Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton captains over the years

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Feel a little bit sorry for the stick Luke Young sometimes gets regarding the captaincy. Its not his fault he is not a natural leader, he got given the role at a tme when there was simply no obvious candidate, and there still isn't.

The best captain i've seen over the years was Kinsella, purely because not only was he a 100% little workhorse, he had talent as well, and seemed to be able to bring out the best in others.

Simon Webster was always an excellent captain for me. The side wasn't as talented then, and he was by no means the best player, but he had a real leadership about him. If you were going into battle, you would feel secure with Webbo by your side.

So what other good captains have there been over the years ? Be interested in the times when some of the younger ones here wouldn't of been following the club.

Comments

• Peter Shirtliff is in the Simon Webster category, again he captained a side containing few talented players, were playing at Selhurst and were always favourites for relegation.
  • edited December 2006
    Keith Peacock did a reasonable job in the Nelson era (Andy not Garry).

He seemed to encourage the comparative but limited youngsters like Berry, Dave Campbell (the first) and Peter Shaw whilst gaining and retaining the respect of senior pros like Killer, Flanagan, Powell and Warman.

Had we not sold Killer to Derby when we did we would have got promoted I reckon. We scored goals for fun then (and let them in!).
  • who were the main captains in the 70s ?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]who were the main captains in the 70s ?

God bloody JCLs....
  • Dave Young and Keith Peacock I'd say
  • A bit earlier was it Curtis or Kinsey?
  • edited December 2006
    Both

Curtis after Kinsey if I remember rightly.