Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who has been a mascot?

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Whats changed from the oldun days? I remember going to see my cousin be a mascot at upton park and the put a big welcome to our family on the announcer thing going across the side of the building. I think i was about 10.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=33131

Anyone else been one? or had kids that have been one? not sure this has been done before, although it may have been mentioned don't think it had a dedicated thread?

Comments

• northstandjoe is going to be mascot at norwich away 20 dec
  • edited October 2008
    I'd take a guess that Mascot88 has been : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]northstandjoe is going to be mascot at norwich away 20 dec

how come you're doing it away and not at home?
  • I was at Cambridge, years ago
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I was at Cambridge, years ago

Thought we were talking mascots, rather than universities? Which college? ;-)
  • the truth weegie,cost,i think the prices charlton charge are a joke.You are one of what 4 or 5 mascot's how special does that feel.At norwich he is going to mascot with his cousin just the 2 of them,it will be their special day it wont cost me £200 in fact i just need to purchase our match tickets.He gets a stadium tour and a chance to meet the players.That is unless he is banned because his Dad sometimes speaks his mind too much,which might happen if board members read this.I hope they don't and I am being serious now,i have thought that i might get a letter in the post saying the offer has been withdrawn ;-(
  • Could never afford it when I was a kid to be honest. Ive asked my boys over the years and although they love Charlton, they all seemed to be a bit shy about doing it...just like there Dad ;-)
  • My youngest son Piers was a mascot on Boxing Day 1987 v Portsmouth at Selhurst Park (we got a crowd of 6,000 - on Boxing Day !!!)

In those days it didn't cost anything to be a mascot (apart from ensuring he had the full kit). The name was picked out of a hat every week from the Junior Reds membership list.

Anyway, in early Dec I got a phone call from Jackie Monahan saying: ''I see Piers's birthday is on Christmas Day, poor little mite. We're not really supposed to fix the ballot like this, but given the circs, would he like to be the mascot on Boxing Day?''

We didn't tell him but wrapped up a new set of kit in Xmas paper and placed inside the shirt the letter asking him to be the mascot - so the first he knew was when he opened it on Xmas morning. He was quite overwhelmed.

Lovely behaviour by the club and the sort of thing that helped to give CAFC its reputation as a real 'family' club...

Best of all was he was a very lucky mascot : Andy Jones, whom he'd named in the match prog as his fave player, scored after 19 seconds and we won 2-1.
  • edited October 2008
    my niece and nephew were mascots for the legendary sha la la la la la la la la we sent the palace down game
    along with about another 6 kids i think.....
  • I was chosen as a mascot from the junior reds list against Nottingham Forest in 1988/89 season at Selhurst Park. We lost 1-0 and Steve Gritt was captain (Peter Shirtliff must have been injured or suspended). Can't really remember much else about the day to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]the truth weegie,cost,i think the prices charlton charge are a joke.You are one of what 4 or 5 mascot's how special does that feel.At norwich he is going to mascot with his cousin just the 2 of them,it will be their special day it wont cost me £200 in fact i just need to purchase our match tickets.He gets a stadium tour and a chance to meet the players.That is unless he is banned because his Dad sometimes speaks his mind too much,which might happen if board members read this.I hope they don't and I am being serious now,i have thought that i might get a letter in the post saying the offer has been withdrawn ;-(

After what he went through in the Lib mate he bloody deserves it. I hope he has a cracking day.
  • he is scared stiff now when sheff weds fans were in there and started singin he crapped himself it was heartbreakin
  • It'll take time mate but he'll come good. Hopefully the mascot day will go some of the way to restoring his confidence
  • I was mascot twice as follows:

Wrexham (H) - 8 Sep 1979 (Charlton lost 2-1)
    QPR (H) - 31 Oct 1981 (Charlton lost 2-1)

Not surprisingly I wasn't invited back again, although it was free in those days. Both Charlton captains (Leighton Philips and Lawrie Madden) were charm personified if I recall correctly.
  • edited October 2008
    Both my boys were in a night game at home to Watford around 1995.

Keith Jones was our skipper and Andy Hessenthaler*** was their's.

