now feel comfortable with him stepping up or not ?

As it is, he might be here next week and he might not. We simply do not know and nor does the team. Don't see how that uncertainty does the obviously fragile mindset of the players any favours at all.

I think Large expressed his original point clumsily a few days ago, which perhaps explains why since then he's been widely misunderstood. But it you look at what he actually said rather than what other people claim he said, he has a point.

He's a CARETAKER.

That means he can be outed at anytime IF and WHEN a better person is available.

It's been all of five working days since Pardew was sacked but by not appointing in that one week the board are now not "decisive" FFS.

If they had made PP permanent or bought ANY manager in in such a quick time they would have been accused of panicking, rushing a key decision, not being able to cope with the pressure, not looking at who else was available, taking the cheap option, etc.

I would rather they got the decision right rather than make the decision quick and sometimes you can't do both.

In the meantime PP has a some games(no idea how many) to show what he can do.

I hope he wins every game and gets the job but if he doesn't and he's sacked well that's football.