Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any cyclists on here?..

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Ken.......see post 143.

All you will ever need. ;-)

Google the bike for an image. How tall are you?.

Looks an excellent choice to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Good choice Clem. Did you go for a double, compact or a triple?

I'd keep hold of your Marin, especially if you fancied doing any off road stuff.
    Although I love my road bike to bits and prefer being a lycra-clad roadie than being a mtb'er in 3/4 length baggies, I'd never sell my MTB as I love doing some off-road stuff too. If you get a chance, locally, the Thames Path from Woolwich all the way up to Greenhithe is a good route to do in the Summer.

Got a double. When I looked at the chain ring sizes and compared them to the hyrbrid they were very close. I never used the smallest ring on the crank anyway so decided to save the money and additional maintenance.

I binned the pedals before I left the shop as the originals were hopeless and am going to change the saddle - it is like a razor blade!. Knew it would be an issue from the reviews I had read. If anyone can recommend a saddle that doesn't feel like it is sawing you in half but still looks sporty I would appreciate it.

Only ever used the Marin for commuting so it will have to go....wife's orders!

what was wrong with the pedals?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Good choice Clem. Did you go for a double, compact or a triple?

I'd keep hold of your Marin, especially if you fancied doing any off road stuff.
    Although I love my road bike to bits and prefer being a lycra-clad roadie than being a mtb'er in 3/4 length baggies, I'd never sell my MTB as I love doing some off-road stuff too. If you get a chance, locally, the Thames Path from Woolwich all the way up to Greenhithe is a good route to do in the Summer.[/quote]

Got a double. When I looked at the chain ring sizes and compared them to the hyrbrid they were very close. I never used the smallest ring on the crank anyway so decided to save the money and additional maintenance.

I binned the pedals before I left the shop as the originals were hopeless and am going to change the saddle - it is like a razor blade!. Knew it would be an issue from the reviews I had read. If anyone can recommend a saddle that doesn't feel like it is sawing you in half but still looks sporty I would appreciate it.

Only ever used the Marin for commuting so it will have to go....wife's orders![/quote]

what was wrong with the pedals?[/quote]

Half plastic, half alloy. Flexing under any sort of pressure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Ken.......see post 143.

All you will ever need. ;-)

Google the bike for an image. How tall are you?.

Looks an excellent choice to me.

I could of course approach my cousin in America.....

I am told he makes a decent bike..........
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/news/specialized-founder-mike-sinyard-enjoys-sponsoring-contador-and-schleck_131402

Wonder if he can help out his 'cuz' as he calls me.......
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Good choice Clem. Did you go for a double, compact or a triple?

Although I love my road bike to bits and prefer being a lycra-clad roadie than being a mtb'er in 3/4 length baggies, I'd never sell my MTB as I love doing some off-road stuff too. If you get a chance, locally, the Thames Path from Woolwich all the way up to Greenhithe is a good route to do in the Summer.

Only ever used the Marin for commuting so it will have to go....wife's orders!

what was wrong with the pedals?

Half plastic, half alloy. Flexing under any sort of pressure.

Oh so are they half flat, half cleats? I had similar on my Rockhopper MTB when I first got it but have got Shimano double-sided SPD pedals on both bikes now. Couldnt ride any bike without cleats now, gives you so much more control, power and of course makes the pedal stroke a lot more efficient.

Clem, I've not changed the saddle yet but I find it ever so comfortable, even for rides in excess of 50 miles. As long as you wear padded shorts (bib shorts are worth the extra cost, so much more comfy), should be ok. Your harris quickly gets used to it. But if you are really desperate to change it, the Charge Spoon saddle is highly recommended by the roadies over at Bike Radar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: iainment[/cite]Go to your local bike shop and talk to them, tell them your price range, what you want the bike for and ask for test rides. If they're any good they'll let you do that. Don't go to Halfords unless you know exactly what you want and you are prepared to adjust it and put things right after sale yourself.
    You probably would be best suited with a hybrid and all the major brands do good ones.
    But be beware if the bug bites, you'll spend a lot of money in the months and years ahead on newer better stuff.

