Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA probes match-fixing allegation in Championship

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7665670.stm

The Football Association is to examine match-fixing allegations involving a Championship match sent to them by the Sunday Telegraph newspaper.

Bookmakers reportedly detected a "massive movement" in bets in Asia in an unspecified Championship match at around half-time.

As well as the FA, the Sunday Telegraph has sent a document to the Gambling Commission over the betting patterns.

"We will consider any evidence brought to our attention," said the FA

Comments

• We've surrendered a few leads at half time...;)
  • the only really dodgy performance after half time i can recall would be Blackpool away.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Norwich vs Derby are the allegations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7673347.stm

I remember the radio reporter saying that the Norwich goalkeeper made an inexplicable decision that day which led to the winning goal.

Not saying there is necessarily a connection but the reporter did say that.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Norwich vs Derby are the allegations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7673347.stm

I remember the radio reporter saying that the Norwich goalkeeper made an inexplicable decision that day which led to the winning goal.

Not saying there is necessarily a connection but the reporter did say that.

Just read the match report and you are right Len. Doesn't mean he was involved in any way but fingers will be pointed.

Derby had a player sent off as well.

Could just be bookies not wanting to pay out big on a Derby away win so making a fuss.
  • I think the clue is in the;

"Derby away win" quotation.
  • Just read the report on that game. It was 1-0 to Derby at half time at which point there was a flurry of bets. 5 minutes into the 2nd half Roy Carroll got sent off and Norwich scored a penalty. Then later on the Norwich keeper makes a terrible mistake to gift Derby a winner.
    So how do you explain that, you could point the finger at ether keeper?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Just read the report on that game. It was 1-0 to Derby at half time at which point there was a flurry of bets. 5 minutes into the 2nd half Roy Carroll got sent off and Norwich scored a penalty. Then later on the Norwich keeper makes a terrible mistake to gift Derby a winner.
    So how do you explain that, you could point the finger at ether keeper?

Good point. Maybe they were both trying to lose it like the boxing match in Porridge ; - )
  • Why bribe a keeper when you can just get a bloke doing maintenance to bugger up a fuse box. Still think Reg was up to his neck in that one :-)
  • I can see the thought process now:

"Derby won...something dodgy is going on".
  • Sponsored links:

• Can see there being a few fingers getting pointed at Carroll - especially with his betting history
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]Can see there being a few fingers getting pointed at Carroll - especially with his betting history

And the player he brought down for the pen and red card was our very own Leroy Lita.
  • edited October 2008
    Its front page news here in Carrot Land. (Not enough to make me buy the paper though)

EDP Link