Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JImmy Sirrel RIP

The word legend is thrown about too much these days but Jimmy was certainly one. Out of the old School of Scottish managers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/notts_county/7635181.stm

Comments

• r.i.p mr notts county
  • surprised a few more people don't remember him. Maybe all the oldies are having an afternoon nap.
  • I remember him ....... manager at Notts Co for many years.

Got them promoted from 4th Division to 1st, an almighty achievement.

But only rarely did Notts Co cross our radar, we only played them a handful of times - one game that comes to mind was 1973 (was it?), when they were top of old Div III and we beat them 6-1, with 4 goals from young Flash. Except they were often all over us in that match and should have had a draw at the very least, lol

Did you hear the story of Sirrel's wife sadly dying on the morning of the match - and yet Sirrel told no one because he didn't want it to affect the team? And then they conceded in the last minute to lose the game by that one goal.
    What agony must have been going on inside that poor man's head?

He was their Bill Shankly - a legend in the true meaning of the word in the eyes of the Notts Magpies.
  • WSSWSS
    edited September 2008
    Nice one Sirrel.
  • RIP Jimmy Sirrel, certainly one of the old school.
  • Yeah a true legend. Won't see his like again I'm afraid to say.

Tottenham fan at work who claims not to be a "New Fan" and has a knowledge of football outside of the Premier League wouldn't have it that Sirrel never managed Newcastle. To prove her argument she quoted from the paper in front of everyone in order to try and prove me wrong "Ere clever clogs, what does that say under his picture in the paper then? "Sirrel: Magpies Legend""

New fans, don't you just hate 'em.
  • [cite]Posted By: Afternoon Delight[/cite]Yeah a true legend. Won't see his like again I'm afraid to say.

Tottenham fan at work who claims not to be a "New Fan" and has a knowledge of football outside of the Premier League wouldn't have it that Sirrel never managed Newcastle. To prove her argument she quoted from the paper in front of everyone in order to try and prove me wrong "Ere clever clogs, what does that say under his picture in the paper then? "Sirrel: Magpies Legend""

New fans, don't you just hate 'em.

LOL - would have loved to have seen her face when you put her right.
  • Great Sirrel quotes

"If ye dinnea score, ya dinnae win"

On Notts County's promotion hopes in 1981

"We're like Lady Di. She's no the Queen yet. SHe's not even married. But like us, she's nicely placed."

And my favorite football quote of all time

"The best team always wins. The rest is only gossip"
  • He was a constant feature in my early days as a football fan. Real old fashioned mostly one club manager. Used to be a lot around in those days.

A sure sign of getting old is that people you used to admire as a kid are now dying. Very sad.

RIP Jimmy.