Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The great sage 1905....

once said to me:

'When you move, you can't trust your house until you've had a decent storm'

Well at 1am i was woken by drip, drip, drip coming through the roof (and no it wasn't 04-MCS, Ketman and Arthur)

what's my chances of getting a roofer to replace a couple of tiles without insisting the whole lot needs doing ?

Comments

• woah there midget

hope they sting ya
  • LOL

sting me ? you're getting a cabbies mentality already ! how's that going by the way ?
  • hard graft mate. I am used to the 430 am starts now then doing a full days "work".

But getting there,

I'll have a word with the old man he knows a few roofers out your way
  • had a cabbie last week, asked him where he lived and he said the Isle of Wight !

Drives up, does 3 extended night shifts, kips in a cheap hotel then drives back.....
  • What are your typical hours Arf?
  • I know a few Charlton supporting builders if you need someone. One sits in the North Upper so at least if he mucks up you'll know where to find him. Look up Phil Dunbar Builders in the book as I can't find his number now. Lives Welling way so local to you as well.
  • i think i know him, late 30's? remember him from my youth down the camden/drayman. do see him around the north upper to nod to.
  • wss

I work shifts mate - start times anywhere between 0730 and 2pm

if i start at 730 i finish at 3 so I will go out on the bike until about 7 then home.

If it is 9am starts i will up and out at 430 get a few hours in then onto work.
  • when you say work arf, is that work as in, getting in your cab and driving, or are you still doing the bike around town learning part and do another job for now?
  • Blimey!
  • Sponsored links:

• 'When you move, you can't trust your house until you've had a decent storm'

Yep we paid a shed load for a surveyor to tell us that the roof etc was all in good repair. And then first heavy rain it was coming down the walls. I have a number of a local roofer in doors - he actually advised us against having a new roof, which at the time I was prepared to pay for.
  • That sound's like Phil. He drinks in the Liberal club and goes with Sharon and his son Dan who plays in the same team as my brother son. Also employers some other Addicks who were my dad's apprentices. Small world.

Went up to Chesterfield with him.
  • 04 - Still learning mate and then working
  • That is truly mental
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]That sound's like Phil. He drinks in the Liberal club and goes with Sharon and his son Dan who plays in the same team as my brother son. Also employers some other Addicks who were my dad's apprentices. Small world.

Went up to Chesterfield with him.

well assume its the same one, ive not spoken to him in years just remember him from long time ago.
  • I'll see him on Saturday in the Liberal club so I'll ask if he remembers you.

Do I have to wait until his wife's not around ;-)
  • no that would be perfectly fine, his mate married a schoolfriend of mine so thats how i really knew him.
  • AFKA I work in the industry where is your place?
  • Sidcup. I don't think its going to be much at all to be honest, all the tiles appear in place, maybe a couple come loose or its on the angle as it was dripping in through the eaves.
  • It could be your flashings mate. I will come round and have a look but it will cost you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was thinking that too unlikely to be the tiles probably running along the felt to the eave and then getting in EXPENSIVE!! winkey thing
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]Was thinking that too unlikely to be the tiles probably running along the felt to the eave and then getting in EXPENSIVE!! winkey thing

Arent you supposed to that suking of the teeth thing? ;-)
  • As a Chartered Building Surveyor, I can give you some free no nonsense advice AFKA.

MOVE!
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Yep we paid a shed load for a surveyor to tell us that the roof etc was all in good repair. And then first heavy rain it was coming down the walls.

I suggest you visit a no win no fee solicitor then. If you have written advice as to the structural integrity of the envelope of the building and this is found not to be the case - and water pissing in through a defective roof can definitely be construed as a failure - then that advice is wrong and you have a strong case.

If a surveyor cannot notice historic signs of water penetration through a roof structure then he's not worth his salt and deserves to get sued. If it's a firm, then they will have professional liability insurance and it won't cost them anything more than an excess anyway.

I stongly recommend this course of action - ohh and employ a decent surveyor next time ;-)
  • Damn right addickted, i make you right, if there is a case then you should go for it and sue some one! Us normal average Joe, we have to pay a fortune for the survey, a fortune for the house re-payments and some nob dont do his job properly! Afka, sue em man, i certainly would.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Yep we paid a shed load for a surveyor to tell us that the roof etc was all in good repair. And then first heavy rain it was coming down the walls.

ohh and employ a decent surveyor next time ;-)

SPAM!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Yep we paid a shed load for a surveyor to tell us that the roof etc was all in good repair. And then first heavy rain it was coming down the walls.

ohh and employ a decent surveyor next time ;-)

SPAM!!!

Nigel!