Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

View on Parky's loans

I wasn't too happy when I heard an old journeyman was in to replace Varney, not that I am pro Varney just doubted Burton would score anymore than Varney.

However I take Parkinson's point about needing cover for Gray and agree the right balance and front pairing is important and Burton’s inclusion may aid a better mix up front. We have 3 strikers who probably could play off a player like Burton, Wag/Izzy/Dicko and if he plays up front with Gray it might help Gray find the net more instead of having his back to goal most of the time.

Personally I give anyone a chance when they put on our red shirt and judge them on their displays. I also admit I was surprised to read Sheff Wed fans views of Burton and so take that on board in the hope he can do a job for us. After all we are in a hole and no point worrying about the long term future till we are out of this mess.

It seems to me the board are giving Parky the backing he needs to do the job now, allowing loans, these I imagine won’t hinder a new incumbent to the hot seat should Parkinson fail.

I certainly can't knock Parkinson actions overall so far, he is attempting to resolve problems that Pardew was papering over i.e. Left Back. Youga inconsistent and making to many errors, Basey to slow in my opinion for a LB. I have no idea whether McEveley is any good but at 6’ 1” he adds more height which should help at set pieces and hopefully he will play the position more consistently.

There is also a case to bring in Gillespie. Strikers need the ball supplied in the box early and with the right weight so they can anticipate and steal the march on defenders. Sam too often wants to beat the defender twice or simply doesn’t select the best option when crossing. Just as important, Parkinson has highlighted the lack of defensive experience of our wide men when we don’t have the ball leaving a soft underbelly to our midfield.

If Parkinson fails in getting points on the board in his immediate tenure, relegation beckons. Although the board have one more role of the dice to appoint a new manager even with the transfer window open. We could well find our selves in the precarious position of a couple of seasons ago when Pardew came in.

I am personally not bothered whether Parky becomes full time or not but I am extremely concerned that he is successful enough to get us out of the relegation slots.

Comments

• Burton is 5' 8" FFS - he's not going to hold the ball up or win many headers. I've seen him plenty of times and Izzy and Dicko are far better players.
  • 27 games to go - a bucketful of points to be played for, but we must make a start now.

Once the holiday fixtures are done, we'll have a better idea of the road ahead.
    So will Parky and the Board, so we'll see where we are then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Burton is 5' 8" FFS - he's not going to hold the ball up or win many headers. I've seen him plenty of times and Izzy and Dicko are far better players.

Well he's got a couple of months to prove himself then.
  • more of the same it seems....

Oh well the fun continues.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Burton is 5' 8" FFS - he's not going to hold the ball up or win many headers. I've seen him plenty of times and Izzy and Dicko are far better players.

Sounds like the perfect cover for Gray - he won't be able to win anything in the air, either.

Whoops, sorry, mustn't be realistic negative ;-)
  • edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Burton is 5' 8" FFS - he's not going to hold the ball up or win many headers. I've seen him plenty of times and Izzy and Dicko are far better players.

Sounds like the perfect cover for Gray - he won't be able to win anything in the air, either.

Whoops, sorry, mustn't be[strike]realistic[/strike]negative ;-)

I just hope that this means we plan to play to feet.

We are a relatively small team so it is the logical way to go in my view and I think we would be more successful.
  • Yay we'll become the Arsenal of League 1 overnight, whoopps!
  • I posted a link on here yesterday from a Sheff Weds fans site.

The vast majority of supporters say Burton's strengths are playing back to goal and bringing other players into the game. They say he's got a very good first touch.

Sounds exactly the sort of player we need. Particularly if we continue to lump the ball forward.

Will hopefully free up Gra/Izzy/Dickson.
  • Like most I was aprehensive about the loan signings but I feel he's improved three areas of the team that needed improving, up top RHS and LHS

Its nice to see someone with some logic in their signings rather than just signing players sparadically and for the sake of it
  • Surely the cover for Gray (Shouldn't it be the other way round) is Todorov.??

Is he injured again, or has he been loaned out.

If fit surely he should be playing with another striker off of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• According to wiki he is 5ft 10
  • Wikipedia where you can add the info yourself?
  • Toddy is fecked, can't anybody see this?? Great player once but now clearly in very bad shape after two knees gone.
  • I think Parky's done clever business.

He has strenghten 2 weak areas - Defence, and out wide. In addition he has given options up front.

It was always Gray + Varney/dickson/mcleod/waghorn. You can't rely on Todorov; has had 2 cruciate knee injuries, his career is all but over.

now Gray can be dropped/replaced if need be.

I liked varney, but there are already players like him at the club, so not too upset by him leaving.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Wikipedia where you can add the info yourself?

I guess I will figure out for myself on Sat.
  • Can we loan out Warrington Pete and get Big Fat Brian back?
  • players like Varney at the club? Think again, McLeod and Dicko are so out of favour its shocking... Varney gone means big hole!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
  • cover for gray - how funny is that.

He's inherited PARDEW S knack of spin
  • Come on guys, don't dig out Parky already, give him a chance.

He's moved to cover positional weaknesses in the side, the team itself played like a team in his first match - and we should give him the chance in the next few games to show his got a handle on the situation.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]Surely the cover for Gray (Shouldn't it be the other way round) is Todorov.??

Is he injured again, or has he been loaned out.

If fit surely he should be playing with another striker off of him.

Gray and Todorov are different types of players.

Todorov isn't there to win headers or hold up the ball with strength. He might hold it up with his control.

Find it a bit frustrating when he comes on as a sub, we hoof it up to him, and people wonder why he isn't winning headers or holding big centre backs off with strength.
  • Sponsored links:

• so far the continuity in management styles is very worrying... still time will tell, have a good one folks, I shall be in the west stand box 3 enjoying my stag.