+1. The Boardman range of bikes have excellent spec but just a shame the only place you can buy them is Halfords. Their service full stop is bloody awful.
  • Options
    I must need my head read but after persuasion from the guys at the cycling club, I've been persuaded to enter the Wiggle New Forest Spring Sportive. Doing the epic route, 83 miles. WTF? I done the London to Southend BHF ride a couple of years ago but that was only 50-something miles... Have done 5 or 6 40 milers in the last couple of months but 83 miles is going to be a challenge. Anyone else doing it or got anything similar planned in the next few months?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]BTW earlier on in this thread I cautioned against getting involved with the Cycle2Work scheme thing.

Just to make you aware, my own employer has recently been contacted by HMRC who have stated categorically that if the bike is sold at the end of thehireperiod then it shall be at the fair market value and not a penny less or it will be seen and taxed as a benefit in kind. In their estimation this will be around 30% of the initial cost of the bike.

It would seem that HMRC have cottoned on to how employers are advertising the scheme (i.e. as a cheap way of buying a bike) and are clamping down hard.

I understand you can pay the 12 installments in a year, but have the scheme run up to 5 years, by which time the value has become nominal

there are a few websites that explain this better than I can

R
  • Options
    Just heard that Contador's been cleared. Utter bullshit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]BTW earlier on in this thread I cautioned against getting involved with the Cycle2Work scheme thing.

Just to make you aware, my own employer has recently been contacted by HMRC who have stated categorically that if the bike is sold at the end of thehireperiod then it shall be at the fair market value and not a penny less or it will be seen and taxed as a benefit in kind. In their estimation this will be around 30% of the initial cost of the bike.

It would seem that HMRC have cottoned on to how employers are advertising the scheme (i.e. as a cheap way of buying a bike) and are clamping down hard.

I understand you can pay the 12 installments in a year, but have the scheme run up to 5 years, by which time the value has become nominal

there are a few websites that explain this better than I can

R

...and I would bet my mortgage that those agreements are illegal hire agreements under the Consumer Credit Act, are not worth the paper they're written on legally and are designed to evade the tax that's rightly due.

FWIW there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that there's widespread tax evasion (not avoidance) going on under this stupid scheme. It might only be a couple of hundred quid a time or whatever but in the current climate the treasury should be collecting every penny they can and as a taxpayer I don't see why I should subsidise someone elses hobby, which is clearly not what the scheme was intended to be. I know this isn't a popular view but imagine if I went to every cyclist who's "purchased" a bike this way and asked them to pay my road tax for the year in return?

There's number of ways this is coming to a head eventually IMO but my guess is that eventually HMRC will do their sums and realise it's now worth collecting the revenue due (bearing in mind it's not going to reflect well on the gov't who set the scheme up) or, and more likely IMO, someone will pursue a claim for a serious injury or fatality due to the supply of an unsafe cycle by their employer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've joined the CL cycling club - bought my first bike (Trek 7.2 hybrid) a month back after borrowing a neighbour's mountain bike for a few months.

Absolutely loving it - not commuting on it at the moment and pretty wary of main roads but just getting out and about locally's been really enjoyable. I've been seeing a lot more of the riverside path lately... and funnily enough, one of the most satisfying streets to ride down is Floyd Road/Harvey Gardens - usually quiet, and easy to build up a nice bit of speed!

What sold it for me was doing Charlton-Eynsford on a crisp, cold day - thought it would be a struggle, turned out to be really easy. Looking forward to a spring and summer of exploring on the bike.
  • Options
    Honestly, you lot.

Get a bus!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I've joined the CL cycling club - bought my first bike (Trek 7.2 hybrid) a month back after borrowing a neighbour's mountain bike for a few months.

Absolutely loving it - not commuting on it at the moment and pretty wary of main roads but just getting out and about locally's been really enjoyable. I've been seeing a lot more of the riverside path lately... and funnily enough, one of the most satisfying streets to ride down is Floyd Road/Harvey Gardens - usually quiet, and easy to build up a nice bit of speed!

What sold it for me was doing Charlton-Eynsford on a crisp, cold day - thought it would be a struggle, turned out to be really easy. Looking forward to a spring and summer of exploring on the bike.

What sort of mileage did that work out? Was going to ride out to Eynsford yesterday but the weather put me off. Was it a round trip or back on the train?
  • Options
    I'm hoping to do London to Monaco in April 2012 with another Charlton mate. Looking to raise money for Demelza. I haven't been on a bike for a long time and will involve a lot of training and planning.
    Its a long way off yet but hoping Charlton can do something to gain sponsorship for this. Hoping that we can raise a few quid through Manchester United aswell as my mates cousin is currently in the U18/Reserves at United and I know his mentor is Rio. So fingers crossed we can get on our bikes and raise some serious cash.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]I've joined the CL cycling club - bought my first bike (Trek 7.2 hybrid) a month back after borrowing a neighbour's mountain bike for a few months.

