Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Work advice

People in my department are slowly getting dragged in, and the main theme seems to be work having a go for the emails the team is sending.

Now, hands up, we send too many, messing around etc. So sheer volumes, I know they know, fair enough etc.

But what I'm not sure, should they be looking what we're sending? Does that not break any privacy laws etc.

Comments

• If you're sending stuff on the company's system, it's effectively the company's property - they can do what they like with it.

I'm sure you'll find the IT policy that is in place says you can send some personal emails, but basically don't take the piss & send 1000s per day.
  • They can check, if they have told you they monitor that sort of stuff.

If they havnt made it VERY clear, then no, thet can't.
  • So long as you're not sending anything dodgy it'll probably just be a slap on the wrists and a "get on with your work" speech.
  • If it's a company email address then they own it and have every legal right to read it. That will be in your company handbook under the chapter on IT acceptable use policy.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]So long as you're not sending anything dodgy it'll probably just be a slap on the wrists and a "get on with your work" speech.

Yeah, think it will be, possibly slightly stronger than most as I a) book pitches etc via it for my Sunday League team, and b) Have asked my girlfriend to apply for a couple of jobs for me (we have web filters meaning I can't do it, she can)!!

So they've got a point, but they're so bloddy autocratic and moany about absolutely everything that you want to have a go back when you get the chance!
  • Nope. You're using their computers and programs so they own everything you put onto them.
    They have the right to look at everything you do on their computer same as you have the right to look at anything anyone puts on your personal computer.
  • Thought that was probably the case.

All in all, I do a good job, so it just annoys me knowing I'm going in basically to get scolded like a child, whereas the quiet, useless, lazy people lacking in any kind of personality will get nothing of the sort.

Blimey, I'm in a bad mood and it's only Monday!!
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]So they've got a point, but they're so bloddy autocratic and moany about absolutely everything that you want to have a go back when you get the chance!

I'm sorry mate, I don't have much sympathy I'm afraid. Presumably these thousands of e mails are being sent during work time? Why should they not crack down, you are supposed to be there to work after all?

As for reading them well yes they have a total right given that you are effectively stealing the companies resources for your own private purposes.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]If it's a company email address then they own it and have every legal right to read it. That will be in your company handbook under the chapter on IT acceptable use policy.

Honestly this isnt true at all. Privacy laws state they have to make it clear they can't do it.

Same they can monitor internet access as a whole, but not an individuals, unless it's made clear to you, having it in a handbook is NOT making it clear.
  • Hmmm. At our small company, our employees are made to sign the handbook, thus indicating acknowledgement of the policies, rules and regs.
  • Sponsored links:

• 100% yes they can. It counts as improper use of company equipment.
  • [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]All in all, I do a good job, so it just annoys me knowing I'm going in basically to get scolded like a child, whereas the quiet, useless, lazy people lacking in any kind of personality will get nothing of the sort.

That being the case, no doubt any rebuke they give you will be tempered by their knowledge of your worth to the company.

My first job after leaving school, was in Re-insurance in the city. I worked in a team, many of whom were school leavers/ first jobbers and the office was ruled quite strictly and, although open plan, chatting was frowned upon.

I am sure it will not be a shock to know that I am quite a gregarious individual. I was always getting bollocked for talking. On the other hand I worked extremely hard and effectively and I felt, much like you, that I was being treated like others who were pretty poor at their job. Eventually due to my efforts, my company recovered £500,000 worth of premium they were owed going back over a five year period. My boss, in a rare moment of weakness, conceded that nobody else in his team could/would have sort it out and pretty much acknowledged that I had value which out weighed my weak side. I was pretty made up by this. The following day though it didn't stop him bollocking me again for talking. C'est la guerre!!
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]So they've got a point, but they're so bloddy autocratic and moany about absolutely everything that you want to have a go back when you get the chance!

I'm sorry mate, I don't have much sympathy I'm afraid. Presumably these thousands of e mails are being sent during work time? Why should they not crack down, you are supposed to be there to work after all?

As for reading them well yes they have a total right given that you are effectively stealing the companies resources for your own private purposes.

I don't send 1000s, I think maybe you got that from F-Blockers "as long as it's not" 1000s.

I'd say apart from one or two football emails a week, it is probably quite normal email use, just chatting about the week's football with people in other parts of the office, asking friemds who don't sit near me how their day has been etc
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]If it's a company email address then they own it and have every legal right to read it. That will be in your company handbook under the chapter on IT acceptable use policy.

Honestly this isnt true at all. Privacy laws state they have to make it clear they can't do it.

Same they can monitor internet access as a whole, but not an individuals, unless it's made clear to you, having it in a handbook is NOT making it clear.
    Not in the slightest bit true I'm afraid Stu. As an accredited CISSP who spent two years working for a government agency - and wrote their Acceptable Use Policy - I can categorically state that all they have to do is put a paragraph in the staff handbook (or whatever similarly-named piece of gumph that no-one reads which is in place in that company) to the effect that;
    "The company reserves the right to monitor IT systems in accordance with the Acceptable Use Policy". There will then be a line in the AUP that reads something like:
    "Internet access from the company's network is permitted for work-related activity. Occasional personal use of the Internet is permitted at line management discretion"
    That basically means that its their network, they set the rules on what's acceptable or not. I wouldn't be worried about the email use apart, however, from using their email system to apply for other jobs. That is, frankly, taking the piss! You might get more than a bollocking for that, if its been checked specifically.

I took our AUP to three tribunals (two for internet misuse and one for combined email AND internet misuse) and won all three of them. Trust me, people thinking they can hide behind the 'I wasn't warned I was being monitored' are wrong. If you signed something stating you have read your AUP/Staff Handbook (and if you signed a contract anywhere within the last five years you will have done so) then they have you bang to rights.
  • OK perhaps you aren't sending thousands but the point is, perhaps you shouldn't be sending any? Times are becoming harder and companies will be looking hard at all areas of cost. Maybe their system is creaky and in need of an upgrade because of the volume of personal e mails? Maybe tthey've worked out that if the average member of staff sends twenty e mails a day, that multiplied by the number of staff means that there are a significant amount of man hours wasted and they could run on less staff. Either way like I said, the more valuable you are to a business the less likely you are going to be a victim of the sack race.
  • So, is it offside then or not?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]So, is it offside then or not?
    LOL - the laws aren't clear on that...