We won 2-1 after being 0-1 down at half time. Bowyer and Leaburn scored for us.

*** just looked this up and he's not in down in the team but bloody sure it's him in the photo???

edit...... just checked the photo and it's not him. (not ugly enough)
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Whats changed from the oldun days?

About 250 quid.........

My niece was mascot for the Swansea game, and her mother was the first ever female mascot at The Valley, against Oldham in 1982.
  • What makes me laugh is the new deal CAFC have come up wtih for upcoming games. they have said great new deal £150 save £100 you get eveything as before except the match tickets. LOL How generous.

250 is way too expensive IMO
  • I was, for Welling, for my 8th birthday.

You got a McDonalds afterwards because of some sponsorship thing, a big red McDonalds holdall thrown in as wel!
  • edited October 2008
    er... yeah i was a mascot charlton millwall 1989 (got my years mixed up) ...

1-1 .... bob bolder captain and i think polo scored for us......

bloody loved it...

knocked one pass bob in the warm up ... in the dressing room met all the guys, little bit star struck...

just me as mscot no one else in those days... birthday present..

loved it
  • [cite]Anyone else been one?

I haven't been one but I live in hope....

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]My youngest son Piers was a mascot on Boxing Day 1987 v Portsmouth at Selhurst Park (we got a crowd of 6,000 - on Boxing Day !!!)

In those days it didn't cost anything to be a mascot (apart from ensuring he had the full kit). The name was picked out of a hat every week from the Junior Reds membership list.

Anyway, in early Dec I got a phone call from Jackie Monahan saying: ''I see Piers's birthday is on Christmas Day, poor little mite. We're not really supposed to fix the ballot like this, but given the circs, would he like to be the mascot on Boxing Day?''

We didn't tell him but wrapped up a new set of kit in Xmas paper and placed inside the shirt the letter asking him to be the mascot - so the first he knew was when he opened it on Xmas morning. He was quite overwhelmed.

Lovely behaviour by the club and the sort of thing that helped to give CAFC its reputation as a real 'family' club...

Best of all was he was a very lucky mascot : Andy Jones, whom he'd named in the match prog as his fave player, scored after 19 seconds and we won 2-1.

That's a really great story. Apart from one thing. Why would you call your son "Piers"???

Anyway,everyone knows that AFKA is our mascot. One day he'll be allowed to play with the big lads.
  • edited October 2008
    Off It wrote: That's a really great story. Apart from one thing. Why would you call your son "Piers"???

Sorry, haven't worked out to how to do this clever quote thing properly...

there is a very good answer actually, Off It. My wife is French and wanted to call him Pierre. I wasn't having that. She wasn't having Peter. And so 'Piers' was the compromise, poor little sod...

He's now a big sod of 29 and is coming with me to the match tomorrow. And guess what? I'm still paying for his ticket!

Next you'll want to know why I married a French woman. Now there's a story...

ps : do you reckon I can smuggle Piers in under the 'kids for a quid' deal tomorrow?
  • I was against Brighton at Upton Park.

We won two-nil, Nelson and Walsh i think.

Not sue what year, 1990-91???
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Anyone else been one?[/cite]
    [cite]

:)[/cite]

I think we should all chip in an make Derek's dream come true
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]I haven't been one but I live in hope....

Awww, I'm touched.

:)
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]

Did you know that Danny was asked to be the mascot for the whole season in the early 60s and said no.

You can remind him on Saturday : - )
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]

Would be so funny. I'm in.
  • Has a mascot ever injured a player pre-match?!

£250 is disgraceful, especially for a family club that does a lot of community work.
  • ][cite]Posted By: Henry[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted by Suzi[/cite]Anyone else been one?
    [cite]

Would be so funny. I'm in.
    How about 'manager mascot'? My record at the Valley is only a little worse than AP :)
  • [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]I was against Brighton at Upton Park.

We won two-nil, Nelson and Walsh i think.

Not sue what year, 1990-91???

1991 my 21st birthday
  • hahah... god i read that steve that you were a mascot on your 21st birthday and i was about to call you the saddest man of them all!