What sort of mileage did that work out? Was going to ride out to Eynsford yesterday but the weather put me off. Was it a round trip or back on the train?

Round trip - 29 miles. Out via Eltham Park, Sidcup and Swanley, back via Crockenhill, St Mary Cray, the cycle path next to the A20 and Footscray Road.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well for those who haven't got my facebook, and offered advice etc, many thanks

I got a trek madone 4.5 using ride to work scheme so effectively half price.

haven't had a 'racer' since I was about 10 - bmx and mtn bikes since - so was pretty much a newbie

love it so far, and that was just one ride back from the shop near my office, which scared the crap out of me til i got used to cleats and shoes, nearly fell over once but just got foot out in time

:D
  • Options
    I'm doing the Tour of Flanders sportive next month......
  • Options
    link?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]well I got a trek madone 4.5 using ride to work scheme so effectively half price...

Not your fault of course as it was no doubt falsely marketed by the scheme organisers and/or your employer as a means to purchase a bike that has been heavily subsidised by the tax payers (and that may turn out to be true if HMR&C continue to turn a blind eye, which I still doubt) but I rest my case about tax evasion! I completely understand why you, as an individual, have gone ahead on this basis but that's money that should not be used for this purpose in the current climate in particular IMO. Would people tolerate this is if were a fiddle used to subsidise some other hobby or pastime? I'd like to get the tax payer to chip in towards my next massive tele' but it wouldn't happen would it?

It's NOT your bike and may never be.
  • Options
    http://sport.be.msn.com/cyclingtour/rondevanvlaanderen/2011/eng/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i love cl cos there's always someone ready to piss on your parade. :)
  • Options
    Good stuff Falconwood...

I was knocked from my bike last Monday and can just about walk now - being wheeled into X-ray in a neck brace and told not to move cos they think your neck might be broken is not a great thing to happen on a Monday morning... Fortunately nothing broken and I live to ride another day...once I have bought a new bike.. Woman, travelling in the same direction, went right into the back of me at about 30mph...said she didn't see me... Clear, bright blue day, nothing on the road, cycling along happily...she must have been on her phone or something.. Only good thing is she copped to it right away (she had no choice, there were witnesses), so am now battling with her insurance company who tell me that I won't get the full value of my bike (just shy of £4k) due to wear and tear, which is utter shit...

Anyway...ride safe everyone, it's still the best way to get about!
  • Options
    A nice route from Whitstable to Canterbury.
    Crab and Winkle Way
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]well I got a trek madone 4.5 using ride to work scheme so effectively half price...

Not your fault of course as it was no doubt falsely marketed by the scheme organisers and/or your employer as a means topurchasea bike that has been heavily subsidised by the tax payers (and thatmayturn out to be true if HMR&C continue to turn a blind eye, which I still doubt) but I rest my case about tax evasion! I completely understand why you, as an individual, have gone ahead on this basis but that's money that should not be used for this purpose in the current climate in particular IMO. Would people tolerate this is if were a fiddle used to subsidise some other hobby or pastime? I'd like to get the tax payer to chip in towards my next massive tele' but it wouldn't happen would it?

It's NOT your bike and may never be.

Disagree.
    Firstly, you are correct that you haven't bought the bike outright, but the purchase price at the end is a % of current 2nd hand value. However in my experience the cost is little and so isn't really being falsely marketed as there are still savings and your fully informed of everything before you sign up. Infact if you think it's falsely marketed and there isn't any real savings longterm then that means the arguement of being "heavily subsidised" by other tax payers can't be true as it's paid up in the long run.

The ride to work scheme isn't about hobbies or as simple as wanting a new shiny toy like a telly. It can be easily argued that the subsidy does infact benifit everyone including other road users.

There are many many people (and I mean in the hundreds) in my work who have got bikes through the scheme and use it for work. The majority of those do own cars and therefore pay their Road tax, petrol tax, insurance like everyone else and so pay their dues to road travel. Without the subsidy human nature would mean the majority wouldn't bother buying as bike and cycling. It's like a sale in shops, you end up buying things you weren't going to get because it's cheaper, therefore you spend money you weren't going to so it isn't actually cheaper!

