Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any cyclists on here?..

Comments

• Options
    No No No No...and erm No.
    Just cycling shorts.  Bib shorts all the way with chamois cream :-)
  • Options
    They'll still get the VAT back Clem - so the taxpayer would be helping to pay for yours too. That's right, isn't it razil?
    ;o)
    not sure, I'm no accountant.. but as I've said a 'zillion' times there are many many ways which we as taxpayers subsidize others, this seems to be one of the less harmful but more obvious ones. Others include propping up the car industry recently, oversubsidising controversial onshore wind farms, etc
  • Options
    They'll still get the VAT back Clem - so the taxpayer would be helping to pay for yours too. That's right, isn't it razil?
    ;o)
    not sure, I'm no accountant.. but as I've said a 'zillion' times there are many many ways which we as taxpayers subsidize others, this seems to be one of the less harmful but more obvious ones. Others include propping up the car industry recently, oversubsidising controversial onshore wind farms, etc
    Let's not forget propping up the banks!
  • Options

Not sure if I am a serious cyclist but riding a road bike and wearing lycra, I can say I do wear pants, for the same reasons I wear them with normal trousers - I presume there is some benefit to not wearing them but not one I know of. I recall when doing LEJOG one of our number went commando so to speak, one of the results was a rather unsightly view of his downstairs hairs poking through..

• Options
    I think they should fine more cyclists for running red lights. That would subsidise the scheme in a much fairer way.
  • Options

Not sure if I am a serious cyclist but riding a road bike and wearing lycra, I can say I do wear pants, for the same reasons I wear them with normal trousers - I presume there is some benefit to not wearing them but not one I know of. I recall when doing LEJOG one of our number went commando so to speak, one of the results was a rather unsightly view of his downstairs hairs poking through..

Obviously down to personal preference but with wearing underwear under your lycra shorts, you're asking to get saddle sores.  Quality cycle shorts dont have any seams to rub you in the tender places. On a short ride you'll probably get away with wearing underwear but I'd suggest on a longer ride, in warm weather, you could suffere the consequences.

Yes, hair is an issue.  There's a simple solution to that though...
    I think they should fine more cyclists for running red lights. That would subsidise the scheme in a much fairer way.
    Absolutely agree with that.  I absolutely hate it when I see cyclists go through red lights or going up on the pavement just to get around the lights.  Some bloke had a minute head start of me last night on my way to my cycle club meeting after he went through a set of reds...just made me put the hammer down, catch him and give him a volley of abuse further up the road.
  • Options
    I regularly abuse cyclists who flagrantly do this when on my bike, it gives us all a bad name. 

At the same time let's fine motorbikes who cut me up in the cycle lane, and all motorists who sit in the bit just before the lights clearly marked for cycles - I have to admit to sitting ahead of the stop line sometimes but this is largely due to the aforementioned. 

Have never had saddle sores, although longest ride in single day is probably 80 miles (on LEJOG ride)
  • Options
    Not allowed to fine motorists for their indiscretions razil - Len doesn't like it!
    ;o)
  • Options
    I regularly abuse cyclists who flagrantly do this when on my bike, it gives us all a bad name. 

At the same time let's fine motorbikes who cut me up in the cycle lane, and all motorists who sit in the bit just before the lights clearly marked for cycles - I have to admit to sitting ahead of the stop line sometimes but this is largely due to the aforementioned. 

Have never had saddle sores, although longest ride in single day is probably 80 miles (on LEJOG ride)
    I'd rather stop just ahead of the stop line in the Primary position at the lights to stop anyone turning left across me.
  • Options

Underwear with your cycling shorts - don't do it...

I bought my first bike through cycle to work and didn't have to pay anything at the end - just got a letter saying it's mine...

Off to Geneva on Saturday for a week cycling over the Southern Alps to Antibes (arrive Friday) - it's bloomin snowing up there and I'm not happy..but consider myself lucky to be doing it at all after being wiped out by car at the beginning of March

If you're struggling with cleats, get speedplay pedals - double sided cleats - very easy to use...

Ride safe!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck with the ride CC

not sure how you deal with snow though

:)
  • Options
    I should add I once rode behind some beast of a bloke who's short were pretty much see through, not a pretty sight I can tell you..
  • Options
    Have fun CC, look forward to finally going out for a ride with you soon once you get back :-)
  • Options
    think someone has posted a link but couldn't find it, looking for rides to in welling area, its for the missus so easier the better..

would be much appreciated

R
  • Options
    Woolwich Cycle Club do a ladies ride from Old Bexley I think.

Check out their site.

