Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quick survey: Ever had the pox?

edited August 2008 in Not Sports Related
Chicken pox that is. Mate of mine - he knows who he is, don't you "Gorgeous George"? - has just got it for the second time, in his mid-thirties!

So, have you had it, once, twice or more, or not at all??? Go on, ask your mum.

Comments

• Options
    i thought you could only get it once?
  • Options
    No but normally second time around it manisfests itself as shingles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]i thought you could only get it once?

You can get it twice although its rare.
  • Options
    Apparently he had a very mild dose - chicken pox that is! - when he was young but is now absolutely covered in it and has been layed up indoors for the past two weeks.

Was on the phone to him earlier and he reckons that he's just waiting for the last few pus filled boil like things to burst before he is allowed out - to the pub.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If he's got any mates with kids between three and ten that haven't had it - tell him to get round and infect them ASAP. The older kids get without catching chickenpox the worse it is - and catching it as an asult is a nightmare. My ex missus caught it when she was in her mid twenties. It lasted for six weeks, she had them absolutely everywhere - including on the inside of her mouth and throat - and, as she was black and quite dark-skinned, the scars looked pretty grim on her for a good couple of years afterwards. They faded away, but are still visible - she hates them and they're a constant reminder of how awful the experience was.

I had it when I was five and don't even remember it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Apparently he had a very mild dose - chicken pox that is! - when he was young but is now absolutely covered in it and has been layed up indoors for the past two weeks.

Was on the phone to him earlier and he reckons that he's just waiting for the last few pus filled boil like things to burst before he is allowed out - to the pub.

It's generally nasty in adulthood. Obviously he didn't have it bad enough first time to trigger his immune system.

My son had it aged 8 and he was completely covered from the top of his head to the tips of his toes including his willy, the inside of his mouth, on his ear lobes. I had never seen a kid with it so badly.
  • Options
    That's cos you're hard Leroy!
    ;o)
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    Both my sister and I have had it twice, once when I was five and once when I was thirteen. The second time was horrible - I was practically coated from head to foot with calamine lotion. Not an experience I'd want to repeat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had the pox as a baby and then had shingles when I was about 14. Don't remember shingles being too bad... head felt similar to having a bad cold and the spots themselves were pretty itchy
  • Options
    My youngest just had it quite mildly a couple of weeks ago but my eldest (3 1/2) has it now and I've never seen it so bad. Absolutely covered in large pus fulled blisters, inside of her mouth, throat, ears, inside of her eyelids, and has picked up secondary infections of conjunctivits and tonsilitis. Poor thing didn't sleep for three days and nights. Finally getting over it now, a week later.
  • Options
    several years back my MRs came back from a holiday in Thailand. day later she phones me at work freaking out. She had this rash all over. I wasnt 100% it wa CPox and phoned my DR, but i got some one who spoke 3 words of English with the wind behind em. They said "take 2 parasetamol and go 2 bed". So i said "what if its measels ?" and was told ""so what ? well i says "are you aware that measels is a reportable desease?". "no is it ? "

FFS she didnt even know that !!!

I went to the WWW and found some pics of both measels and Cpox and sorted it out myself.

we were gona need "an ocean of calamin lotion"
  • Options
    I've had Chicken Pox, Measles, German Measles - not had mumps though, now there's something you don't want to get in Adulthood.
  • Options
    Had chicken pox and mumps as a child, but only memory is of a saucer of calomine lotion being available to stop the itching.

My son managed to get chicken pox and then 3 weeks later german measles (and all before the age of 1)- how's your luck eh
  • Options
    I had chicken pox and mumps as a child too. i think i also had german measles at some point.

my mum had shingles a couple of years ago, which isn't 'the adult chicken pox' that people think it is. she had really bad marks on her stomach and back and suffered for months with it with the aching pain. once you get shingles you're never completely cured and it can come back at any point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    my mum had shingles a couple of years ago

yeah, my mum's had a couple of bouts of shingles too - only had a small mark on her back but really suffered with pains.
  • Options
    The other one teens get is Glandular Fever now thats weird , you feel total cak, there is a rash of sorts and basically there aint F all can be done.
  • Options
    Had Chicken pox at 25, and probably the worst experience illness wise I ever had. 100+ temperature, unable to eat or sleep for a week, in hospital for a couple of days, and off work for 3 weeks. Just nasty, really hits you hard as an adult
  • Options
    yes

Not nice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My son caught chicken pox when we were holidaying in florida....had to spend another 5 days there which was nice...
  • Options
    I've been diagnosed with chickenpox at the grand old age of 41 (and on holiday too). Anyone else want to share war stories about having it as an adult?

Winning the primary school prize for 'Best Immune System' doesn't look so clever now.
  • Options
    carlsberg said:

i thought you could only get it once?

that's aids
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The one time I knew for sure that my father was pleased with me was when I got chicken pox.

I got it just before the Tokyo Olympics in 1964 and passed it onto him too.

We spent an enjoyable if itchy fortnight or so watching the sport as, I've subsequently learned, it was the first Olympics to have 'blanket' coverage thanks to Telstar!
  • Options
    I know I've had chicken pox but don't remember it, so was obviously v young
  • Options
    I got it when I was 11 and hardly even noticed it. Gave it to my parents who were laid up for 2 weeks and couldn't move. My daughter caught it when she was 3, a day before we we went on holiday. Still went and apart from a few spots you wouldn't have known she was ill.
  • Options

I've been diagnosed with chickenpox at the grand old age of 41 (and on holiday too). Anyone else want to share war stories about having it as an adult?

Winning the primary school prize for 'Best Immune System' doesn't look so clever now.

Had shingles when I was 18 after being dumped and in a job where my boss and his wife were racists and basically thought I was stealing from them (they're Turkish, I'm white English) and all my mates had gone to uni whilst I took a gap year. Felt a bit fluey for a few days but apart from the itching was fine. Use Calamine lotion, imagine pouring the most relaxing cold water over yourself on a hot day and that's what it feels like when you put it on.
  • Options
    Got measles on Christmas day when I was 10, got Chicken pox the following year on Christmas day. The doctor even visited me, aah the good old days of house calls. Recently had the shingles shot, cost a couple of hundred dollars here in Canada, but well worth while as shingles can be really nasty, had a friend who had it and he really suffered
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I got it when I was 16 - I was quite pleased as it was a day before I was due to start my first job. It was quite satisfying calling in sick on my first day.
  • Options
    I had chicken pox at the age of 17. I had huge spots absolutely everywhere, head to toe, inside and out. Very unpleasant experience, I don't think small pox was far off.