Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New to the site ? tell us where you live

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    brogib said:

brogib said:

Born in British Hospital for Mother and Babies, Woodhill
    Lived in Charlton till i was 14
    Then lived between Mottingham and Charlton (Horse & Groom)
    Then lived between Gravesham and Charlton (Horse & Groom)
    Now live in Uzerche, France

Brogib, genuine question - why France? and why Uzerche?

Never really 'got' the people who have moved to France, thought that Spain would have been a better/more logical place to go to for people wanting to escape.
    I never moved away from the UK to escape anything mate, I just wanted to live in a house in the countryside and was never gonna be able to afford it in Southern England, so I moved here and lived at my mums for a bit, then bought a place with a bit of land and a lake for 30,000 Euros. Never fancied Spain at all tbh (All though after staying with friends in their tip top apartment in the old town part of Seville, that appeals to me).

To answer the rest of your question, I'd need to know why you don't get France, but spain is more logical (If it's anything to do with the French being surender monkeys, I ain't interested mate)
    My Mrs lived in France for 8 years teaching English and she would move back there tomorrow. She loved it.
  • Options
    brogib said:

brogib said:

Never really 'got' the people who have moved to France, thought that Spain would have been a better/more logical place to go to for people wanting to escape.
    I never moved away from the UK to escape anything mate, I just wanted to live in a house in the countryside and was never gonna be able to afford it in Southern England, so I moved here and lived at my mums for a bit, then bought a place with a bit of land and a lake for 30,000 Euros. Never fancied Spain at all tbh (All though after staying with friends in their tip top apartment in the old town part of Seville, that appeals to me).

To answer the rest of your question, I'd need to know why you don't get France, but spain is more logical (If it's anything to do with the French being surender monkeys, I ain't interested mate)
    I agree with this. Not the same but my wife's mum's side of the family are from Germany. When I talk to my boss he still talks as if we're fighting a world war. He always try's to have a slight dig about nations based on some sort of outdated stereotypes. He loves the France white flag term as well, so pathetic
  • Options
    brogib said:

brogib said:

No, just more of an observation after having spent a lot of time in both countries(on holiday) in that it was always seemed cheaper to live in Spain than France (although maybe not now), and also that if you didnt speak the lingo then France was always tougher than Spain. Although cant argue about buying a place for 30k with a lake ! Did you speak French?, or if you didnt, have you now learnt it and 'integrated'?
    'Escape' was meant as to escape from UK and all its 'problems', not like escaping from enemies or Police or taxman etc.
    And Uzerche?
  • Options
    Born in Plumstead, now in Colchester
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Born in Lewisham hospital. Grew up in Brockley, went to primary school there, secondary school in Downham. My 6th form was in Lewisham. Went to University in Canterbury. Did my LPC in Guildford. Moved into Hither Green with my partner in 2007, left there to move to Azof st in Greenwich in Dec 2008. left there to go to Broadstairs in June 2011 (family reasons). Came back to Westcombe Park in Feb 2012. Stayed there until Dec last year and now live on the Forest Hill/East Dulwich border. That's my 33 years

I lived in Azof St for a couple of years (no 31) loved it, and The Pelton was a great local
    Yes very good - I was closer to the barrier on the end of the road, can't remember what number.
    Way before the barrier, we moved from there to Cairo in 97, kept in touch with the Collins (ran the Pelton) for a fair while, lost contact now, last time I spoke to them running an Irish pub in Ipswich.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Born in Lewisham hospital. Grew up in Brockley, went to primary school there, secondary school in Downham. My 6th form was in Lewisham. Went to University in Canterbury. Did my LPC in Guildford. Moved into Hither Green with my partner in 2007, left there to move to Azof st in Greenwich in Dec 2008. left there to go to Broadstairs in June 2011 (family reasons). Came back to Westcombe Park in Feb 2012. Stayed there until Dec last year and now live on the Forest Hill/East Dulwich border. That's my 33 years

I lived in Azof St for a couple of years (no 31) loved it, and The Pelton was a great local
    Yes very good - I was closer to the barrier on the end of the road, can't remember what number.
    Way before the barrier, we moved from there to Cairo in 97, kept in touch with the Collins (ran the Pelton) for a fair while, lost contact now, last time I spoke to them running an Irish pub in Ipswich.
    A nice little strip of pubs all along there. Pelton, cutty sark, the ship and the Trafalgar

Never tried that other one by the pelton, can't remember the name. Bit further along on the same road
  • Options
    edited June 2015

brogib said:

brogib said:

No, just more of an observation after having spent a lot of time in both countries(on holiday) in that it was always seemed cheaper to live in Spain than France (although maybe not now), and also that if you didnt speak the lingo then France was always tougher than Spain. Although cant argue about buying a place for 30k with a lake ! Did you speak French?, or if you didnt, have you now learnt it and 'integrated'?
    'Escape' was meant as to escape from UK and all its 'problems', not like escaping from enemies or Police or taxman etc.
    And Uzerche?
    I had more French than I had Spanish before I moved here, I obviously speak a lot more now; and now we've got the confidence, we're gonna get involved locally a bit more (Edit* Me and the Mrs I'm talking about, me mumand her husband are pretty much fluent). We always holidayed here as a family and when my mum retired, about 11-12 years back, she moved here. I would come out to do work on here place (Drylining and rewired it etc) and I would always stay on longer than I was booked for, so when I split from me ex, I thought I'd give it a go and never looked back. I spose the fact that my street was being over run by Slovak pikies helped in my decision to do it mind.

The Correze is a lovely part of France and Uzerche is just off the A20 (No, not the Sidcup by-pass ; )), so I'm in Brive or Limoges in about 30-40 minutes and back in the UK in 7 hours by train (Uzerche to Ebbsfleet with one change), or about 8 hours by car.

Spain has never apealed tbh, I have a vision of expat enclaves, eating roasts and English breakfasts and shouting at the natives in English just to make em understand

Also, we're kind of part of the Massif Central, which is lovely countryside..
  • Options
    Born in petticoat lane,went to the valley in early 50s loved it ever since now live in
    Bexley.
  • Options
    Born and raised in Beloit Wisconsin, about 2 hours from Chicago. Will be attending university in Northern Wisconsin and hope to one day relocate to South London or Kent
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:

Born and raised in Beloit Wisconsin, about 2 hours from Chicago. Will be attending university in Northern Wisconsin and hope to one day relocate to South London or Kent

We shoulda done a house swap Rossco pal, I'd love to live in the States ; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    brogib said:

Rossman92 said:

We shoulda done a house swap Rossco pal, I'd love to live in the States ; )
    Haha once my schooling is done I would be happy to oblige!
  • Options
    Born in Greenwich hospital, lived in Greenwich, moved to blackheath when I was 11, bought house in charlton with my ex wife when I was 20, split up with her 2.5 years ago her staying in house, rented flat in Bexley for a year and bought another house in bexleyheath last year