Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preston v Charlton - Pre match thoughts

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
So after a decent win, are expectations going to rocket sky high ?

What team would you pick, how do you expect it to go etc.

Comments

• Options
    The team that played against Reading, except swap Youga for Basey.

Bench: Elliott, Semedo, Dickson, Basey, Ambrose

Primus won't be considered, according to Pards.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i would settle for a point but i have a feeling we will take all 3

i can see playing this one out with skill and endeavor Bailey on the score sheet

Weaver

Moots Hudson forts Youga

Buzz Bailey Holland Ambrose

Varney Gray

bench
    Semedo Dickson toddy Elliot Shelvey
  • Options
    Just seen on the OS that Lloyd Sam is doubtful - that could Shelvey straight into the team, as Ambrose not really match fit?
  • Options
    Hi NLA, I can't see that Pards will risk Toddy yet even on the bench, for what will probably be a tough, physical away game.

More likely, he'll be on the bench for a home game - "to unlock packed defences", as Pards says.

Ambrose in place of Sam seems obvious on paper - but Ambrose hasn't had much training since his major op, and even 10 mins as sub last week isn't much preparation for what he'd need to do tomorrow if he started. So clearly not match-fit, and everybody will be on his back slagging him off, for not grafting and getting stuck in, if he starts.

I would have him on the bench, and give him last 30 mins if we need to chase the game.

With Moo2 playing, we need somebody in front of him who will cover defensively as well as being creative - Basey would be ideal there if he wasn't so left footed/wrong sided. It might be worthwhile playing Shelvey in that role, playing slightly narrow. He'll be bright and quick, not afraid to tackle and offers plenty going forward - and someone who can actually take a corner!

Otherwise, if there's no covering player, it might be better to leave out Moo2 and play Semedo in his place.
  • Options
    If fit, Id leave it as it was last week. If we do put out the same side, Id say we would edge a win. If Sam doesnt play, how about moving Moo2 up the wing and bring Semedo in at RB? Wont happen of course as Pards Pet is nearly fit again and is bound to play and that will leave Moo2 exposed at the back in which case I think at best we will get a draw.
  • Options
    http://www.lep.co.uk/ />
    Let's hope their injured defence will assist us. Although of course the opposite will happen.

Damn link not working. Basically St Ledger the centre half broke his nose and Jones another defender has 4 stitches above the eye after the midweek game against Derby. Callum Davidson the full back is also struggling with a knee injury.

So 3-0 to Preston probably :-)
  • Options
    If we can keep 11 men of the pitch, we won't lose. If Preston get one sent off,we will win. 11 against 11 and it will end in a draw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]If we can keep 11 men of the pitch, we won't lose. If Preston get one sent off,we will win. 11 against 11 and it will end in a draw.
    I wish every match was that simple!

I think we stand a good chance - it's amazing what an early goal can do as well so i'll be hoping for one. We've done it twice this season and the results have been great. Something we do not do often enough last season.

We obviously have enough to beat Preston and I think we will and should. Be good to see Gray get an away goal and Varney to get another up there. Really think the partnership is going to bear some real fruit.

3-1 to Charlton (Gray, Varney and Dicko in the last minute)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If Sam is injured and Ambrose still not fit I'd consider Semedo at Right Back and Moo2 Right midfield.

That way we still have the benefit of Moo2's pace.

I'd also bring in Youga for Basey.

Sorry just realised Telinoz has said the same thing!!
  • Options
    But we've still got no one who can take a decent corner ....... !!

(not that we get many each match - so maybe it's not an issue)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weaver
    Youga
    Jonny Forch
    Hudson
    Moo2
    Bouazza
    Bailey
    Holland
    Ambrose
    Luke, Luke, Luke Varney
    Gray

Subs
    Elliot
    JonJo
    Basey
    Dickson
    Semedo

I thank you :0)
  • Options
    I agree with what was said earlier, in that if Sam is doubtful, then I would put Shelvey out on the right.
    Yes, he is not a winger, but I think just getting another game in him, slightly away from the hustle of centre midfield with stand him in good stead. He can still pick out killer passes from the right hand side.
  • Options
    Hard-fought but pretty dull 0-0. Used up all the excitement last week!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Hard-fought but pretty dull 0-0. Used up all the excitement last week!

Don't fancy going, then Weegie .....?

But then it is Preston - and not Blackpool.

(remember you going all the way from Glasgow to Blackpool last year, to see us get a caning)
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Now on the OS:

Ambrose could get his chance sooner than expected. The Harlow-born ace is in line for his first start of the season at Preston North End on Saturday if Sam fails to recover from a knock.

However, other options are available to Pardew and some first-team tinkering could see right-wing roles for one of Luke Varney, Yassin Moutaouakil or Hameur Bouazza if Sam's injury fails to heal in time.

Also:

"Toddy's still got a little bit to do," said Alan about the Bulgarian who had knee surgery last season. "But Ambrose looks fine."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Hard-fought but pretty dull 0-0. Used up all the excitement last week!

(remember you going all the way from Glasgow to Blackpool last year, to see us get a caning)
    ;o)

I've decided going to see the mother-in-law is a better option than Preston this weekend, Oggy.

Will never, ever be going anywhere near Blackpool again, but am planning on Swansea away this season, so prepare for us to get thumped then!
  • Options
    I'm sure we could really have PNE playing with their backs to the wall if Ambrose makes the team.

The way he makes runs into the box late really puts teams under pressure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

;o)

I've decided going to see the mother-in-law is a better option than Preston this weekend, Oggy.

Obviously, last season's Blackpool match has left you scarred for life, Weegie .......

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red

Obviously, last season's Blackpool match has left you scarred for life, Weegie .......

;o)

I was an optimist before that experience, don't you know ;-)
  • Options
    Can't see is getting a result like last year, see us more of a home team this year.

Same side for me other than Youga, don't understand all this Semedo nonsense, poor mans Paul Bacon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When was the last time we won in the north-west? Even in the Premier league we always seemed to play badly against NW clubs.

Provided everyone is fit I'd replace Basey with Youga and go with an extra defender on the bench. Hopefully we can play with a bit of determination and graft a result of some sort out. Too often last year we played well in one game and then poorly in the next, consistency is the key and even if we lose I hope it's a going down fighting result rather than a tame surrender.
  • Options
    Same as last week is a good shout, but with one change; Jonjo on the right instead of Sam. Personally I think Sam is a good winger but he looks shattered after 70 minutes and Im of the belief that Shelvey can deliver a better ball.
    Also despite the fact that Basey lloked a little shakey last week I'd keep him in the squad 1. for a bit more confidence 2. he has an air of leadership about him, help pull the team through.
  • Options
    Agree with NorthStandUltras team.

Weaver, Youga, Hudson, fortune, Moutaoukil, Bouazza, Bailey, Holland, Ambrose, Varney, Gray

Subs
    Elliot
    Semedo
    Basey
    JonJo
    Dickson

score / Preston 1-2 Charlton
  • Options
    2-1 PNE woopwoop
  • Options
    welcome Andy,

what's behind your good start to the season ?

Haven't noticed you particularly making stand out signings, so will be interested to know why things have picked up so well
  • Options
    Preston have just signed the lump that is Jon Parkin so that will be a big test for the defence.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "The Beast" ..........!

17 stone (SEVENTEEN!) - as the BBC teleprinter might have put it

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PNE-Andy[/cite]2-1 PNE woopwoop
    Congrats Andy.