Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

IT Issue - Device Manager empty

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any help on this..

My laptop had been acting alwfully slow so I wanted to edit the programs that pop up at startup. I knew how to do this by running msconfig. So I done this but tried a Diagnostic startup thinking that the basic startup would be the best option. If this didn't work I could change it back to normal startup. Little did I know that when I have restarted it my device manager is totally empty and no programs can be installed, opended etc. I can't get my wireless network working because all the network drives have been disabled aswell. It doesn't recognise anything.
I tried looking into a system restore but I have never ran it before on my laptop so it won't let me go back to an earlier date. I thought the computer done this automatically?

Anyone on here had this problem before and know a way around it without re-installing windows (I don't want to loose office programs etc)

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• "All you have to do to undo what you did is go start->run, type in msconfig and on the general tab you'll see three options..."normal startup," "diagnostic startup," and "selective startup." Select "Normal startup" and restart your computer when prompted."

Not my words but hope it helps...
  • Thanks Sco but tried that several times. Even though i'm in normal startup mode none of my drivers work. They are all disabled and have no idea how to get them back as you can't enable them.

Anyone??
  • Have you recently upgraded to SP3? Assuming your running Windows XP?
  • Try this...

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f9/xp-msconfig-stuck-diagnostic-mode-solution-168447/