Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

(2008 thread) - Everything you need to know regarding Charlton Life and this Sunday's half marathon

Comments

• Kigelia, never done anything like this before, but was amazed at the cameraderie between the runners on the way round. Everytime i was struggling there was someone there to pat you on the back and give you encouragement. Mentioned to TCE at about 12 miles i was starving, and within a second a bloke on the other side had pulled out a bag of jelly babies !

The crowd in such weather was amazing, and a real boost. Some people were almost hanging their stereos out of windows blasting music out, while one house had their stereo on a chair on their front path with an umbrella over the top !! Really did give you a big boost when you saw friends and family on the way round.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Kigelia, never done anything like this before, but was amazed at the cameraderie between the runners on the way round. Everytime i was struggling there was someone there to pat you on the back and give you encouragement. Mentioned to TCE at about 12 miles i was starving, and within a second a bloke on the other side had pulled out a bag of jelly babies !

The crowd in such weather was amazing, and a real boost. Some people were almost hanging their stereos out of windows blasting music out, while one house had their stereo on a chair on their front path with an umbrella over the top !! Really did give you a big boost when you saw friends and family on the way round.

this is what makes or breaks these events. the organisers are getting caned, and rightly so, but the spectators and the runners helped make it that much better - especially the bloke out watching with his young daughter who sheltered me with his golf umbrella whilst I stretched at about 8 miles. Certainly helped.
  • walked down to the Anchor earlier to get the car about a mile walk legs not to bad.Once again well done everyone was a great day!
  • How come i look about 15 foot tall in every picture? looks like Gullivers travels!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]How come i look about 15 foot tall in every picture? looks like Gullivers travels!!

And how come you were surrounded by women mate? Was it the Lynx effect?
  • Congratulations to everyone - sounds like the organisers deserve their caning as well, I'm a little surprised nobody fell over on that nasty turn at Charlton House when they had to squeeze through a tiny gate...
  • GHE is like the pied piper of milf !
  • Surprisingly, my legs feel ok this morning, apart from a stiff right knee which wont bend properly and some serious chaffing at the top of my right thigh (dont ever wear a new pair of shorts on race day without washing them first!)

I'd like to personally thank Albany Steve, who literally run just in front of me from Mile 5 backwards, just to keep talking to me (and obviously to try to get as many ladies telephone numbers as possible lol) and keep me going. Given the amount of pain I was in, I'm not sure I would have finished if it wasnt for him. Cheers mate.
  • Well done to everyone :)
    I ache a bit here and there but very glad I did it. Top people to run with.
    And well worth doing it for the cause.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]How come i look about 15 foot tall in every picture? looks like Gullivers travels!!

I asked GHE to help out, as I was running for "Research into Lycra" ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I couldnt get down cannon street steps this morning without yelping. and ive got cuts all round my bra area and the chaffing from the t-shirts is huge!

but apart from that... okay!
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]How come i look about 15 foot tall in every picture? looks like Gullivers travels!!

I asked GHE to help out, as I was running for "Research into Lycra" ;-)

But everytime you made me look up there was a bloody bloke in gold lycra shorts in front of me, not to mention the mankinis!!!!
  • Er glass. East Edna had a messge for you when you were leaving the pub... you know when she was trying to grope your legs. She said they were lovely and that you were Well Shaggable!!!
  • "Whatever rocks your boat mate" ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Er glass. East Edna had a messge for you when you were leaving the pub... you know when she was trying to grope your legs. She said they were lovely and that you were Well Shaggable!!!

LOL, thought i heared something along them lines, so put my head down and kept going. I think Ketters was going to go for her after another pint
  • Not feeling too bad this morning – have a couple of monster blisters on each foot which is making it a little difficult to walk but feel ok. Fell asleep at 8.30 last night as well which was nice.

Other then echoing everyone’s comments regarding how proud we are of each other and happy that we all completed the course I would like to specifically thank:

T.C.E – for organising the shirts which were instantly recognisable by the various spectators around the course.

AFKA – for his constant support in organising and getting coverage from Demelza and others in the press etc

Curb_it – for organising the food in the Anchor afterwards – was a great spread and much appreciated

Medders – for his photography, before and during the race

Kigelia – for his constant training tips leading up to the race

There are probably a couple of more people that I have missed off, and I apologise for that Thanks again to the various people who I saw around the course (suzi, Medders, Sco, Stu’s mum, GHE’s dad (who almost made me fall over!)), and everyone who has sponsored us so far.

I’m going to try and write a blog in the next couple of days if I get some time.

Thanks
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]ha, i was hurting at that point !

You don't look too bad considering it was 12 mile mark
  • I had to pee after the first mile & was joined in the bushes by a couple of women in full length lycra, I just said good luck & made a quick exit ! Great Day great laugh & the support for the runners was excellent so thanks to all of you that braved the weather for us.
  • Any finishing times?
  • Nothing official yet despite having a timing chip. And no text or info on official site until this evening.

Approx 2H 31 for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2008
    Some photos on Facebook at the start and finish lines.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61201&l=7ba57&id=561474740
  • Bout 2hrs 6mins I reckon for me
  • 2hrs 16 mins and 4 secs for me
  • About 2hrs 17 and 30 secs for me approx
  • edited October 2008
    I cant open that link wilma but i saw the picture you tagged of me... ta!!

I think i was about 2.28 and Tavern about 2.16. We split up at Mile 10 as i wanted to go at a much slower pace - he would have done it under 2 if it hadnt been for me hindering him. I had some breathing difficulties in greenwich park so had to stop for a bit. Once i recovered I plodded along for the last three on my own - i felt like i was going backwards.

Thank the good lord that is over.
  • You can thank Medders for the tagging!

I've made the album public so everyone should hopefully be able to view it now.

Well done again everyone.
  • I think mine was about 1 Hour 59 mins, could of gone faster but made a huge mistake of charging through the field for the first six or seven miles then realising I had gone far to fast too quickly & slowed down hugely at the end.
  • All the pre-race talk of dodging the roadsweepers but I'd reckon you all came in under 2:30. Superb.

Re the photo's - if anyone wants one printed, or just simply the file emailed to them, please give me a shout. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement in exchange for a small donation to Demelza...
  • Your family support was great yesterday Wilma. I did laugh the first time you yelled come on you reds! i was ready for you at charlton park!

And suzi sausage and medders and Sco. When i wanted to stop and cry on suzi's shoulder she made me run more, thanks Suzi. You were a star yesterday.
  • Great pics Medders, was impressed with your proffesional attitude especialy when you were taking the one of us with the flag and load of other people ran over to take pics, very paparazi ;o)