Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"London, what city is that in?"

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
My missus was asked that on the phone when she was trying to order something - amazing!

To be fair she answered "the Capital City"!!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2008
    In 1987, The Sun sent a reporter to China to cover the Tianinamen Square crisis.

When the reporter landed he rang his editor on what The Sun amusingly calls its 'news' desk and announced that he had arrived in Beijing.

"That's good,'' said the news editor. "How long is it going to take you to get from there to Peking?''

You couldn't make it up...
  • Options
    Technically isn't it a County unless you live in the Square Mile??

:)
  • Options
    City of London used to be in Middlesex.
  • Options
    Was once asked

"Iran or Iraq: What's the right way to say it?"
  • Options
    I was asked by a student today 'are there more insects in the world than people?'...

I don't think London 'county' exists anymore. The metropolitan counties (including Greater London) were abolished in 1986 - that's when the tories put the kybosh on the GLC....

So if you are in SE7, you are in the London Borough of Greenwich in the geographical/historic county of Kent.

Pedants of the world, unite.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]I was asked by a student today 'are there more insects in the world than people?'...

I don't think London 'county' exists anymore. The metropolitan counties (including Greater London) were abolished in 1986 - that's when the tories put the kybosh on the GLC....

So if you are in SE7, you are in the London Borough of Greenwich in the geographical/historic county of Kent.

Pedants of the world, unite.

But I live in "Bromley, the London Borough" as it says on the signs.

Greenwich is deffo in the city of London if not in the City of London
  • Options
    Once had a travelling companion that thought the motorway numbers corresponded to their length in miles.

This after we had been travelling on the M1 for 2 hours!
  • Options
    I suppose Henry there is the city of London i.e the metropolis (the greater London conurbation) and the 'City of London' - the 'square mile' - the former is considerably bigger! The conurbation is arguably bigger than the old 'Greater London' - in GLC days, ever was. London really is comprised of 1000 villages as per the famous quote!
  • Options
    Christ, I do start some cracking threads don't I? This one has potentially got more mileage than my one on bus numbers - and that was a corker!
  • Options
    Oh dear. I hesitate to get involved in this after you all thought I was sad & boring on the bus number thread, but you can't keep an old tram spotter down! Briefly the current system came about in the London local government re-organisation of 1964. The various London Metropolitan Councils were merged into Boroughs e.g Greenwhich and Woolwich Councils became the L.B of Greenwhich,Brixton and parts of Wandsworth and Southwark became L.B Lambeth and so on , most of them also got some bits of next door councils so that population wise they were all roughly equivalent. The City of London remained unchanged in all this because of the various royal charters that it was founded on and that's why it's still got its own Old Bill. Middlesex disappeared completely as L.B Richmond and others swallowed it up. Geographically some outer London Councils are still within County boundaries but administratively they are independent. Yes it's sad and it's boring and I'm hoping Off_it can arrange protection after the game tomorrow as it's all his fault! I'm off to take me pills now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2008
    This is all frustratingly vague, March, with these generalised phrases like "and so on'', "most of'', "some bits'' and "roughly equivlant", not to mention the unforgivable imprecision of "various royal charters''. Could you give us some proper detail, please?
  • Options
    Sorry Nigel but I've started my pre-match routine now and I just know it would be really unlucky to go into the detail of The London Government Act 1963 at this time. I'm glad you're interested and suggest a bit of googling for the info' you're after, it will make fascinating reading and take your mind off tomorrow. Myself, I've got some decent vino and Taxi Driver's on the telly Hopefully Goodfellas or Usual Suspects will be on later; though there's always that Trolleybuses in London video I haven't watch for ages.
  • Options
    Reading through these posts I'm led to wonder..

a) Isn't it amazing that we all live in one of the greatest cities in the World but still don't actually know where it begins and where it ends.

b) What's on telly.
  • Options
    anything with se, sw, n, nw etc postcode is in London (county/city) da, br etc are kent, etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]anything with se, sw, n, nw etc postcode is in London (county/city) da, br etc are kent, etc

Wrong - otherwise, London wouldn't have Boris Johnson as mayor.

Anyway. what is on telly?
  • Options
    Prior to the idea of the Channel Tunnel, an American once asked me how long it takes to drive from London to Paris non-stop.
  • Options
    I once convinced a sweet but gullible girlfriend, who was from Devon, that due to a dispute between Greenwich and Newham, the Woolwich ferry we were travelling on would have to meet the other ferry half way across the Thames, and the cars would have to swap over.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]anything with se, sw, n, nw etc postcode is in London (county/city) da, br etc are kent, etc

Wrong - otherwise, London wouldn't have Boris Johnson as mayor.

Thank god for that then!
  • Options
    An American pundit (on ESPN I think) once described a match between West Ham and West Brom as a local match between the two Wests.
  • Options
    In reply to VFR the most northern borough of Greater London is Enfield with the area around Sewardstone being the most northerly point. Likewise Croydon is the most southerly borough with Purley being it most southerly point. In the west it is Hillingdon/Heston and in the east Havering/Becontree just beats Bexley/Erith as the most easterly point. In answer to your next question only Croydon had trams AND trolleybuses, Erith had only trolleys.They all had buses. Make of that what you will!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I lived in Bath for a while. I was dodging through the tourist hordes near Pulteney Bridge with my shopping & I heard a big, fat yank in plaid shorts say 'Are all these god dammed people on holiday'!