Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

OLYMPICS -Here we go

RIP off Britain.

Tessa Jowell says LONDON Council tax payers will "probably" have to foot the bill for SPIRALLING costs to the Olympic village for the GREAT BRITIAN Olympics.

I am not going to get into any argument with Ken Livingstone's lovechild about the pros of the Olympics. I am sure there will be loads. BUT I am livid at Londoners having to pay for it when the C**** keep calling it Olympics for Britain.

BOLLOX make the rest of Britain pay as well then. £5 per council tax dwelling in Britian would pay for it and some.

In 3 years we will be told oh the costs for something else has gone up. Then something else. YOU JUST KNOW IT.

rant over

CUE KLLC

Comments

• Agreed arf
  • where are you, rothko?
  • Agreed. I can not understand why us Londoners have to foot the bill. This is just the start - you wait untill the costs really start to spiral out of control.
  • it will only get worse, i think the £1bn oversend announced yesterday was purely related to the infrastructure of the village. We haven't even touched on the security costs yet...

I thought one of the main points of the Olympics was to learn from mistakes made in Sydney and Athens, and leave a sporting legacy for the benefit of the country. Its unbelievable the nearest 50m pool to London is in Paris, for example.

If that is the case, then the money should not solely come from london taxpayers pockets.
  • edited November 2006
    Too right. Im more than happy to pay some of the costs as I think it will be a great spectacle but why should we pay for the overspend? They Govt came up with the price, most people were happy with that, and now its gone up! They "tendered" for it FFS! The sooner this Govt pisses off the better...

It wouldnt suprise me if they knew it was gonna be this dear all along but hide the real costs from us until its too late....
  • London wanted it, so London's paying for it. You can't be fairer than that.

Thanks God Sevenoaks didn't put in a bid.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite] Its unbelievable the nearest 50m pool to London is in Paris, for example.

Nah, I know of at least three within half a mile of me.
  • as a londoner, its seems only fair that as london will see the benefit then london should cough up for it...of course, if any yokel wants to venture into london, be it for work or pleasure, then i see it as only fair that they contribute too...extend the congestion charging to include all london boroughs and slap a tax on commuting into the capital on public transport...
  • What about the increase in your property value? the rest of the country won't see that ! (Ducks runs for cover)
  • How about increasing the price to use the facilities once the games are over, e.g. cyclists pay a tenner to use the velodrome rather than a fiver?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]What about the increase in your property value? the rest of the country won't see that ! (Ducks runs for cover)

but then for every londoner who will benefit from that there will be another londoner that will make it even harder to get on the property ladder surely ?
  • There is also a bit of a difference between being in London and being a London Borough - cant really see Bexleyheath benefiting that much but we will have to contribute.
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]There is also a bit of a difference between being in London and being a London Borough - cant really see Bexleyheath benefiting that much but we will have to contribute.

Good idea but wouldnt that would mean running the 100m in Danson Park?
  • 1905 running 100m?

MWHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA
  • Two strides and I would be through that tape mate.
  • I did say there are pros for the Olympics. Yeah granted LONDON wanted it but we keep getting told it is for the whole of Britain.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]1905 running 100m?

MWHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA

Put a few free pints at the finish line and we could have a new Gold medalist
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Arfur[/cite]RIP off Britain.

Tessa Jowell says LONDON Council tax payers will "probably" have to foot the bill for SPIRALLING costs to the Olympic village for the GREAT BRITIAN Olympics.

I am not going to get into any argument with Ken Livingstone's lovechild about the pros of the Olympics. I am sure there will be loads. BUT I am livid at Londoners having to pay for it when the C**** keep calling it Olympics for Britain.[/quote]

Of couse Ken Livingstone's other lovechild, Richard Caborn (Minister of Sport) is also no doubt also boasting the pros of the Olympics. But does Caborn remember that his constituents were paying for the World Student Games for years after the event.
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Two strides.

Hmmmm.......
  • [cite]Posted By: Arfur[/cite]I did say there are pros for the Olympics. Yeah granted LONDON wanted it but we keep getting told it is for the whole of Britain.

did we get consulted tho? if we wanted the olympics in the first place?

I'm all for london olympics, and i'm all for birmingham something or other, or manchester something else, but i don't see why we can't all pay for it. maybe in tiers of some sort, as there may be benefits to those living in closer proximity to it? but essentially, everyone should contribute. its surely more a country thing rather than a city?
  • Sponsored links:

• Nah sod off. You Londoners can keep your Olympics & cough up for it...I was only interested in getting one over the french :oÞ
  • will londoners get FREE tickets to all events at the olympics then?

like some in local boroughs got tickets to the dome? they were inconvenienced for a couple of years, parking restrictions, jams etc, and people in eltham got free tickets.
  • "Two strides and I would be through that tape mate."

Addicted - atually I think I meant two strides and I would be in A&E.
  • [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Two strides and I would be through that tape mate.

think it might take me a little more....
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Its unbelievable the nearest 50m pool to London is in Paris, for example.[/quote]

I think the 50m pool at Ponds Forge, Sheffield is closer to London than any in Paris. There are 50m pools closer to London than Sheffield. But how many are also Olympic standard ?
  • 1 50m pool in London at Crystal Palace, the next one is in Paris, which has 13.

Cost of steel whacked up the Wembley bill, it's whacking up East Stand bill, unless China stops growing as an economy and slows down it's hungry for the stuff, it'll be expensive.

It'll be great for East London, it'll be great for South east London probably, will be great for people who want everything that London has to offer and gain, but live in places where they'll rather be Kent and Surrey, not so much.
  • I am looking forward to the horses in Greenwich Park, and the various other events being held in Greenwich.
  • I Shall Probably Be On A horse By Then To Beat The Congestion Charge, i Live Between Greenwich Park And THE DUSTBIN LID(A Dark And Depressing Place At Night)
    And Yes Local Residents In Greenwich Did Get Free Tickets To The Dustbin Lid, Only Went Once To See GREGORY ISAACS, Great Gig.