Without the bike most did/would drive to work and and i'm sure this scenaria is repliacted throughout all workplaces. This means there are less vehicles on the roads especially at rush hours, and less damage being caused to the roads from usage so us saving a bit of money on a bike saves you time on the road and repair costs for everyone as our crap roads last that little bit longer. When your next sat in traffic at rush hour count the commuting cyclists and exchange the vast majority of the number for extra cars sat infront of you and extra weight stress on the tarmac.

More people are buying bikes which means cycle shops and bike companies make more money and so pay more tax back to the government and maybe employ more people, who then buy things, pay tax......etc, etc.

My Road tax is in a higher bracket of £260 a year, yet i don't use the roads regularly. So effectiveley i'm paying more road tax than most to maintain the roads for other cars to use more; I don't have a problem with that.

In the ideal world with things run properly, schemes like this can save money for everyone overall. In the real world with things being run badly it will cost a little more but not significantly and even then things being better doesn't usually equate to not spending money.
    Either way i think it's an excellent scheme with far more pluses than negatives for everyone. People just have to think of a bigger picture than i'm paying for someone to have a better toy which isn't the case.
  • Options
    Thought this thread could do with a bump.

Have chalked up a couple more achievements since the last thread.

Completed my first ever sportive.  Was a relatively flat course around the New Forest with a few cheeky hills thrown in (including a 25% gradient) and chalked up a PB on 85 miles.
    Complete my first ever century ride two weeks ago.  Done the Sidcup Cycles ride down to Whistable and then cycled back as far as Gillingham to pass the 100 miles.
    In the process of doing the century, I also passed 2,000 miles for the year on two wheels.

Am still the lighter side of 15st since starting the year at 16st 11lbs.

I know Charlton Charlie is off on his annual mountain sufferfest soon.  Anyone else got any rides planned?

Oh and if anyone is interested in joining a cycling club in the Greenwich or Bexley area, google Limited Edition Cycling.  The club has only been running since November but its a great bunch of people.  We meet every Sunday morning at Eltham Park by the tea hut, doing rides of various difficulties.  The rides are all listed on the website.
  • Options
    I cycle from New Eltham to the Old Kent Road. N.E. ----> Yorkshire Grey ----> Lee High Road ----> Lewisham ----> New Cross ----> O.K.R = 35mins door to door. Luv-er-lee! [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]cyclists feckin menace's on the road.[/quote] I quite agree. [b]Some[/b] are a menace. Bit crap to generalise though NSS, don't you think? I stop at all red lights, and make sure I use the road as the rules that govern them for cars also apply to cyclists. Until you have driven a car [b][i]and[/i][/b] rode a bike in London, I think it's a bit hard to comment. It's certainly an eye-opener getting on a bike after spending years in the comfort of a metal cocoon. Some drivers out there are a complete nightmare, but generally, I find most very good.
    yeah, but which end of the O K Road?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]well I got a trek madone 4.5 using ride to work scheme so effectively half price...[/quote]

Not your fault of course as it was no doubt falsely marketed by the scheme organisers and/or your employer as a means to[i]purchase[/i]a bike that has been heavily subsidised by the tax payers [/url][/quote]

Disagree.
    Firstly, you are correct that you haven't bought the bike outright, but the purchase price at the end is a % of current 2nd hand value. However in my experience the cost is little.... Either way i think it's an excellent scheme with far more pluses than negatives for everyone. 
    I wouldn't say it is a heavy subsidy, nor is the cost particularly low at the end of the hire period. I just copped a bill for £250 for the £1k bike I 'bought' last year. And that is in line with the government directives (I checked). The financially much better alternative is to extend the hire agreement for another 3 years (for a non-returnable deposit of £70) but I'll still have around £70 to pay at the end of that. Still may be a good scheme, however given the limited range of shops where you can use it, and the way some shops won't let you use it to buy bikes that are in sales, you may be better just shopping around for 12 month interest free deals instead.  
  • Options
    agree re extending the scheme, mine was  bought on a 5 year scheme I think so final payment nominally zero

re subsidies, if you use public transport and the health service, and no doubt many other things? All subsidised by the tax payer, and more so by higher rate tax payers which I've been most of my working life.

:P

• Options
    TFL
  • Options
    accrington stanley