On a cycling tip, I went to the Smithfield Nocturne last night. Cracking night with a beer or 10 taken....
  • Options
    Razil, my cycling club ride out from Eltham Park every Sunday morning and I live in Welling.  All the rides are classified in order of difficulty etc.  It doesnt take anyone long to get up to the longer more hilly distances.

Check out http://www.limitededitioncycling.co.uk

They are starting a women's only evening course soon, think it is a Monday evening.
  • Options
    ta
  • Options

I wouldnt consider myself a cyclist but have been roped into doing the London to Brighton on Sunday.

Not liking the look of the hill at the end.

• Options

I wouldnt consider myself a cyclist but have been roped into doing the London to Brighton on Sunday.

Most people walk the hill.

London to Brighton is so busy that you struggle to get any sort of speed up. You'll breeze it.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    just whack it on the granny ring, its not a problem if you take it slow - main problem as Clem alludes to is muppets getting in the way

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Best advice I can give is leave as early as you possibly can...and when I say early, I mean before 7am.
    If you leave any later, you really do run the risk of running into those who cant cope with the minor slopes on the route, let alone the climb at the end.

Just keep yourself hydrated and eat little but often along the course and you'll be fine.

(I understand from one of my Southend-based club mates that there arent many hills over that way to practice on!)
  • Options
    i'm on the mountain bike pretty much every day - invested in a Garmin Foreruuner 410 - best bit of kit i've ever bought!

biggest problem in these parts is the bears, friend of mine nearly met her maker last night when she flew round a corner on a mountain trail & straight into Mother Grizzly & her cubs, bluff charged but thankfully only a bluff - the bears certainly add some excitement to your ride!
  • Options

Best advice I can give is leave as early as you possibly can...and when I say early, I mean before 7am.
    If you leave any later, you really do run the risk of running into those who cant cope with the minor slopes on the route, let alone the climb at the end.

Just keep yourself hydrated and eat little but often along the course and you'll be fine.

(I understand from one of my Southend-based club mates that there arent many hills over that way to practice on!)
    i did a 250km charity ride lasy year, straight from the start line you hit a moderate hill & there were already people off & pushing - was very hard work at this altitude but i loved the whole experience! After a cushy 90kms on day one, the last 35kms to camp was basically up the side of a mountain - was a bit challenging to say the least.
  • Options
    Peeps, I've decided to sell my Specialized Rockhopper Pro if anyone on here is interested.

Its the 2009 model, 19" frame so would suit a person around 5'9 - 6'1.
    Has only done about 800 miles on it due to me spending all my time on my road bike this year and the bike has been well looked after.

Will also throw in my mini-pump, saddle bag, front light and a child seat which cost £100 brand new.

I've got it up on Gumtree for £650 ono.  Send me a PM if you're interested or would know anyone else who might be.

Only reason I'm selling is I want to buy a new road bike.

• Options
    Just back from a week cycling over the Alps from Geneva to Antibes - bloomin excellent fun, if a little bit tough in places (Colombiere, Telegraphe, Galibier, Izoard, Vars to name a few places..)..

We've got a blog here which has details on previous rides plus a brief write up of the first two days of this year's trip, rest to be added...there's also some pictures which - to me - highlight that no matter how fit you are, once you're over 40 you really shouldn't wear lycra...

http://lesveloistesgentils.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Just wondering if any cyclist on here would like my old (broken) 2007 Cannondale Six 105 Compact for spare parts. No money wanted.

Top tube cracked from a crash, so frame knackered, but all else in good order. I've replaced the bike with a Wilier Izoard with Campag bits (the Six has Shimano), and am too disorganised to keep and store the bits that I might want. It would need collecting from Tooley Street.

Cheers  JVL

• Options
    Ignore last offer! Apparently carbon frames can be repaired, much to my astonishment, so I'm doing that instead. 
  • Options
    Just bought myself my first bike in about 30 years. Only got it because my son wanted a new bike for his birthday and keeps on at me to get one so we can go out together.........and the fact that since giving up the fags, I've put on 3 stone.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I thought I'd give this thread a bump as it hasnt seen the light of day for almost 5 months.

Anyone got any big rides planned for this year? On the jubilee weekend, I'm riding London to Paris. Cant wait, its going to be a great experience. I managed to fit in a couple of century rides last year but doing 4 back to back in 4 consecutive days is going to be a huge challenge.

If anyone is keen to start cycling regularly, can I point you in the direction of my cycling club, Limited Edition Cycling - check out www.limitededitioncycling.co.uk. We ride out of Eltham Park every Sunday morning at 9.30am. We've also got beginner level rides on a Saturday afternoon for those that want to start cycling but maybe lacking a little confidence on the roads.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Much safer abroad JohnBoy. My brother goes away a few times a year with his club/mates.

Are you doing the ride for charity?

http://bikeitalia.co.uk/